Windows 10: Icons on Desktop move when saved

Discus and support Icons on Desktop move when saved in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by steve1711, Aug 5, 2015.

1. steve1711 Win User

Icons on Desktop move when saved

Hi
    This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then save them, Windows moves them to different places on the desktop.

This never used to happen on Windows 7 - any help please.

:)

steve1711, Aug 5, 2015

2. Desktop icons

Greg,

I deleted IconCache but when I went to see if it worked by moving an icon on my desktop and then right clicked to refresh, the icon did not move back. It seems like there is a step missing where I need to save the positions of the icons on my desktop. Any
    other suggestions?

Lou

LouisPadula, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Save desktop icons gettting rearraged

Using Windows 10, my wife switches users to her log in. When I log back in all the desktop icons are rearranged. Since I have the icons where I want them and know where to find them it is very frustrating when the move. How do I keep them in place?

OP - Save desktop icons location

RobertLLofland, Aug 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there are a couple of extensive threads on this topic in the forum already...

dalchina, Sep 23, 2015
  5. As i posted on a similiar topic thread, try a small program called 'Desktop OK' -

DesktopOK 4.16 Save and restore the desktop icon positions.

It takes a 'snapshot' of where you place your icons and stores it - so if Windows doesn't hold them in place, you can restore the icons to the way they were when the snapshot was taken.

Great little program - i've been using it for many a year!

AthanasianCreed, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons on Desktop move when saved - Similar Threads - Icons Desktop move

2. Icons moving on desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons moving on desktop.: Hello, few days ago I started having problems with icons on Desktop. They are moving to secondary monitor when i turn monitors into extended mode, half stay on main monitor and second half is going to other monitor. When I switch to one monitor only they get back to thier...
  3. Desktop Icons Moving

Desktop Icons Moving: Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on....
  4. My laptop icons move when I move my desktop icons

My laptop icons move when I move my desktop icons: So when I download a new app, or move an existing icon on one device(desktop), it does the same thing on the other device(laptop). It’s getting kind of annoying and I want the 2 devices to keep their own apps independently, so does anyone know how to help? Much appreciated....
  5. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Moving: I have files and shortcuts that run down the left side and across the top of my screen that I keep for easy access. Whenever I save a new file to the desktop it goes to the upper left corner and moves things. I've done the usual uncheck auto arrange and align to grid checks,...
  6. Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor loses control when moving desktop icons: Version 1903 (OS Build 18363.535 When trying to re-arrange desktop icons the cursor often is not able to move them. This happened some time ago, but I have no recollection of the remedy. What must I do ? Thank you. And all the best for the new year. 147617
  7. Saving Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Desktop Icons: Hi, I would like to save my Desktop Icons positions, without using a 3rd party app like DesktopOK. I've read somewhere that if you open a .txt file, enter something, close the window, but don't click Save, leave that window open, then Log off, Windows will prompt you to save...
  8. Moving icons to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving icons to desktop: I have been trying to move an icon from my start menu to my desktop for the last hour. I have tried every method offered to me. The problem seems that the icon itself does not have any way for me to move it to the desktop. I have tried to use right hand button, etc, I...
  9. saving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    saving desktop icons: Sorry if this has been asked before I missed it. My number one gripe with with windows 10 is my icons get messed up. Is there a way to save desktop icon positions, or a program that will do this. 57961
  10. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...