Windows 10: Identification of default browser in registry?

Discus and support Identification of default browser in registry? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Is there some place in the registry that identifies the default browser? I've already found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Bob Coleman, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Identification of default browser in registry?

Is there some place in the registry that identifies the default browser?

I've already found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet, but that continues to contain FIREFOX.EXE even after I change the default to Chrome.

:)

Bob Coleman, Oct 8, 2017

2. Browser identification

Nice talking with you too!

But I still cannot set the home page!

Any advice?

Best wishes,

Rob

Rob Nelson_834, Oct 8, 2017
  3. Browser identification

Many thanks Taffy,

the website gives lots of useful info, and is very helpful. Thanks for answering.

I use Firefox as my browser, but sometimes use Edge 41 on Windows 10, and am unable to set Google there as my home page.

Any advice?

Best wishes,

Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson_834, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Identification of default browser in registry?

Yes. The default browser is a 'per user' choice, you can look at the ProgId value in...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserChoice

...but don't try changing it. When you change your default browser in Settings Hash (the other value you'll find there) changes too. This is presumably for protection against malware trying to change this key.

Bree, Oct 8, 2017
  5. That will work. Thanks.

I don't want to change it. I just want to be able to programmatically determine what it is.

Bob Coleman, Oct 9, 2017
  6. It's by checking HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserChoice
    But that was already told, so that's fine. But actually, determining and manipulating the default browser in Windows 10 is possible without using the registry, with Edge, it can be done through the Start menu. At least it has some use.

Craig Fergusson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Identification of default browser in registry?

1. Identification of default browser in registry? - Similar Threads - Identification default browser

2. default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default browser: Was using edge but after seeing how you change the default browser settings, I'll never use it again.Going back to chrome. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-browser/4723a7df-2e34-4e4a-85cc-588ce3500c1b
  3. Default Registries

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default Registries: Please could someone tell me the default values for CoolSitchColumms, CoolSwitchRows and CursorBlinkRate in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop submitted by /u/void_the_gardevoir [link] [comments]...
  4. Default Browser . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Browser . . .: My computer, is a. Dell laptop running, Windows 10 pro . . . Boy, did I screw up . . . I have, many different browsers, on my computer . . . Google Chrome, Firefox, Ice Dragon. And not, Internet Explorer. Or, so I thought? Ice Dragon, was my default browser. But, it kept...
  5. Default Browser . . .

Default Browser . . .: I have a Dell laptop, running Windows 10 pro. I use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and, Comodo Ice Dragon, browsers. I use, Comodo Ice Dragon, as my default browser. My question is, is it possible To use, a different browser for different things? For...
  6. Default Browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Default Browser: I have a Windows computer and it won't let me choose the default browser as chrome!! I reset it to chrome so many times but Yahoo keeps showing up when I search up something in a new tab.......
  7. Default Browser

Default Browser: Hi Good evening I am trying to set up my new desktop and I have the following question. Which browser should be the default? I need to have java and flash installed. And I decide which one to use, do I delete the...
  8. setting chrome as default browser in registry

in Browsers and Email
    setting chrome as default browser in registry: I have nothing against Internet Explorer but at work I need to be using google chrome because of it extensions. thing is, my workplace has a group policy on all office computer so that every time a computer is restarted - Internet Explorer is set to be the default browser....
  9. Making IE the default browser via the registry or script

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE the default browser via the registry or script: Hi, Is there a way to automate changing the default browser from Edge to IE. We are still dependent on IE and can not deploy W10 with Edge as the default. Thanks for any help you can provide. 28822
  10. Default Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Default Browser: I have Internet Explorer set as my default browser. Each time I click on a link to website (often in an email) Windows asks which App to use to open the link. I highlight "Internet Explorer" and check the box "Always use this App" Sure enough the next time I click on a...