Windows 10: Icon Positions

Discus and support Icon Positions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gdavej, Nov 26, 2017.

1. gdavej Win User

Icon Positions

I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem.

I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect my display to a big screen TV, the icons move around... a familiar story. I've tried all sorts to resolve this:

1 desktopok... tried this, but it has never worked for me, and doesn't even save the current icon layout, tried with AutoArrange off, tried running as administrator, moved the exec away from the C:\ProgramFiles. Nothing works.
    2: Stardock Fences... I moved all the icons into one great big fence, but again after screen resolution change, the icons in the fence had moved around.
    3: tried exporting the icon positions in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop, then moving icons, and importing the registry entries. However, as soon as I refresh the screen, or reboot, the registry reverts to the changed positions, not the original.

This is so frustrating, why Microsoft can't solve this simple problem is beyond me. Can anybody suggest any solution that I haven't tried, other than never playing the games that change resolution.

:)

gdavej, Nov 26, 2017

2. Desktop Icon positions

I'm on Windows 10 Pro V1703

I have two screens with icons on the left side of one that occupies 7 columns, about 1/3 screen width. I've organized them as I like and they used to stick where I put them.

Recently, when I reboot the system the icons may jump to the other screen or not, and they will move around in a random fashion.

Auto-arrange is NOT selected, align to grid is selected. Icon size is correct and consistent.

Trying to figure out why the keep moving around

MartyAtias, Nov 26, 2017
  3. Desktop Icon positions

Hi Anthony,

Have you read Brutus' posting? He apparently did NOT find any solution, his multiple attempts did not fix his problem. That was nearly two years ago, has Microsoft still not found or fixed the problem?

MartyAtias, Nov 26, 2017
  4. win10er Win User

Icon Positions

Mine move around what I have to shut it down with things still open, very annoying.

win10er, Nov 26, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi gdavej and welcome to Tenforums.
    I've never tried this little program, but maybe it will help?
    http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http...toprestore.htm

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Icon Positions

1. Icon Positions - Similar Threads - Icon Positions

2. How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?: I use my notebook with Windows 11 with several different monitors and every time the system shuffles all icons to some default positions. It is very annoying. I need to find a method how to save the positions of my icons to be able to retrieve them on monitors with different...
  3. How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?: I use my notebook with Windows 11 with several different monitors and every time the system shuffles all icons to some default positions. It is very annoying. I need to find a method how to save the positions of my icons to be able to retrieve them on monitors with different...
  4. How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...: How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the clock?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-the-old-copilot-icon-position-in/70cf0413-b01d-4c04-8348-8fba90dfefba
  5. How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...

How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...: How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the clock?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-the-old-copilot-icon-position-in/70cf0413-b01d-4c04-8348-8fba90dfefba
  6. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  7. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  8. Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...: Randomly when my PC wakes up from sleep my desktop icons will move left 1 grid position. This seems to only happen when there are icons placed on the right side of each screen. I have gone through all the steps you will find searching online such as auto arrange off, lock to...
  9. Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...

Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...: Randomly when my PC wakes up from sleep my desktop icons will move left 1 grid position. This seems to only happen when there are icons placed on the right side of each screen. I have gone through all the steps you will find searching online such as auto arrange off, lock to...
  10. compres icones position on the screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compres icones position on the screen: compress icone on the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compres-icones-position-on-the-screen/d90bd2a8-34d9-452d-aa29-92742c683689