Windows 10: Icons Layout Backup

Discus and support Icons Layout Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi! I wonder if there is a way or a program that allows to save the desktop icons positions and layout. I don't mean that I have an issue with icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by AlphaUMi, Jul 22, 2016.

1. AlphaUMi Win User

Icons Layout Backup

Hi! I wonder if there is a way or a program that allows to save the desktop icons positions and layout. I don't mean that I have an issue with icons not preserving their position after a reboot, I mean I would like to have a backup in order to restore my layout quickly, for example after restoring the icon cache ecc...

I remember that, in the XP times, there was a dll (well, two: one for saving and one for restoring). Any suggestion? *Smile

:)

AlphaUMi, Jul 22, 2016
  2. theking2 Win User

Start menu settings lost

Thanks!

But what you describe I don't need. I simply want to make a backup of the Start Menu layout and restore it when Windiows screws it up again. I have file history on but it doesn't help as I don't know in which file the Start Menu layout is stored. Also all
    your other suggestions point in the direction of files.

So I ask the question again:

How do I backup and restore the Start menu icons and layout.

theking2, Jul 22, 2016
  3. An update was installed on the night of Dec 14/15, 2017. My start menu items/tiles/icons were reset.

The start menu layout that I had before the update has been replace by default icons.

Can I get the old layout back? It's been < 8 hours since the update completed.

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup**

Augustine Roten, Jul 22, 2016
  4. simpk5 Win User

Icons Layout Backup

I use "desktopok". Though not as convenient as the dll you mentioned, this seems to work well.

simpk5, Jul 22, 2016
  5. AlphaUMi Win User
    Thank you for your suggestion simpk5, I'll give desktopok a try for sure!

AlphaUMi, Jul 22, 2016
  6. Newmaven Win User
    Desktop OK has worked for me for several years--but as of this week, it no longer does. I have a two-display setup, and for the past few days, the stuff on the left-hand screen (display 2) keeps migrating to the right-hand screen (Display 1), and some of the icons on the right-hand screen shift, too.

I'm running Win 10 Pro x64, nView Desktop Manager, & DisplayFusion (which I'm not so sure I need).

Newmaven, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Icons Layout Backup

1. Icons Layout Backup - Similar Threads - Icons Layout Backup

2. Keyboard Layout icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Layout icon: How do I change the icon displayed in the language bar for different keyboard layouts (in Windows 10)? If, for example, I switch from QWERTY to Dvorak, both are English and display the exact same icon, so there's no way to tell the difference before you start typing. In...
  3. Keyboard layout

Keyboard layout: I have just purchased a Lenovo V110 laptop. I have set the keyboard to UK, but whenever I reboot, it reverts to the US layout. I can change it to UK by pressing the windows button + space bar, but the next time I boot up it goes back to US layout. How can I stop this...
  4. Keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard layout: Hi I am trying to get the keyboard I am used to (Canadian Multilingual) where the way to type "à" is first the accent key then the letter. This keyboard also gives me the french style quotation marks when I type shift 2. Thanks in advance Robert...
  5. View Layout Icons

View Layout Icons: In the lower right corner of the File Explorer there are two icons that have something to do with View Layout: 'Detail' and 'Large Icons'. I would like to: 1. Add the 'List' view because this is the type I often use, or: 2. Replace the 'Large Icon' with 'List'....
  6. Edge Layout

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Layout: In the main page when opening Edge, under each of the sites I have set as specific sites to open when launchingEdge, there appears a mini display of each URL. This is really annoying as it takes up a chunk of page space and I am continually having to scroll down to access...
  7. How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?: On the Internet I found how to backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10. copy %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms to a save place. (restore is to copy that saved file over the source file) but instead of the file: appsFolder.itemdata-ms I find...
  8. Why is the mail icon different from the layout & mail in outlook.com?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Why is the mail icon different from the layout & mail in outlook.com?: frustrating. I use a pop server. When I click on the 'red' envelope for mail in the window icon, it comes up with my email name, inbox, sent, draft, just the basics. I cannot add folders. BUT when I go on-line and log into the actual Microsoft outlook.com itself, the layout...
  9. Partition layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition layout: Hi guys Reinstalled Windows 10 on my new PC, then cloned the HDD to a new SSD and i wanted to check if the partiions and their layout is correct. Please see the photo attached and let me know if it's OK. Also, i'd like to create a recovery drive, should i have it on a...
  10. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10: This tutorial has been updated to work again. *Smile 3088