Windows 10: Icons going blank when opening folders in apps then returning

Discus and support Icons going blank when opening folders in apps then returning in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My desktop icons are turning into blank pages and quickly back to normal when I try to open a file browser from within any application. I've gone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by joesith17, Mar 23, 2018.

1. joesith17 Win User

Icons going blank when opening folders in apps then returning

My desktop icons are turning into blank pages and quickly back to normal when I try to open a file browser from within any application. I've gone through everything with Microsoft and HP to troubleshoot it and reinstall all of the relevant hardware drivers. I just installed this Windows a few days ago. I have another updated Windows 10 machine where this happens, too but with much less frequency and they blink much more quickly. On that machine, often it doesn't happen at all. It only has two non-MS apps installed, this one has like 10...all heavy duty 3D and 2D graphics applications.

Thanks.

:)

joesith17, Mar 23, 2018

2. Icons?

Not that it's a big deal but

Why are the Icons Disappearing from the Apps Menu since the last Update?

No. The "Apps" aren't disappearing...you can still see them. But the icons are going blank. This appears to happen on start up and on restart.

Once you click the app the icon returns but where is it going in the meantime? A plain gray folder is not so attractive as the icon one normally associates with that folder so why for is this happening?

Are the encoders at Microsoft Update just doing this to freak with our minds?

PS: Yes, I should have said "Tile" not folder.

CassMorrison_2005, Mar 23, 2018
  3. All my folder icons, app icons and the like are now gone, and i cant restore them.

This isnt missing icons, the pictures of the icons are gone, all of them, from everywhere.

My folder icons are blank, my app icons are blank, my system properties window does not open.
    Please help me!

SkullBonez, Mar 23, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

How much RAM do you have installed? Under your profile, it says "Memory 64" I think the Max amount of RAM for this motherboard is 32GB. Maybe you mean you are running 64bit Windows?
    If you have 4GB or less then you should increase that, especially if you are running Windows64 bit.
    When you open a window, the computer puts the command into RAM or Memory and if there isn't sufficient amount of RAM, the computer will have to "Think" for a split second before it loads back the icons.
    If you do have more then 4GB then try running a Clean Boot. If that works, add one startup item or service rebooting each time, until the computer starts to lag again. Then you will know the problematic program.

spunk, Mar 23, 2018
  5. joesith17 Win User
    Thanks. I think it goes up to 128. I have 64 of RAM and the OS is 64 bit so I didn't mean to be unclear.

joesith17, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons going blank when opening folders in apps then returning - Similar Threads - Icons going blank

2. All apps show a blank icon and can't be opened.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    All apps show a blank icon and can't be opened.: So, I booted my computer up and it said scanning disk so I thought that was a bit weird.Then, it booted and the icons for all apps were gone, the windows icon button wasn't working, the search bar wasn't working, I couldn't open file explorer and when I tries the sfc /scannow...
  3. All apps show a blank icon and can't be opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All apps show a blank icon and can't be opened.: So, I booted my computer up and it said scanning disk so I thought that was a bit weird.Then, it booted and the icons for all apps were gone, the windows icon button wasn't working, the search bar wasn't working, I couldn't open file explorer and when I tries the sfc /scannow...
  4. All apps show a blank icon and can't be opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. App icons are blank and properties doesn't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App icons are blank and properties doesn't open: Hi, after turning my pc off and back on today, it booted up unusually fast and the icons of apps and files don't load.On my desktop, the only thing shown are the names of the apps and for the apps on the top of my screen, there's no space for any icon, as in the app name is...
  6. App icons are blank and properties doesn't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App icons are blank and properties doesn't open: Hi, after turning my pc off and back on today, it booted up unusually fast and the icons of apps and files don't load.On my desktop, the only thing shown are the names of the apps and for the apps on the top of my screen, there's no space for any icon, as in the app name is...
  7. App icons are blank and properties doesn't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Icons going blank (losing images)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons going blank (losing images): Hi all, I've had this odd issue for a while now, and it's driving me batty.Now and then, the icons for some of the programs on my desktop will just go blank, as though the program has been uninstalled. The program still works fine, it's just the icon image that's gone. If I...
  9. Icons becoming blank when put inside of a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons becoming blank when put inside of a folder: [ATTACH] Recently, I decided to move my game shortcuts inside of a folder because I wanted my desktop to look cleaner. BUT when I moved the games inside of the folder, some of the icons became blank. Does anyone know how to fix this? or at least why it's happening?...
  10. White blank screen when open an app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    White blank screen when open an app: I got white blank screen when open some program, but it's still click-able button if i can found the button location. Like if i click the "cancel" button it will close the program like if its normal. this is the example of "white blank screen" when i run docker. It's not...