Windows 10: icons changing to white and empty

Discus and support icons changing to white and empty in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I made some shortcuts of my Microsoftgames/store/photos etc. to the desktop , they are ok and stay ok . But when placing these icons ( they are all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pietcorus2, May 4, 2017.

1. icons changing to white and empty

I made some shortcuts of my Microsoftgames/store/photos etc. to the desktop , they are ok and stay ok .
    But when placing these icons ( they are all blue) to an other folder ,they chance to empty white icon !
    What can we do to restore these icons , and keep them as they should be ! ?

:)

pietcorus2, May 4, 2017
  2. chocolla Win User

Blank/empty/white taskbar icons

Hello!

I tried the methods you suggested and none worked. First, regarding your questions, I did nothing to my system settings and even resetted my windows and the problem occured again. MY laptop is a Toshiba Sattelite, the model no is c50-a-1jv.

The first method: didn't do anyting. I ran the troublehooter and it asked me to change the location (of the apps, probably, I can't remember) ad the second time I did, nothing was found wrong.

The second method messed up my windows. I did everyting as instructed and then restarted my computer. The windows didn't load and instead, two messages appeared telling me there was a problem and that windows is trying to fix it. Because it couldn't fix the
    issues, I had to reset my windows again...

I attached here the photos of the two messages:

icons changing to white and empty [​IMG]

chocolla, May 4, 2017
  3. Blank/empty/white taskbar icons

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Did you make any changes in the system settings prior to this issue?

2. What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to download and run the
    app troubleshooter from the below link and check.

The app troubleshooter will automatically notify you if there’s a problem with an app and try to fix the problem. If you continue experiencing problems with an app, or if you're unable to open the Store,
    try running the Apps troubleshooter.

This tool can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps and the Store.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2: Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot “to reset computer as usual

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 4, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

icons changing to white and empty

Many are reporting some kind of strange icon behavior; however, very few (if any) are providing the resident W10 version.

I think if you provide the specific version of Windows 10 you are running and the exact method you are using to move the icons (ie, cut and paste, drag, etc) at least someone here could do a comparative test and you could go from there.

For the record, I have just tested the cut/paste and drag methods on W10 version 1703 , build 16188.1000 and the icons retained their original state when moved.

Good luck,

5. Right. Im on 1703 and placed these shortcuts from startmenu to the desktop. So far so good, the icons remain ok.
    Problem starts when cut or past these shortcuts to a folder on the desktop, they immediately chance to white/empty ! Dragging them back from this folder to the desktop , they chance in the original icon again !
    After a reboot they all look normal again, but sometimes white and empty still...........
    Any idea ?

pietcorus2, May 5, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Hmm... that is really not the complete build version. try running the winver command and post it here like so:

7. Sorry, this must be clear now..........

pietcorus2, May 5, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

Out of interest, my winver shows:

My system (also Windows 10 Home), shown in Windows Update as up-to-date, seems not to be up-to date when compared to post #4 above. My system is set for automatic updates.

Why please?
    EDIT: Ignore. He is on an Insider version.

Stevekir, May 5, 2017
  9. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Now that we know you OS version is 1703 build 15063.250 maybe someone will do a proper comparative test for you.

10. i believe it happens when you remove the shared overlay for some reason. from what i see here the ones that had this overlay are the only ones that became a blank icon.

fyi i doesn't matter which version of 10.

ChaChaLaBoom, May 5, 2017
  11. " the shared overlay " .................?? What is that..........??

pietcorus2, May 6, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    No @Stevekir, not an Insider. That's the Creators Update.

Some bright spark in MS did a redesign of the icons for Photos et. al. for the Creators Update. In 1703 they are now white icons on a transparent background. Fine for everything except the Explorer window, such as the one @pietcorus2 sees when opening a folder - there the background is white too. *Banghead

13. icons changing to white and empty

Looks like a non-default theme? It could be that. I tried enabling the Aero Lite theme, and it screwed me up. If it is a theme try changing it back to a default one to see if it still happens.

Bobby Phoenix, May 6, 2017
  14. Its ok now, thank you all, made a reset of the icon-cache ,and a new rebuild , its ok ............!*Smile

pietcorus2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. icons changing to white and empty - Similar Threads - icons changing white

2. Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu: I am looking to change the text possibly the icon displayed in the context menu when right clicking on the recycle bin. I have seem plenty of people show how to remove or add it from the context menu, but how would one alter it?...
  3. Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu: I am looking to change the text possibly the icon displayed in the context menu when right clicking on the recycle bin. I have seem plenty of people show how to remove or add it from the context menu, but how would one alter it?...
  4. Recycle Bin icon not changing when emptying

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin icon not changing when emptying: When I empty my trash the icon does not change from one with trash to an empty one. If I run the mouse over the icon it updates and changes to empty. I tried a DISM software check and rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin from admin CMD. There seems to be nothing wrong. Searches...
  5. White icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White icons: Hi all, haven't been around for yonks. The reason?? After canning W10 for ages and sticking with W7 for as long as possible, I capitulated and went all W-tenny a couple of years back, have had only a few hiccups and surprise, surprise, have grown to like it......like, not...
  6. White Icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    White Icons: Hi. I got a issue with my pc, after today released update, games icon became white. Things were like this, firstly i got update today in the morning and i didi restart as how should it be and then everything were perfectly fine. I turn off pc and after couple of hours when i...
  7. Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work: I liked the recycle bin icons used in Windows 8 better than Windows 10, so I changed them successfully to the Win 8 version. But, the new icons do not change to reflect full / empty even though both have been changed. The standard Win 10 recycle bin icons do work okay when I...
  8. White paper icons and empty folders!?

in Windows 10 Support
    White paper icons and empty folders!?: Hello, I have windows 10 home operating system on my laptop I have a problem with my file folder. when I first open it it shows that it works fine. [img] However I've notice that on the left I see the OS and D drive as white icons. When i access any folders and then...
  9. Program icon randomly changing to White icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Program icon randomly changing to White icons.: Some of my program shortcuts have changed to white file icon pictures. the shortcut still works just fine but they just missing the icon... when i load a new icon in the place of the old one i get a little shield on half the icon... no idea what that is ether. Ive had this...
  10. White Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White Icons: Forgive me girls and boys if I am in the wrong section for desktop issues. My brother has recently installed Windows 10 and has one annoying issue; all of the desktop icon shortcuts that pertain to Windows apps are fine but the ones that are url shortcuts are white; as if...