Windows 10: Icons keep moving

Discus and support Icons keep moving in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't think anything. Place your icons where you want them and then do what you normally do. My expectations is that your machine will run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Icons keep moving

I don't think anything.

Place your icons where you want them and then do what you normally do. My expectations is that your machine will run normally, then in the afternoon, tomorrow, your machine will run out of power. Windows will protect itself and hibernate based on the 10%.

When you get back to machine you will plug it in and click the power button. Windows will wake up and your icons should be where you left them. (Fingers crossed.) Some machines don't hibernate well. The assumption is this one will.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
  2. bikeit Win User

I recently noticed when i put my laptop into sleep mode and awake it the icons are all on the left hand side of the screen, anyone know how i can prevent this happening?

:)

bikeit, Apr 15, 2018
  3. Icons keep moving!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run SFC (System File Checker) scan.

• Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
    • After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Run the DISM Tool.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      command prompt(admin).
    • Type the following commands in command prompt one by one and press Enter after each command.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Method 3: Perform Clean Boot.
    I suggest you to perform a A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows
    10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

* Place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any third party programs.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

a. Using run command.

• Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
    • Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

b. Using Cortana.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      msconfig
    • Select the top most search result.

Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot
    for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for
    Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 15, 2018
  4. Steelpen Win User

Icons keep moving

Icons keep moving!

I've had a new computer with Windows 10 for a week now, and whenever the computer is restarted, or when I switch between accounts, all of my desktop icons are rearranged, and it is infuriating! Auto arrange is turned off, I've tried different registry fixes,
    and nothing!

How do I permanently fix this problem??

Steelpen, Apr 15, 2018
  5. Hi bikeit.

Any chance Auto arrange Icons is enabled?

Right click clear area desktop, view, Auto arrange icons.

If it is disabled, no check mark, I would enable, place a check mark, then restart and disable. Hopefully changing state will enforce your settings.

Caledon Ken, Apr 15, 2018
  6. bikeit Win User
    Caledon Ken have tried your suggestion and will report back with how it goes. Thanks.

bikeit, Apr 15, 2018
  7. bikeit Win User
    Caledon Ken have tried your suggestion and will report back with how it goes. Thanks.

bikeit, Apr 16, 2018
  8. AndreTen Win User

Icons keep moving

bikeit,
    could you also check Reliability history, if there are any system problems (restart, instead of wake from sleep, or similar). It's much easier to see problems in there, than in Event viewer..

Problems with graphic drivers could also lead to such problems.

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2018
  9. bikeit Win User
    AndreTen how do i check reliability history? also how do i check if the graphics card has any problems?

bikeit, Apr 16, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Click on Start (bottom left corner) and start typing reliability - it should show in Search box - click on it. We can check on drivers later..

Icons keep moving [​IMG]

post a picture of what it shows

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2018
  11. bikeit Win User
    I cannot get the screen shot to save so i can post it here? any help please?

bikeit, Apr 16, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Here are tutorials for posting screenshots

Basically, press WIN+Shift+S keys together and cross will appear. Mark the area to copy, deselect that A/A mark in top right corner of Reply box and press Ctrl+v *Smile

Icons keep moving [​IMG]

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2018
  13. bikeit Win User

Icons keep moving

Icons keep moving [​IMG]

bikeit, Apr 16, 2018
  14. AndreTen Win User
    bikeit, now click on "View technical details" and post what it says in both Windows error (there would probably be just Windows was not properly shut down) and under AAM Updater
    Check if occurrences of that errors coincide with your problems - icons moved to left...

Something is preventing your computer to go to sleep, or hibernate (properly).

I would disable that Adobe updater and also fast startup. If your laptop is mostly on table (you're not taking it around much), you could try to disable hibernation altogether, but wait with that.

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2018
  15. bikeit Win User
    Icons keep moving [​IMG]

bikeit, Apr 16, 2018
Thema:

Icons keep moving

1. Icons keep moving - Similar Threads - Icons keep moving

2. Icons keep moving in my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons keep moving in my desktop: Hello everyone!I have Windows 11, the 'auto-arrange' option is unchecked, but every time I drop a new archive onto my desktop, all the other icons shift one place, as if the new one dropped wants to reach the first position on the left, but it doesn't, and is placed where I...
  3. How to keep icons from moving?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep icons from moving?: I have two screens and I want all my icons to stay on the main screen but they move every time I shut down. How do I keep them in the same place? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-keep-icons-from-moving/2cd6691a-52f9-46c3-a029-315446f001b1
  4. How to keep icons from moving?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to keep icons from moving?: I have two screens and I want all my icons to stay on the main screen but they move every time I shut down. How do I keep them in the same place? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-keep-icons-from-moving/2cd6691a-52f9-46c3-a029-315446f001b1
  5. Google Chrome icon keeps moving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Chrome icon keeps moving: My google chrome icon keeps moving to the same place every time after getting a second monitor, any ideas how to fix this? submitted by /u/NathanPotter340 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lfbiet/google_chrome_icon_keeps_moving/
  6. Desktop Icon keep moving

Desktop Icon keep moving: My desktop icon keep moving and I unable to keep them still, I tried the method right- click then select desktop unable to select desktop * * [ATTACH] Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact...
  7. Desktop Icons keep moving

Desktop Icons keep moving: So this has been an ongoing problem for me for months at this point. Every time I restart or shut down my computer my desktop icons rearrange in a way that I did not set. I have gone through many of the common fixes and have had success temporarily fixing it through some...
  8. Windows 10 Icons keep moving

Windows 10 Icons keep moving: So I am currently having a problem where when I restart or shutdown my computer my icons reset to positions that I did not ever put them in. I have looked online for solutions and have tried everything including, deleting my icon cache files, going into the command prompt as...
  9. Desktop Icons Keep Moving

Desktop Icons Keep Moving: Hello, Every time my screen goes black, because it has been 15 minutes (screensaver setting) or I wake it from Sleep Mode, all of my icons are moved to the other side of the screen. I just find this really annoying to move them back to the order I had them. Is there a...
  10. Icons on desktop keep moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on desktop keep moving around: Have tried researching this annoying problem and found several long threads from 2015 with various confusing answers involving several registry changes. Has this common problem been definitively solved yet and if so can someone please post the solution here 55644