Windows 10: ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue.

Discus and support ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all! I have an issue: ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) will NOT work, no matter what I do. Allow me to describe my situation... I live... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr IceSlice, Jun 21, 2016.

1. ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue.

Hello all!

I have an issue: ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) will NOT work, no matter what I do.

Allow me to describe my situation...

I live in a rural area where there is no traditional internet available. To surpass this, I have a 4G/LTE Android device with an unlimited data plan. This is a Verizon device, and it is thoroughly locked, and un-rootable. I USB tether it to a PC for internet. I have a TRENDnet TEW-811DRU router, but no ISP modem. What I am currently capable of is tethering to my laptop, then ICS via Ethernet to my router's WAN port. However this ties down my laptop, not allowing it to be mobile.

I have a desktop, that I am attempting to do the very same thing with, yet FOR SOME REASON, I cannot get ICS via Ethernet to work. This is my issue on which I need assistance.

The root of the issue appears to be DHCP related, as the status page of the router shows all fields as: '0.0.0.0'.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!! (Preferably asap, but you have your own busy life.)

:)

Mr IceSlice, Jun 21, 2016
  2. ShivanshS Win User

Unable to install Windows 10 - fresh install

The usual process of fresh install of Windows 10 did not work for me even after connecting to internet via ethernet (LAN).

In the end, this is what I did:

Installed Windows 8.1 - 64 bit on my laptop.

Ran few Windows updates.

Ran Windows 10 upgrade program

Successfully upgraded to Windows 10 ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue. :)

Windows 10 is licensed as well because it was shipped with my Dell laptop at the time of purchase - so no issues there as well!

Thought to update all and close the thread.

ShivanshS, Jun 21, 2016
  3. IKEv2 no longer working even after multiple fresh installs.

Hello. This is a puzzling issue because at one time IKEv2 was working properly. I am not sure what went wrong. The connection is established but my IP location does not change. The same happens for all other protocols except for L2TP-IPsec which I currently
    use. I greatly appreciate any help, thank you!

Joyceinaglass, Jun 21, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue.

You would have to bridge the connection. Better yet is to get a Gateway that allows you to fall over to USB Cellular Using that router that you have can be used as an Access Point with no regular modem connected. Depending on what version that Gateway is. You may be able to use either OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

You really need to get a 4G/LTE modem vs using your handset as the Hot Spot. Most of the Hotspot pucks will allow up to 4 to maybe 8 connections.

There are also apps in the Google Play store that turns your phone into a hotspot.

bro67, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Sorry to say, but your suggestion isn't helpful at all.

I already tried custom firmware, and it didn't work.

I cannot get at modem, because they don't have unlimited data.

Yes there are apps that do that. But only for Android 4.4.4 AND LOWER. My phone is Android 6.0.1. On my old phone which was 4.4.4, I used an app called FoxFi, and it worked great. But the loophole or uses was removed in Android 5.x+.

And you have totally avoided my original question. I know my options better than you bro67.

Please, someone answer my question.

To sum up: would buying a USB Ethernet adapter to replace an older onboard adapter fix my ICS issue? In other words, could it be a hardware issue with the onboard Ethernet adapter?

If the next reply is something stupid, or a suggestion avoiding my question, then I'm just going buy one and close this thread.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Regards,

Mr IceSlice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue.

1. ICS via ethernet not working, even after fresh install. I got no clue. - Similar Threads - ICS via ethernet

2. BSODs, even after fresh windows install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs, even after fresh windows install: Folder containing dumps, dxdiags, etchttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iuCgQsfrdQbidEQro-iqvDDs2Fguls_R?usp=sharingCausesStarted when upgrading old system, components are:i9 14900k - CPUASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - MOBOKingston 32GB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY...
  3. BSODs, even after fresh windows install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSODs, even after fresh windows install: Folder containing dumps, dxdiags, etchttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iuCgQsfrdQbidEQro-iqvDDs2Fguls_R?usp=sharingCausesStarted when upgrading old system, components are:i9 14900k - CPUASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - MOBOKingston 32GB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY...
  4. Internet Connection Sharing ICS doesn't work in Windows after reboot only works via...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Connection Sharing ICS doesn't work in Windows after reboot only works via...: Came across this thread from 2017 referring to ICS not working in Windows 10 build 1607, and yet it is 2021 and I am still experiencing this issue on Windows 10 20H2. I am sure I am not the only one. That thread is locked so I am making a new thread. be advised I am not...
  5. Boot Loop Even After A Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot Loop Even After A Fresh Install: Hi Authority, I have been caught up with a bootloop issue since 21st Aug 2020 and haven't been able to solve it yet. I've reached out to the customer support, which was of no help as none of them could help me out rather than just saying "no worries we are there to help...
  6. Repeated BSODs, even after fresh install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repeated BSODs, even after fresh install.: Hi. I"m not new to the PC game by any means and I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of and even learned some new tricks. I got a new PCIe capture card Elgato 4K60 Pro for Christmas. I went to put it in. Everything worked fine for a couple hours, then multiple...
  7. USB to ethernet port not working even after driver installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB to ethernet port not working even after driver installation: Device USB\VID_0FE6&PID_9700\5&16aceb2e&0&3 requires further installation.\ Hi, I am getting this error when i'm using USB to ethernet port on my computer, and it is not getting connected....
  8. Constant BSOD even after fresh install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSOD even after fresh install: I built this PC in 2010. It's time to replace for sure, but that doesn't excuse the constant crashing. Asus Maximus III Extreme (LGA-1156) Intel Core i7-860 AMD Radeon HD 5850 8GB DDR3-1600 (I have 16GB total in 2 sticks but only one stick installed atm) Kingston 120GB SSD -...
  9. Window store won't work - even after fresh installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window store won't work - even after fresh installation: Hi, I am having a strange problem here: Installed Win10 a few weeks ago, everything was fine. A few days ago I wanted to try the store, so I tried to install apps (free). Everytime I clicked on installation, nothing happened. It just didn't work. So I did some...
  10. Can't share WiFi via Ethernet (ICS)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't share WiFi via Ethernet (ICS): We're having an issue in our office that has me stumped. We have 5 machines, all on Windows 10, and 5 IP phones. The IP phones need to be connected via ethernet, and since we don't have access to an ethernet connection in our building, we share the wifi from the computer to...