Windows 10: Icons not showing up on desktop

Discus and support Icons not showing up on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ripsky4501, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Icons not showing up on desktop

Hello all,

I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, or whatever, they don't show up. Copy-pasting a file to the desktop, it doesn't show up. However, I can see all the stuff I've copy-pasted by going to the Desktop folder in my User folder: everything is there. It just doesn't show up visually on the desktop itself.

This problem occurred soon after I cleaned up my desktop of all icons, including deactivating the My Computer and Recycle Bin icons. I'm not sure if doing that is related to this.

Any ideas? Thank you.

:)

ripsky4501, Jul 18, 2016

2. Desktop Icons not showing on Start up

Hello Julia,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2: Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal
    startup after fixing the issue.

Method 3: Creating new user account.

You may try to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Start menu and then click on Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and press Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jul 18, 2016
  3. Desktop Icons not showing on Start up

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• Are you able to view the icons on Start Menu?
    • Are you able to view the icons on desktop when you login with other user account?

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1:
    Microsoft Account Troubleshooter

If the issue persist with the particular user account then I suggest you to download and run the
    Microsoft Account Troubleshooter and check.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to follow method 2 and check.

Method 2:
    Rebuilding the Icon Cache.

Close all windows that are currently open and follow the steps provided below.

• Launch Task Manager, using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key.
    • In the Process tab, right-click on the Windows Explorer.
    • Click on End Task.
    • In Task Manager, click on File menu.
    • Select Run new task.
    • Type CMD.EXE, and click OK button.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

EXIT
    • In Task Manager, click on File menu.
    • Select Run new task.
    • Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK button.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if the issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 18, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Icons not showing up on desktop

5. Thank you for the reply. That potential solution didn't work.

A few more symptoms to add: clicking and dragging on the desktop does not present the usual box with which to select things; I can right click and make a new folder, document, whatever and it will show up in the my Desktop folder in Users.

ripsky4501, Jul 18, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Right click on the desktop > View > Show Desktop Icons.

Icons not showing up on desktop [​IMG]

Make it sure that it is checked.

7. That did it! Thank you so much. *Smile

ripsky4501, Jul 18, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

You are welcome. Let us know for any further issue.

Thema:

1. Icons not showing up on desktop - Similar Threads - Icons showing desktop

2. Desktop icons not showing up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop icons not showing up.: When I go to my desktop, all of the icons are gone and that white-ish box on the top left of the screen is then there, I don't know what it could be. Has anybody had this before/knows how to fix it?...
  3. Desktop Icons Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Not Showing Up: Hey everyone, so this morning I turned on my PC and everything worked fine its just that none of the icons on either the desktop, taskbar or any folder icons show up. Its only the names that show up, I tried some methods on YouTube by deleting some icon cache and restarting...
  4. Windows Icon on Desktop not showing up

Windows Icon on Desktop not showing up: For me, the icons on the desktop don't have the icons showing up. So like the apps on the desktop don't have their icons showing up. And also in apps like File Explorer the icons also don't show up.[ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  5. Desktop Icons not showing up, just words

Desktop Icons not showing up, just words: [ATTACH] This is what my desktop looks like, all icons are just words, it is the same in my files as well. I have restarted my computer countless times and nothing works, please help me!...
  6. Desktop Icons not showing

Desktop Icons not showing: Hello I have an issue with desktop icons not appearing in the Desktop FOLDER The icons appear if I look at the Desktop directly. If you look at screenshot, TeamViewer shortcut, The Outer Worlds shortcut and Steam shortcut do not appear in the Desktop folder. [ATTACH]...
  7. All my desktop icons are not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All my desktop icons are not showing up: there is a white bar in the top left corner of the screen and when i right click on the desktop no menu shows up how can I fix this submitted by /u/Ro807Pan6a [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/izl8o8/all_my_desktop_icons_are_not_showing_up/
  8. desktop icon image not showing up?

desktop icon image not showing up?: Hello! Basically a couple icons on my desktop are missing their images. [ATTACH] "minecraft" and "streamlabs" I'm betting that If I just reinstall both programs, it'll fix it but was wondering if there's another solution. Thanks for your time and have a good day :D...
  9. Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?: Hi! I just got a new laptop the other day, and for some reason all of my app shortcut icons have changed to a plain white document icon. See below: [img] Why did this happen and more importantly, how do I fix it? For convenience and aesthetic purposes. iTunes is the only...
  10. Show Desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Desktop icon: I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro and find that the 'Show Desktop' rectangular space at the far right side of the notification area is missing although posted desktop images Windows 10 have the same rectangular space. However, if I hover the cursor over the screen border in that...