Windows 10: I'd like a clear understanding why.................

Discus and support I'd like a clear understanding why................. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Why the system will not accept a NTFS formatted 32GB USB drive for system image back up ? Why must I use an external hard drive ? I AM using a 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by davidhk, Feb 25, 2016.

1. davidhk Win User

I'd like a clear understanding why.................

Why the system will not accept a NTFS formatted 32GB USB drive for system image back up ?
    Why must I use an external hard drive ?

I AM using a 1TB ext. hdd for backups.
    I just want to know why not USB flash drive.

:)

davidhk, Feb 25, 2016
  2. d0gknees Win User

File Explorer icons

Question was quite clear.

"Is there a list that explains why I have multiple Documents icons in different places, and what the icons mean?"

I'd also like to know.

d0gknees, Feb 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Remote Issue

Yes. TeamViewer circumvents the issue, but I'd like to understand why simple Remote Desktop presents this issue in the first place.

AlexLederer, Feb 25, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Did you format it with gpt or mbr?

swarfega, Feb 25, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I'd like a clear understanding why................. [​IMG]

No, I just inserted the USB > right click at it > click Format > select NTFS

davidhk, Feb 25, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Possibly 3 reasons always assuming that the 32GB is large enough for the image to fit on.

1) image backup --is this trying to make a BOOTABLE backup on an MBR system -- then GPT drive won't be bootable.
    2) using the stupid internal imaging system of Windows it activates VSS - this means it needs a whole slew of extra storage while the OS drive is locked and data copied.
    3) External HDD has extra storage space for VSS.

IMO forget the windows imaging system --get yourself something like FREE Macrium and you won't have any of these issues.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 25, 2016
  7. b1rd Win User
    Did some looking around and found this, which was interesting:

Ref. HERE.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Well for one thing - looking at your C: drive, 581 GB - 533 GB (free) = 48 GB used. I would think it might be a little bit difficult to fit a 48 GB system image onto a 32 GB drive. Especially when the 32 GB rated flash drive only has 29.8 GB real space on it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Yes. I have read that before I posted here.
    I find that unreasonable and I have problem accepting that explanation.

davidhk, Feb 25, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    Possible to create; impossible to restore from, Windows just won't detect the Network drive, during Image Restore, even if mapped.

Edwin, Feb 25, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    I was not told I did not have enough disk space. Just a bad location or something like that.
    However, I once used a 16GB USB and it did tell me there were not enough disk space.
    48 GB are used in my C drive. There are other items besides system image that contribute to the 48 GB usage. Yes ? Such as , my pps, doc, pictures etc.

davidhk, Feb 25, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    I wrote images to USB sticks using free Macrium. I try to avoid the native Windows functions because they are always very restrictive.

13. davidhk Win User

Her is the screenshot when I tried using the USB for image backup....................

I'd like a clear understanding why................. [​IMG]

I'll go buy a 64 GB USB and try again.

davidhk, Feb 25, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    What are you trying to do? Are you trying to make a recovery drive:
    Create a recovery drive - Windows Help -

Or are you trying to make a system image?
    System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

A system image includes "an exact copy of a drive or partition which can be used to restore your PC to the state it was in at the time the image was made." You would need some serious compression to fit a system image with 48 GB used space onto 29.8 GB flash drive.

I don't think that will help with Windows 10 built in system imaging. It appear as if Windows 10 system imaging excludes USB flash drives. But it will work with Macrium Reflect Free. In fact, what I have done in the past is use a 64 GB flash drive to make a Macrium Reflect Free rescue USB. Then store the image right onto the same flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I know it does not work with the Windows imaging. Try free Macrium. That will do it.

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

Thema:

1. I'd like a clear understanding why................. - Similar Threads - I'd clear understanding

2. Monitor not working I'd like help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor not working I'd like help: I have two AMD Radeon GPUs but the second one wouldn't display anything on on my second monitor in the past, it also wouldn't show that it was being used on the AMD app but recently I found out I needed to activate it then it started displaying only on that second monitor and...
  3. Monitor not working I'd like help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor not working I'd like help: I have two AMD Radeon GPUs but the second one wouldn't display anything on on my second monitor in the past, it also wouldn't show that it was being used on the AMD app but recently I found out I needed to activate it then it started displaying only on that second monitor and...
  4. Monitor not working I'd like help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Old games I'd like to play again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old games I'd like to play again.: I have some old games Wizardry Archives, Red Alert, Dune, Old Warcraft, Caesar 2 that I would like to install and play again. The problem is I can not get my 64-bit Windows 10 OS to run the 32-bit games. I've looked for a fix, short cut, just something on the net and nothing...
  6. I'd like to request a refund for minecraft.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I'd like to request a refund for minecraft.: I purchased Minecraft Windows 10 starter collection about 10 days ago. My child didn't like it so I've been trying to get a refund since. Couldn't do it through my Microsoft account and have been trying to get hold of customer support but to no avail. Anyone knows how to...
  7. I'd like to know

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I'd like to know: Why Microsoft feels they have a right to lock my computer and not allow me access because I had to hard-power down a few times, after my system locked up? I paid for the computer, not Bill Gates. So unless Microsoft wants to reimburse me for the cost of my laptop $1800,...
  8. Is my understanding about 'remove everything' clear?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is my understanding about 'remove everything' clear?: So, it cleans the whole partition where the OS exists(EXCEPT the files that related to the remove everything function itself) and then the fresh copy of the OS is reinstalled? submitted by /u/NiceScents [link] [comments]...
  9. I'd like to disable onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'd like to disable onedrive: disable onedrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/id-like-to-disable-onedrive/e896484e-cf8a-4449-9cc2-290b963cdd2b
  10. Themes I'd Like to See in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Themes I'd Like to See in Windows 10: If I were to jump on to Windows 10, I'd like to find a theme that has smaller square caption buttons (ala XP or even a basic style similar to Vista). I'd like bluish title bars (and a means of maintaining that colour on background windows. Any themes or VS styles like...