Windows 10: Icons and thumbnails dissapeared

Discus and support Icons and thumbnails dissapeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, I'm running out of ideas. All of my icons dissapeared yesterday for some unknown reason. On desktop there is just blank space where they should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alittlekill, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Icons and thumbnails dissapeared

Hey,

I'm running out of ideas. All of my icons dissapeared yesterday for some unknown reason. On desktop there is just blank space where they should be, only the text description of each shortcut or file remains. No icons are showing in explorer either. The only place where I can see them is the start menu. Also the iconcache.db file is nowhere to be found.

What I've tried so far:
    -fixing it with the .bat that should force windows to rebuild the file
    -rebuilding the file with command prompt
    -reverting windows to eariler date
    -uninstalling yesterday's update (which couldn't be done btw., but reverting to last working state got rid of it apparently)
    -done a complete scan for viruses and malware (nothing found)
    -running the system file checker in cmd (it found some corrupted files and fixed them, but according to log nothing even remotly connected to icons or thumbnails)
    -during all of that restarted pc probably 50 times just to be sure.

and that's about it. Any ideas what to try next? (aside from the obvious answer - reinstall windows)

:)

alittlekill, Mar 22, 2016
  2. miamicx4 Win User

N96 20.050 new bugs !!!??

The Thumbnails of Contacts do not also show on "Speed Dial" anymore. It used to show the thumbnail pictures on Speed Dial. Not anymore. Icons and thumbnails dissapeared :(

miamicx4, Mar 22, 2016
  3. PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 windows explorer

Windows 10's windows explorer does not show PDF thumbnails, only the PDF icon.... Checked all of my icon/thumbnail settings all are set to show thumbnails not icons ….. 95% of my work is with PDF's please fix or inform how to switch back to 8.1 …... NO PDF
    THUMBNAILS IS HURTING MY BUSINESS....

ChrisMalchow, Mar 22, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Icons and thumbnails dissapeared

Perhaps try to make a new user and see, if the problem is system wide or user dependent. Otherwise I have no idea, but must be stressful.

AndreTen, Mar 22, 2016
  5. Thanks for the idea. I just tried it, but it doesn't work on other users either. Just a screenshot to show you what I'm dealing with:

Icons and thumbnails dissapeared [​IMG]

wow... and now I'm even more confused... When I was choosing the image to upload, all icons and thumbnails are working in that "choose your file" window. (using chrome as browser)

Icons and thumbnails dissapeared [​IMG]

6. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  7. Thanks, but that didn't do anything either. I even tried to run a repair install of windows, but for some reason it's not allowing me to check the keep all my programs installed or even keep just the personal files options. (and yes, I'm trying to run it from the same dvd I originally installed it before)

I guess I'll either get used to using windows without icons, or just give up and reinstall everything.

8. davidhk Win User

When that DVD was created, what was the Windows 10 version ?
    Was it 10240 ?

What is your current Win 10 version ?
    Is it 10586 ? ( Type winver in the search box > press Enter. That will show your Windows 10 version ).

If yes to both of the above, that is why you had trouble using the old DVD for reinstall.

Try this method. Please make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Use the Tech Bench link below to download Win 10 iso file:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 ( 1st one on the list )> click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    Select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    At the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  9. I'm an idiot, it didn't occur to me that the version nr. would change with updates. Anyway, it worked. And now my icons are working again. Thank you for your help.

10. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    Happy computing.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons and thumbnails dissapeared - Similar Threads - Icons thumbnails dissapeared

2. Icons on the taskbar dissapear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on the taskbar dissapear: I have a laptop. And when I'm using another display, my icons on the taskbar disappear. After I click them, they appear again. How to fix it?This problem happens only when i use another display....
  3. Icons on the taskbar dissapear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on the taskbar dissapear: I have a laptop. And when I'm using another display, my icons on the taskbar disappear. After I click them, they appear again. How to fix it?This problem happens only when i use another display....
  4. Icons started dissapear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons started dissapear: Hi! I was searching for an UWP app and then its icon was not there. It was like a corrupted photo icon in the explorer. Im running Windows 10, build 2H02. Only when I search them are like that. When I have in the taskbar pinned, they are normal.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Can someone...
  5. Icons started dissapear

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Icons started dissapear: Hi! I was searching for an UWP app and then its icon was not there. It was like a corrupted photo icon in the explorer. Im running Windows 10, build 2H02. Only when I search them are like that. When I have in the taskbar pinned, they are normal.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Can someone...
  6. Icons dissapearing

Icons dissapearing: You see i have a hi dpi device 1920x1080 and if i set my scaling to 100% then restart my laptop then all the icon disappear but i want to set my scale to 100% help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-dissapearing/bb15d5f0-2391-4e7f-8dbb-e5c48e194043
  7. icons or thumbnails?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icons or thumbnails?: My pc has started to show mostly icons instead of jpeg photos how can I reverse this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-or-thumbnails/c0f8aefb-25b0-4384-a70e-f9d95bb1a02b
  8. Bluetooth icon dissapeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth icon dissapeared: I had my PC working properly and running version 1803- Windows 64 bits. on 10/10 I had the cumulative update (KB4462919) installed and currently running OS Build 17134.345. I have Bluetooth Mouse & Keyboard combo (MX5000/MX1000) from Logitech which is running properly but...
  9. Dissapearing Icons

Dissapearing Icons: All my windows Icons Such as Windows Defender, Groove Music, Sticky Notes , Microsoft edge, All Microsoft apps are invisible on my task bar, For Example, refer to the attached image, i have tried sfc Scan, DSIM , Deleting Icon Cache from Appdata folder, nothing works. I have...
  10. Icons and thumbnails

Icons and thumbnails: Hi all, hope you can help. Ok, in Windows 7, when changing the desktop pic, you could see thumbnails of the pics you wanted to select. I have fixed this in windows 10, all well and good, BUT, I now have thumbnails of pics on my desktop that previusly were just icons. I'd...