Windows 10: Icons have been replaced with squares.. help?

Discus and support Icons have been replaced with squares.. help? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some of my icons in my settings panel have been replaced with squares (for example the Battery and the Storage icons). I know that means that the icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NotEvenEvan, May 11, 2017.

1. Icons have been replaced with squares.. help?

Some of my icons in my settings panel have been replaced with squares (for example the Battery and the Storage icons). I know that means that the icons are either missing/corrupted but I have no idea how to solve this issue. Please help!
    Icons have been replaced with squares.. help? [​IMG]

:)

NotEvenEvan, May 11, 2017

2. Desktop Icons have been replaced with Apps at startup

Boy, do I feel stupid. Thank you. I have been trying to find an answer all morning.

frustrated with junk, May 11, 2017
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Desktop Icons have been replaced with Apps at startup

You're in Tablet Mode! Switch back to the Desktop (click on the 'speech bubble' at the bottom right and click Tablet Mode again to disengage)

Erdeslawe, May 11, 2017
  4. jds63 Win User

Icons have been replaced with squares.. help?

Run option 3 here Run SFC Command in Windows 10
    Then after that finishes copy and paste this command and run it also, let it finish
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reboot the PC and see if it has helped.

jds63, May 11, 2017
  5. sfc/ scannow came up with zero detected problems... I did the "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" command afterwards, rebooted my system, and the square icons were still there. no change at all *Sad

NotEvenEvan, May 12, 2017
  6. jds63 Win User
    Try it more then once these commands and reboot afterwards. When did this occur and was any drivers or software added just before ?
    May have to do a inplace repair upgrade. Did you recently take the Creator's Update for Windows 10 ?

jds63, May 12, 2017
  7. Yeah, I recently updated to the Creators Update but that isn't the problem. I recently tried to change my font and I hated it so I attempted to change it back. I was successful but the icons were replaced..

8. jds63 Win User

jds63, May 12, 2017
  9. jds63 Win User
    Any system restore points before this change ?

jds63, May 12, 2017
  10. jds63 Win User
  11. Tried rebuilding both icon and font caches, nothing worked. And no, no system restore points before that point.

12. jds63 Win User
    I am not sure of any other way to undo what has been done other then doing an inplace repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I assume like many you did the creator's update through Windows update and have no install media. Follow the tutorial and use the Media Creation Tool to download installation media (this is good to have for repair). It's always good to make system restore points before making any changes so you can go back.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons have been replaced with squares.. help? - Similar Threads - Icons been replaced

2. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  3. Mute Icon appears as a square

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute Icon appears as a square: Whenever I mute my PC, Instead of the mute icon, I see this square:Please help. Also, this started happening when I changed my Windows Explorer font using Registry Editor....
  4. Desktop icons are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  5. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  6. Have these keyboard shortcuts been replaced?

Have these keyboard shortcuts been replaced?: I have frequently used the Windows shortcuts of alt+space and win+x, but they no longer work as they did they may they trigger different operations. I used alt+space to maximize/minimize/restore my screen, and win+x to bring me to the section of the start menu where I could...
  7. Have these shortcuts been replaced?

Have these shortcuts been replaced?: I have frequently used the Windows shortcuts of alt+space and win+x, but they no longer work as they did they may they trigger different operations. If they've been replaced, what are the replacement shortcuts?...
  8. Square icons on Wifi Icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Square icons on Wifi Icons: Hello, I'm in build 2004 of Windows 10, I just upgraded my windows but when I tried to connect to wifi, there's a square icon overlaying the wifi icons, I tried to rebuild the icon cache and run sfc and dism commands but still the problem exist. Any help will be appreciated....
  9. Thin blue square on icons

Thin blue square on icons: I removed the arrow from my desktop icons, but i see there is now a thin blue square around most icons. The blue line seems useless and clutters the icon. Does anyone know how to get rid of those blue lines? And why do they appear on some icons and not on others? 21967
  10. Desktop icons with blank square

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with blank square: Installed W10 8 days ago Today after a restart some of my desktop icons have a white square in front of them I made the view on large icons , normaly i use smal then only the white square is showing I tryed an icon-cache-rebuild without success Solved by restoring a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icons have been replaced with squares