Windows 10: icons refusing to delete

Discus and support icons refusing to delete in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I installed chessking but it took over my pgn files, I have a default program for that, so I uninstalled chessking and all that I can find of it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Wood, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Wood Win User

icons refusing to delete

I installed chessking but it took over my pgn files, I have a default program for that, so I uninstalled chessking and all
    that I can find of it is the icons still in my folder where the chess games are stored, my default program still opens them
    but I do not want chesskings icon there, nothing I have done deletes them and restores the icon from my default program, how do I get them off my pgn files, I even deleted the entire folder, then reinstalled it from my flash drive copy that had no association with chess king and now my flashdrive has chessking icons

:)

2. farby Win User

SMSs refusing to delete?

Which phone do you have ? If you have option to delete the full conversation with the person to who these are sent.. do that and see if they are gone..

...else try connecting phone to PC and thru' the PC Suite try deleting..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

farby, Mar 11, 2016
  3. GazzIppy Win User
    SMSs refusing to delete?

Hi all,

I have four SMSs in my Sent folder that just refuse to be deleted. I have tried deleting them singularly, altogether by marking all, restarting the phone and then trying and removing the battery and trying again. All the other SMS in all my other folders
    deleted fine. It's just these four stubborn SMS.

Any ideas short of reformatting (which I only did a few weeks ago due to a **bleep** app install).?

GazzIppy, Mar 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

icons refusing to delete

Hello, this is very difficult to understand, largely because it's far too long for a single sentence, and at least one separate sentence occurs in the middle of it, I'm afraid.

Here is what I understand ( I think).

a. you installed Chessking
    b. it became the default program for opening png files (is that what you mean?)
    c. you uninstalled Chesskingd.some parts of Chessking remained in its installation folder - icons?
    e. you can't delete this folder successfully
    f. you can open the icons in that folder with your default program
    g. you have some other folder that you deleted and restored from a flash drive backup
    h. icons from the Chessking program have appeared on your flashdrive.

SInce I really can't be clear about what you're saying, could I suggest you edit the above to correctly represent your situation, and finish with a clear question you want answered.

how do I get them off my pgn files

is not at all clear, sorry.

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Wood Win User
    a. yes
    b. yes
    c. yes, even though I used revo uninstallers advanced section
    d. -----
    e. I find no trace of chessking anywhere, I have done search in c drive and done regedit
    f. I can open the files with the default pgn viewer yet the chessking icon remains instead of icon from default viewer
    g. I had copied entire folder of files to a flash drive that had default pgn viewer icons, now it also has chessking icons even
    though I deleted everything I could find, no search with anything mentions chessking at all or engine Houdini
    h. yes chessking icons are on flashdrive

there appears to be nothing of chessking on my computer other than that icon
    question, if I reinstall chessking and it asks to be default and I say no will icons go away
    question, if I do a system restore before installing chessking will they go away

6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, somewhat clearer.. and good to have tried using Revo and searching the registry (note: Regscanner -free - is much more useful for searching the registry as it does a complete search and lists all results for things like this).

The problems I presently understand you to have:
    a. You have a folder which is part of chessking you want to delete but hasn't been deleted
    b. I think you mean that when you view a list of png files in explorer, the icon shown for the png files is that of Chessking, not your default viewer.

First thing to try: if you have a restore point created prior to the installation of Chessking, that should be what you use and solve your problem.

question, if I reinstall chessking and it asks to be default and I say no will icons go away
    No, I don't think so 'cos it's unlikely anything will be overwritten.

Second thing to try: If you don't have such a restore point, you could try setting Revo to monitor Chessking's installation, and then use Revo to uninstall the monitored installation.
    I can't be sure that will correct everything, but worth a try.

question, if I do a system restore before installing chessking will they go away
    No, 'cos if you now set a restore point and reinstall Chessking, using the restore point set now will reinstate what you have now.

However if you have a restore point created BEFORE you installed Chessking, using that should eliminate Chessking from the registry (naturally). Using such a restore point should also remove the folder left as part of its installation.

Finally- as regards setting defaults, this must be done either from Settings or the Control Panel, not from within a program, or Open With making sure you check 'Always use this program'.

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  7. Wood Win User
    thanks for your help, I kept messing with it, cleared cache and rebooted several times, did my usual in such cases, I worried it to death, I don't really know which cleared it but it is gone, glad I did not have to do system restore

Wood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

icons refusing to delete

1. icons refusing to delete - Similar Threads - icons refusing delete

2. Windows Calendar refuses to delete gmail account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Calendar refuses to delete gmail account: My Windows 10 calendar is showing some strange sync behaviour with my Gmail calendar. So I am thinking of 1. first delete the Gmail account on the calendar2. restart the computer and the calendar3. add the Gmail account to the calendar.But I got stuck in step 1: Calendar...
  3. Windows Calendar refuses to delete gmail account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Calendar refuses to delete gmail account: My Windows 10 calendar is showing some strange sync behaviour with my Gmail calendar. So I am thinking of 1. first delete the Gmail account on the calendar2. restart the computer and the calendar3. add the Gmail account to the calendar.But I got stuck in step 1: Calendar...
  4. Windows Calendar refuses to delete gmail account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Documents folder on desktop will refuse to be deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder on desktop will refuse to be deleted: I'm on Windows 10 and I've came across this problem today. A documents file shown on my desktop won't delete, and when I try, more files are put onto the desktop. [ATTACH] The files/folders in red are the files that constantly keep coming back, and the folder in blue is the...
  6. windows 10 REFUSES to continue deleting something

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 REFUSES to continue deleting something: okay to make a long story short, i basically tried to delete something from settings and it went through the process a bit and it just randomly decided to stop...? after it just decided to bug out the cpu usage went up by like 50% which its usually always at like 4% normally...
  7. How do I delete a file that refuses to delete

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I delete a file that refuses to delete: I tried to delete this dumb game called March of empires war of lords and everytime I try it wants the administrators permission I am logged in o that account. submitted by /u/tf2andsot [link] [comments]...
  8. Delete Icon In Outlook

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Delete Icon In Outlook: Every time I go into Outlook the Delete Icon changes. One time it's a big X the next time its a big trash can. Which one should it be and does anyone know why it changes? I am using Office 365 and have latest update. 119278
  9. Taskbar icons refuse to group

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icons refuse to group: Win10 pro 10240 Classic Start Menu Until recently the pinned icons and active programs would combine so that there was only one icon per program. Now the pinned icons and active ones are separate -- and filling up space. I checked the taskbar settings and it is set to...
  10. Residue of contents Windows.old refuse to be deleted.

in Windows 10 Support
    Residue of contents Windows.old refuse to be deleted.: I am having problems in finally clearing out Windows.old. Most of it went, when I used the clean-up facility, but a system32 folder, 134KB, that contains folders, drivers and Driver Store remains. It appears my permissions need amending, but all I try is met with failure....