Windows 10: IE11 starting url is old search virus artifact

Discus and support IE11 starting url is old search virus artifact in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I need a little latitude here for my issue. Thanks. While using Windows 7 and IE8 (reverted for specific reason), I picked up one of those nasty,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kgarvey, Aug 15, 2015.

1. kgarvey Win User

IE11 starting url is old search virus artifact

I need a little latitude here for my issue. Thanks.

While using Windows 7 and IE8 (reverted for specific reason), I picked up one of those nasty, malware search viruses that I was able to eliminate from my system, except for the starting url in IE. The url is this:

webssearches

I've never been able to get rid of this launch url and subsequently began using Firefox and avoided IE.

Now, I've upgraded to Window 10 and IE 11 and to my surprise the same launch url is there.

How do I get rid of this pesky url?

:)

kgarvey, Aug 15, 2015

2. Deleting browsing history

Hi,

I gave instructions for Edge.

You also have Internet Explorer installed, if you would rather use that familiar old browser.

You also have IE11 installed on Windows 10 and can use IE11 instead of Edge.

How to put an IE icon on the Desktop

IE11 in Windows 10- How do I put an IE icon on the Desktop

Other options:

Type Internet Explorer into the search box at the bottom of the screen. Find Internet Explorer in the list of results, right-click it to either Pin to taskbar or Pin to Start.

If you are using Edge and want to use IE11, click on the 3 dots at the upper right corner and select Open with Internet Explorer.

Don

Don Varnau, Aug 15, 2015
  3. James137 Win User
    Bing.com search error with Window 10

Bing search error Error Code: INET_E_SECURITY_PROBLEM with Edge and IE11 over last 6 months. Starts with: "Can’t reach this page". How do I reestablish search? OS is W10 Pro Build 16299.19.

Google search inoperable too. Its error is 404. Norton Safe Searching works with IE11. This Norton search engine doesn't work with Edge only IE11.

Thanks for any help.

James137, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Borg 386, Aug 16, 2015
  5. kgarvey Win User
    Thanks, both for moving this thread to the proper forum, and for pointing to the solution. I had done everything suggested in the cleanup except clean the shortcut in the taskbar. Once I did that, the problem was resolved.

Many thanks.

kgarvey, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Glad you got it sorted *Biggrin. AdwCleaner & Malwarebytes are both the "go to" programs in most instances concerning adware or PUP's.

Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IE11 starting url is old search virus artifact - Similar Threads - IE11 starting url

2. Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...: 1. When I search a .url internet shortcut file name inside a folder, it will not shown in the drop list below the search result field.2. When I search a docx txt and xlsx file name, they will be shown in the drop list below the search result field.3. Then I change the url...
  3. Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...: 1. When I search a .url internet shortcut file name inside a folder, it will not shown in the drop list below the search result field.2. When I search a docx txt and xlsx file name, they will be shown in the drop list below the search result field.3. Then I change the url...
  4. IE11 on Windows11 required, institutions old services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IE11 on Windows11 required, institutions old services: I'm having a complicated issue which might also affect other people/companies in different countries. In my country, Romania, one of the institutions for tax handling, has a deprecated IE working only system, on where you login via IE through a certificate you registered with...
  5. IE11 on Windows11 required, institutions old services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IE11 on Windows11 required, institutions old services: I'm having a complicated issue which might also affect other people/companies in different countries. In my country, Romania, one of the institutions for tax handling, has a deprecated IE working only system, on where you login via IE through a certificate you registered with...
  6. Syntax for a search URL

in Browsers and Email
    Syntax for a search URL: A long time ago, when I had Avant Browser, there was a system for pasting a URL in a browser's address bar, & putting something at the end that would go to a specific site & do a search there. It has something to do with %s or \%s, I can't recall. For example, if you wanted...
  7. Tooltip for "..." URL/search results?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tooltip for "..." URL/search results?: hello. as far as the URL itself goes, it is easy enough to see in the status bar at the bottom in your browser. however... i remember long ago that, if you would hover your cursor over the the actual search result, a tooltip would show letting you read the full title-thingy...
  8. RE : IE11, Google search provider

in Browsers and Email
    RE : IE11, Google search provider: Just installed Win 10 1809 build 17763.348 2 new rows appear in my default IE11 with Google Search as my default provider ……….. [img] Although it is no big deal, I would like to get rid of them. P.S. I do not have another browser installed, just IE11, nor do I have...
  9. IE11 Google Toolbar no auto search suggestions, no search history?

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Google Toolbar no auto search suggestions, no search history?: Since the last Win 10 update my Google Toolbar won't list any search suggestions as I type and there is no search history listed. The Google tool bar will allow a search, but after a few searches no search history shows and no "clear search" button is listed either. I have...
  10. Google search results on IE11 fault

in Browsers and Email
    Google search results on IE11 fault: After doing a search with Google on IE11, when I click on one of the lower links in the web page displayed, it jumps to the top of the page and can't open the link I want. I know of several other persons who are experiencing the same problem. Anybody suggest any work...