Windows 10: Icons on desktop doubled

Discus and support Icons on desktop doubled in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have everal icons on my desktop. Some were short cut icons one day I started up my computer and they all doubled. I have no idea why. Does anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Frank1, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Frank1 Win User

Icons on desktop doubled

I have everal icons on my desktop. Some were short cut icons one day I started up my computer and they all doubled. I have no idea why. Does anyone have any idea what happened?

:)

Frank1, Oct 4, 2017
  2. cgmurray Win User

double clicking icons not responding

The desktop icons that I have added. For example Yahoo, ESPN, Fox Sports go etc. Before if I doubled clicked the ESPN icon I went directly to that site. After this windows defender program if I double click the ESPN icon it takes me to the Bing Homepage
    and this is for every icon I have added to the desktop

cgmurray, Oct 4, 2017
  3. drives

Or double-click the This PC icon on the desktop.

Or directly open File Explorer.

RobertJWin, Oct 4, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Icons on desktop doubled

@Frank1

Hi there, Frank. How are you?

This will be checking some Registry entries and changing them if wrong, so you'll want to back up the Registry first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...try-in-windows

1. Press WinKey+R > type regedit and press Enter

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

- Make sure it’s set to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

- If not, double-click on Desktop key > Copy it from here and paste it into the Value data box > Press OK.

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

- Make sure it’s set to %PUBLIC%\Desktop

- If not, double-click on Common Desktop key > Copy it from here and paste it into the Value data box > Press OK.

4. Close Regedit and restart your system.

Tony K, Oct 5, 2017
  5. Frank1 Win User
    Thanks, Tony—I checked my registry and it is set the way that you suggested and it is set the way it should be. Without knowing it, I must have just been lucky and fixed it because, a couple of days ago I ran CCleaner and checked the registry. It found a bunch of issues and I chose to fix all issues. I backed up the Registry first and then did the cleaning. So, all is well now. Thanks again.

Frank1, Oct 5, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Frank. Glad you got it fixed. *Smile

Don't use it anymore, but that is one good feature of CCleaner when one is careful using it.

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Icons on desktop doubled

1. Icons on desktop doubled - Similar Threads - Icons desktop doubled

2. Icon on taskbar become double

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon on taskbar become double: I have pinned the Google Chrome icon on taskbar. But after I click to open the Chrome, the icon become double and open new the chrome in the new icon. How to stop the icon from becoming double?I have attached the images. Please, have a look at it....
  3. desktop suddenly has doubled icons

desktop suddenly has doubled icons: double icons on my desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-suddenly-has-doubled-icons/21cdbdd3-47c1-4d81-ba99-c84b0ec0f53d
  4. Microsoft Edge Icon Doubling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge Icon Doubling: Hello, I have two identical computers used in a music production facility. Identical CPU (Intel i7-9700), identical RAM and amount of RAM (Corsair DDR4, 32GB) , identical graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GT 1030), identical OS and OS version (Windows 10, 1909 latest updates)...
  5. Double desktops?

Double desktops?: The screen flashes to black background and then back to white and makes a sound before switching screens or when I choose something that it cannot do. I thought it was this computer, but I signed into a brand new computer and it does the same thing. It must be my set-up....
  6. Double desktops?

Double desktops?: Computer seems to have two different desktops going at the same time. When switching documents or programs, a black background desktop flashes and then returns to normal screen....
  7. Right pointing double angle icons on all desktop file icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Right pointing double angle icons on all desktop file icons: Last week, all of my desktop file icons now have blue arrows next to them. Looks like this >> but blue. This is NOT the compressed arrow icons that everyone has in their threads. Can someone help me get rid of them? Using Windows 10. Thank you. 149408
  8. Can't disable "Double-click to Hide Desktop Icons"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't disable "Double-click to Hide Desktop Icons": How do I disable "Double-click to Hide Desktop Icons"? I went into the Local Group Policy Editor and tried to disable it there but it doesn't work. While on the desktop I'll sometimes double-click by accident and it'll hide the icons. It gets annoying after a while. Any info...
  9. Extended screen double desktop icons

Extended screen double desktop icons: I have extended screens with icons on each screen some of the folder and shortcuts is doubles like Chrome and My PC. When I'm unplugged the second screen all his icons moves to the laptop screen. My question is if there is any way to save desktop for one screen and a...
  10. Double Office Icons

Double Office Icons: Hello, About a month ago, I got a new computer for university. The computer came in with a trail version of office, which I got rid of, and later installed it again, this time with the university credentials. The problem is that I have a pair of duplicate icons in my "All...