Windows 10: IDE Hard Drive Slow PC Overall?

Discus and support IDE Hard Drive Slow PC Overall? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I had found an older 250 GB 7200RPM IDE HDD Just laying around. Since i had installed it i noticed extended boot/load times (Sitting At Black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hal0freak, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Hal0freak Win User

IDE Hard Drive Slow PC Overall?

Hello. I had found an older 250 GB 7200RPM IDE HDD Just laying around. Since i had installed it i noticed extended boot/load times (Sitting At Black Screen With Cursor For About Two Minutes Before Having The Ability To Sign In) and i also have to sometimes remove the power from the Hard Drive To Boot Entirely. I was wondering if this was a common error issue as IDE is getting quite old and maybe W10 doesn't support it too well. Or if it could just be my hard drive failing? Thanks For Your Insight. (Also I Have No SSD If That Changes Anything)

:)

Hal0freak, Jun 22, 2015

2. Hard drive from old computer not recognized by new HP Envy running Windows 10

This is a IDE drive. What adapter are you using to connect that IDE drive to your system? What is your SATA mode in the BIOS (IDE, AHCI, etc.)?

I'd check
    this article
    as it shows pretty well how to connect a IDE drive to a working PC (if the drive's health allows it).

Captain_WD, Jun 22, 2015
  3. I upgraded from XP to Windows 8 and now I can barely get the internet.

Make sure your hard drive isn't near full. This will slow your PC down.

DGfishingtime, Jun 22, 2015
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

The IDE discs are slower than the SATA discs. So as the disc processing speed is slow, teh computer will react slowly, as expected.

I noticed that your motherboard has one IDE connector, which is too uncommon nowadays. IDE ports are obsolete.

5. CountMike New Member
    If you are talking about time computer spends in BIOS, before it starts booting to windows,than yes. IDE (PATA) drives are much slower than SATA 2 and 3 and specially than SSDs. They take longer to initialize and for BIOS to recognize it's format. Later on, when OS starts loading, all the drives have also to be recognized by letter etc, so there goes another slowdown. Even during normal work Windows periodically check on all drives for maintenance etc. and specially when searching for a file. Best use for such drives is to connect them by USB occasionally and use them for backup.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IDE Hard Drive Slow PC Overall? - Similar Threads - IDE Hard Drive

2. New hard drive now my pc is slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New hard drive now my pc is slow: new hard drive clean installed windows and activated it and now my wifi is extremely slow and was previously very good. my wifi itself is very good and my ethernet cord is working perfectly fine and i have all drivers up to date...
  3. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  4. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  5. Well, I need help with an old hard drive IDE.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Well, I need help with an old hard drive IDE.: Hello Guys,How has been your day? Fine am sure. Thanks for being there for many people. Well, I need help with an old hard drive IDE that I have. The hard drive was formatted but I need the data in that hard drive. Besides, when I connect it to my laptop as an external with...
  6. Well, I need help with an old hard drive IDE.

Well, I need help with an old hard drive IDE.: Hello Guys,How has been your day? Fine am sure. Thanks for being there for many people. Well, I need help with an old hard drive IDE that I have. The hard drive was formatted but I need the data in that hard drive. Besides, when I connect it to my laptop as an external with...
  7. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  8. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  9. Using IDE hard drive in 2021?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using IDE hard drive in 2021?: I'm currently using 240 SSD + 320 HDD . So how wise is connecting an old IDE hard drive (160GB) to IDE port as a backup drive ? Does that affect SSD's boot-up time ? If it does , how bad ? Do you think it is worth it? It seems like it is the only way that I can make...
  10. IDE Hard Drives are Dead and I Need Help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE Hard Drives are Dead and I Need Help: I got a problem with 2 of my IDE hard drives. I think theyre dead. I use a USB to IDE cable to connect my computer to it. I remember I would disconnect one and reconnect the other and would switch between the two in search of a vital file. I would disconnect and reconnect on...