Windows 10: IE Icon cannot be removed from my desktop on Windows 10-Help!!!

Discus and support IE Icon cannot be removed from my desktop on Windows 10-Help!!! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello. This is my first thread on any forum, even though I have been deep into computing for nearly 17 years. I am putting this out to see if anyone... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by AgentGumby, Jul 28, 2016.

1. IE Icon cannot be removed from my desktop on Windows 10-Help!!!

Hello. This is my first thread on any forum, even though I have been deep into computing for nearly 17 years. I am putting this out to see if anyone else has seen it. I have a Windows 10 desktop. Although I use Edge and Chrome as my primary browsers, I use IE for some security camera access in several businesses I manage. I noticed a few days ago that an IE icon had appeared on my desktop. When I click it, it takes me to my homepage as normal. However, when I try to navigate to any other page, I get a prompt to install an application (which I believe to be malware related). I will note that when I use the IE I have pinned to my taskbar, I have no issues. Here is what I have done to attempt to remove the icon from my desktop, without success:
    1. Move it to the recycle bin.
    2. Right click to remove it. No option to remove it shows up. Only Open Home Page, start without add-ons, bottom, create shortcut, and rename.
    3. Removed it through programs and features/Turn windows features on and off. When I do this, the icon remains, but does not function.
    4. Looked through the desktop folder under each user account, including in a portable environment, not binded to an OS, where I am usually able to do things freely. The icon does not even show up as present when I look for it.
    5. Ran several malware scans, using MBAR, HijackThis, RogueKiller, AdwCleaner, Junkware Remover, and others. Nothing seems to indicate that it is there or is a problem.
    I hope I have provided enough information. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks!

:)

AgentGumby, Jul 28, 2016
  2. RubyDubyR Win User

Need IE desktop icons to open with Edge

When I first got windows 10 i didn't like Edge, and fixed my desktop icons to open with internet explorer. Now, certain aspects of the Flash addon do not work properly in IE and i am FORCED to use Edge. So....... the question is....... HOW DO I GET MY
    DESKTOP ICONS TO OPEN IN EDGE NOW????? I have tried removing the check mark for opening desktop items with IE in the internet option on the control panel, that didn't help. I've tried deleting the icon and reloading it using edge, when I clicked the new
    icon, it opened in IE. Any suggestions?

RubyDubyR, Jul 28, 2016
  3. missing desktop icons cant get them back windows 10

I think some sort of malware has removed my recycle bin icon from my desktop and I cant get it back. I am using windows 10 and cannot right click on the desktop to bring options up....can anyone help me with this

trisha

weegrannylee, Jul 28, 2016
  4. IE Icon cannot be removed from my desktop on Windows 10-Help!!!

I found the answer on the forum itself. It involves a registry script that adds IE to the desktop. The thread also has a script to remove it. Thanks!

AgentGumby, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

IE Icon cannot be removed from my desktop on Windows 10-Help!!!

1. IE Icon cannot be removed from my desktop on Windows 10-Help!!! - Similar Threads - Icon cannot removed

2. Remove folder icon from desktop Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove folder icon from desktop Win 10: Hi all,Somehow I have ended up with 3 icons on my desktop that point to folders in user/public/desktop. How do I remove the desktop icons without deleting the files, which I need? Regards,Steve...
  3. Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons: Desktop Icons are hard to read. I have tried at least 10 different suggestions on Google. All are different. None worked. Why would have such a wonderful program as Windows 11 and make the icon text blurred with a needless shadow?? Help on this, please?...
  4. Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons: Desktop Icons are hard to read. I have tried at least 10 different suggestions on Google. All are different. None worked. Why would have such a wonderful program as Windows 11 and make the icon text blurred with a needless shadow?? Help on this, please?...
  5. Help remove edge install IE

in Browsers and Email
    Help remove edge install IE: Hello i wish to remove edge and replace by IE but when i install windows 11 it just launches edge. is there any way to completly remove it and use only IE? thanks winver 1083 182438
  6. Help remove edge install IE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help remove edge install IE: Hello i wish to remove edge and replace by IE but when i install windows 11 it just launches edge. is there any way to completly remove it and use only IE? thanks winver 1083 182438
  7. Microphone/Desktop Icon Cannot Be Removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone/Desktop Icon Cannot Be Removed: The pictured icon suddenly appeared on my desktop and is positioned in the top right corner of my desktop. It obscures the close/resize controls of full screen apps. How can I remove or reposition it? [ATTACH]...
  8. .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop: From a web page I saved as a .pdf,now I have the icon on the desktop. But,I cannot remove it,open or rename this icon. I tried to move it to the recycle bin but nothing happens. I'm not an expert at all. Can,please,someone help me. Thank you 130314
  9. Internet Explorer Icon Cannot Be Removed From Desktop on Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer Icon Cannot Be Removed From Desktop on Windows 10: Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this. This is my first post here. My problem is that I have an Internet Explorer icon on my desktop that will just not go away. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have tried: 1. Moving it to the recycle bin. 2. Right clicking it...
  10. Internet Explorer Icon Cannot Be Removed From Desktop on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Explorer Icon Cannot Be Removed From Desktop on Windows 10: Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this. This is my first post here. My problem is that I have an Internet Explorer icon on my desktop that will just not go away. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have tried: 1. Moving it to the recycle bin. 2. Right clicking it...