Windows 10: Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update

Discus and support Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having the same issue. My icons look like this: [img] This is happening only for the following programs: 1. All MS Office Professional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DanielDC88, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ThisGuy Win User

Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update

I'm having the same issue. My icons look like this:

Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update [​IMG]

This is happening only for the following programs:
    1. All MS Office Professional Plus 2013 programs
    2. Skype
    3. Remote Desktop Manager

If I unpin them while running, the icon comes back. If I subsequently pin them, they disappear again

Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update [​IMG]

I've tried many different suggestions including rebuilding the icon cache.

This is really unbelievable and pathetic.

-Randall

ThisGuy, Jul 22, 2016
  2. jtbryant Win User

If you are wondering why your icons have gone missing, it's generally a permissions issue. I have seen a huge number of updated machines with this issue.

C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop and C:\ProgramData are the two folders that need to be fixed, perhaps one more if the store icons are an issue.

The Start Menu is under ProgramData, and the applications installed for all users have their icon stored in the Public Desktop.

An easy fix is to grab the permission from a similar machine. If you export the permissions on a working machine you can then import them using icacls.

The text file will look like this:

PublicDIcons Blank/Missing After Windows Update :pAI(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)(A;OICIIO;FA;;;CO)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICIIO;0x1301ff;;;IU)(A;;0x1200af;;; IU)(A;OICIIO;0x1301ff;;;SU)(A;;0x1200af;;;SU)(A;OICIIO;0x1301ff;;;S-1-5-3)(A;;0x1200af;;;S-1-5-3)S:AI

You don't need everything, just that first piece since the permission will be recursive.

The command is icacls C:\ /restore programdata.txt on the machine you are trying to fix.

On the working machine it's icacls C:\ProgramData /save programdata.txt /t /c

Hope this works for you.

jtbryant, Jul 12, 2017
  3. I just had the problem and found the solution on answers.microsoft.com. I only needed to do the first part.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/icons-missing-their-specialized-image/3f1f7108-2984-4071-afd8-5bec9cceda38?auth=1

Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
    I would suggest you to rebuild the icon cache and check if the issue is resolved.
    Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database:
    1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
    2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
    3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
    4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
    5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
    6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
    7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    EXIT
    8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
    9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

If the issue still persist, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check.
    To create a user account:
    1. To open User Accounts, click the Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
    2. Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Click Create a new account.
    4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

UncleElias, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update

1. Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update - Similar Threads - Icons Blank Missing

2. After 22H2 update icon is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After 22H2 update icon is missing: Icons on taskbar are missing after this long update of 22H2. I cant find it anywhere at the same time the system tray icon are also missing. I look and found out that many people reporting this, and I want to resolve mine. Please help me....
  3. WIFI icon missing after updating Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI icon missing after updating Windows: I cant seems to connect using WIFI since icon no longer appears in my tray or settings. I need to use my laptop in so many area in the house so I need that WIFI. How can I make it back?...
  4. WIFI icon missing after updating Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIFI icon missing after updating Windows: I cant seems to connect using WIFI since icon no longer appears in my tray or settings. I need to use my laptop in so many area in the house so I need that WIFI. How can I make it back?...
  5. WIFI icon missing after updating Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. WIFI icon is missing after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI icon is missing after update: My PC got updated and my WIFI icon went missing. How can I fix this one I dont know enough about computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-icon-is-missing-after-update/ff63595a-9236-44af-a209-70e88390261e
  7. WIFI icon is missing after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI icon is missing after update: My PC got updated and my WIFI icon went missing. How can I fix this one I dont know enough about computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-icon-is-missing-after-update/ff63595a-9236-44af-a209-70e88390261e
  8. Taskbar Icons Missing After Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Icons Missing After Update: After the last update, some of my taskbar icons are missing. The apps themselves are still there, it's just that the space where the icon should be is all black. The ones affected are: Mail, iCloud and Voice Recorder. I have tried unpinning and resetting but the result is...
  9. important icons missing after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    important icons missing after update: After another Windows 10 update, my battery icon disappeared from the taskbar. Following the steps provided in the help center do nothing, as the option to restore the icon to the taskbar is grayed out in Settings. There is no option to 'restore hidden icons', either....
  10. Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer: This is the first issue I haven't able to resolve after using Windows products for years I recently bought a monitor to use with my laptop while at home. Whenever I disconnect my laptop from the monitor and then shut the laptop down, upon restarting I lose all my desktop...