Windows 10: Icons for PNG files shown in Windows Explorer rather than thumbnails

Discus and support Icons for PNG files shown in Windows Explorer rather than thumbnails in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello All, After uninstalling software which allows the user to view 3D files (as well as most image/movie files), I could not get thumbnails to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by edsager, Sep 22, 2015.

1. edsager Win User

Icons for PNG files shown in Windows Explorer rather than thumbnails

Hello All,

After uninstalling software which allows the user to view 3D files (as well as most image/movie files), I could not get thumbnails to show in Windows Explorer for PNG and MP4 file types. I figured that since I was going to upgrade to Windows 10, I would allow said upgrade to "fix" the issue for me.

After upgrading to Windows 10, I could see thumbnails of MP4 files, but not PNG.

Things I have done to get back the PNG thumbnail generation:

• Rebuilt Icon Cache
    • Cleared Thumbnail cache
    • SFC /scannow
    • Scheduling a check disk to run on boot (both options for fixing stuff were checked)
    • Enabled Thumbnail Previews in Folder Options
    • Enabled Thumbnail Previews in Visual Effects
    • Tried every option from here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    • Reinstalled Windows 10 upgrade.

Nothing has helped. Still icons, no thumbnails for PNG files.

Anyone have any insight as to how I might get back PNG thumbnails in Windows Explorer?

Thank you,

:)

edsager, Sep 22, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

pictures

Hi RUSSELL, if you want to open a picture file, double click it, or right click and choose Open With - Choose an App

If you want to see thumbnails rather than icons in Windows File Explorer:

Open Windows File Explorer

On the View Tab, choose Small Medium or Large icons in the Layout Section

At the end of the view Tab, click Options

In the resulting dialog, click the View Tab

At the top of that list uncheck 'Always show Icons never Thumbnails'

DaveM121, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Sambob101 Win User
    Taskbar not showing popup icons for multiple windows

If I only have one of a certain type of window open on my taskbar, then when I hover over the icon for it, a thumbnail of the window will pop up as expected. If however, I have 2 or more of the same type of window open on my taskbar, (e.g. 2 File Explorer
    windows) then when I hover over the icon, the names of the windows will be displayed rather than the thumbnails of the windows. How do I change this so that the thumbnails appear when I have multiple of the same type of window open and I hover over the icon
    on the taskbar?

Sambob101, Sep 22, 2015
  4. edsager Win User

edsager, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Icons for PNG files shown in Windows Explorer rather than thumbnails - Similar Threads - Icons PNG files

2. Can a screen shot be titled rather than filed by "screen shot #.png"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a screen shot be titled rather than filed by "screen shot #.png": When I take screenshots windows and prt sc I would like to at least have the date of screen shot, preferably be able to title/save as by name. When I look in the screen shot folder I see the screen shot number, which don't seem to have the latest shot at the end of the list....
  3. Can a screen shot be titled rather than filed by "screen shot #.png"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a screen shot be titled rather than filed by "screen shot #.png": When I take screenshots windows and prt sc I would like to at least have the date of screen shot, preferably be able to title/save as by name. When I look in the screen shot folder I see the screen shot number, which don't seem to have the latest shot at the end of the list....
  4. PNG thumbnails are displayed cropped as a square on Windows Explorer

PNG thumbnails are displayed cropped as a square on Windows Explorer: Windows 11 is cropping the *.png thumbnails in the file Explorer. It doesn't do it for the *.jpg or other types of files.This is very annoying: I work with image all the time and when I need to find or replace any *.png file it gets tricky because Windows Explorer is not...
  5. .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer: Hi there,-> Windows 11 is cropping the *.png thumbnails in the file Explorer. It doesn't do it for the *.jpg files.This is very annoying: I'm a graphic designer and when I want to replace an existing file with a new version, I don't see the full image as thumbnail but only a...
  6. .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer

.png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer: Hi there,-> Windows 11 is cropping the *.png thumbnails in the file Explorer. It doesn't do it for the *.jpg files.This is very annoying: I'm a graphic designer and when I want to replace an existing file with a new version, I don't see the full image as thumbnail but only a...
  7. PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail: I had this issue a few months ago, where all my PNG files stopped showing their preview thumbnails on the picture icon. This happened at the same time when my applications started losing their icons images (such as the "Configurations" app, Calculator, and 3rd party...
  8. PNG Icon overlays the video files thumbnail

in Windows 10 Customization
    PNG Icon overlays the video files thumbnail: Hi all, Well, I have been researching in this (and other forums) and I still can't fix this. Actually in my Windows 10 there is a PNG icon overlaying the thumbnail of video files. This happened after I just tried to change the default icon of VLC player, but now, all the...
  9. Folder Photos: Showing Thumbnail Photos Rather Than IrfanView Icons ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Photos: Showing Thumbnail Photos Rather Than IrfanView Icons ?: Hello, I have a Folder on my Desktop in which I have placed many photos. The listing shows up just fine, and if I click on one of them, it opens perfectly. No problems. But, the listing in the Folder only shows a small IrfanView icon for each of them, and then a...
  10. Folder Photos: Showing Thumbnail Photos Rather Than IrfanView Icons ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Photos: Showing Thumbnail Photos Rather Than IrfanView Icons ?: Hello, I have a Folder on my Desktop in which I have placed many photos. The listing shows up just fine, and if I click on one of them, it opens perfectly. No problems. But, the listing in the Folder only shows a small IrfanView icon for each of them, and then a...