Windows 10: IE11 vs. Edge

Discus and support IE11 vs. Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Does anyone know of a good source that explains the difference between IE11 and Edge? Pretty much all I've gathered is that Edge isn't as compatible... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by YodaHulk, May 1, 2016.

1. YodaHulk Win User

IE11 vs. Edge

Does anyone know of a good source that explains the difference between IE11 and Edge? Pretty much all I've gathered is that Edge isn't as compatible with as many web-sites as IE11. Why the introduction of a new browser? Why isn't it more compatible?

:)

YodaHulk, May 1, 2016
  2. Jetta48 Win User

will internet explorer work on windos 10

Hi

Windows 10 for PCs will have both the new Microsoft Edge browser as well as IE11 Desktop.

For more info., please see:

Microsoft Edge FAQs

Jetta48, May 1, 2016
  3. pagelars Win User
    Unable to access IE11

New computer with Windows 10, unable to get IE 11 only Edge. Internet Explorer is enabled and shows in windows accessories but you click on it takes you to a page where Edge is the only option. I dislike the look of Edge for my Gmail acct. intensely and
    can find no way to change it to something that is acceptable. Had both Windows 10 and IE11 on previous computer with no problems. How do I get IE11?

* Moved from Edge

* Original title: Microsoft Edge vs IE11

pagelars, May 1, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

IE11 vs. Edge

Browser Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 10)

IE has become a failure and MS is trying to start over with a new browser, Edge. This is a ground up design of a new browser and it's looking good right now for a browser that's only about a year old. I've been using it for some time and it's been a good experience for me at least.

BunnyJ, May 1, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    Edge is not as compatible with old web sites that have put nasty hacks in their code to make IE work the way they want.

This web site, for instance, had numerous issues with Edge at first. I assume over time, these issue were fixed in the code as there doesn't seem to be as many problems. Edge may have also become slightly less buggy as well.

Edge also does not support ActiveX, but then neither does Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. So, in that respect, Edge is in the same boat as those browsers.

You shouldn't compare Edge to IE though, since IE is essentially a dead end. It won't be improved more. It should be compared to it's competitors, such as the afore mentioned Chrome, FF, Safari, etc.. In that respect, it's very similarly capable in most ways, with the one large exception of a lack of extension support in the official released version of Windows 10. The Windows Insider beta version does support extensions, but so far there are only a few such extensions officially supported.

Edge is faster, and other than a few esoteric and new HTML 5/CSS features is extremely standards compliant. The current Edge scores a 464 out of 555 on the HTML5 test, while IE only scores 343.

Chrome scores 521 and FF scores 468. It should be noted that many of the tests that Chrome passes but Edge and FF do not are either experimental, fairly new, or in some cases old apis not really supported anymore, or they're in areas that are not strictly required, such as OGG support.

Regardless, Edge is a very capable browser, unless you're using sites that only work with IE.

Mystere, May 1, 2016
  6. I have been using Edge on all the systems I look after and have had no trouble at all.
    Every site and forum I went into with IE11 I can access ok with Edge
    Have done so since Day1 when I upgraded to Windows 10
    Also it is still growing
    How many years has the IE Browser been going compared to Edge

hTconeM9user, May 3, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1 +1

davidhk, May 3, 2016
  8. dustymars Win User

IE11 vs. Edge

I do not like Edge because it looks too much like Chrome and I hate Chrome. Why does M$ have to do it to us? Why cannot they just leave us with something that works and now push off something their weed smoking idiots want to push? Maybe they watch TV as see billions of brain dead teens looking down at their Apple iPhones and dream they are the reincarnation of Bill Gates. IMHO M$ is making way for their downfall. When producers stop listening to customers the silent had rises up and grabs them by the balls.

dustymars, May 5, 2016
  9. dustymars Win User
    Guess I am just too old to change because I still use aself-coded HTML files menu in IE11 and now Chrome to navigate around the Net. Hum, seeing how I started working on anddesigning computers in 1960; maybe I am just set in my ways, huh millennialgeeks?

dustymars, May 5, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    How exactly does it look like chrome? I don't think it looks anything like chrome.

Mystere, May 5, 2016
  11. dustymars Win User
    If what you say is true then I say Edge starts out as a failure. It is worse than the first browser I had in my 1970's vintage Osborne!

dustymars, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

IE11 vs. Edge

1. IE11 vs. Edge - Similar Threads - IE11 Edge

2. IE11 (Edge) came pre-installed on my W10 and I can't either update it or get rid of it...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IE11 (Edge) came pre-installed on my W10 and I can't either update it or get rid of it...: I've tried most popular methods like disabling the feature itself, and also tried powershell commands and cmd but it gives me an "access denied" message because it's write protected. submitted by /u/Mohamad_Elbanna [link] [comments]...
  3. possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView

in Windows 10 Gaming
    possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView: I just happened to notice a few things that I believe might be of significance to Microsoft, including the following:IE11 so it seems is still used in Windows, namely, during the setup of new email accounts in the Mail and Calendar app AND in the Settings app. To replicate -...
  4. possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView: I just happened to notice a few things that I believe might be of significance to Microsoft, including the following:IE11 so it seems is still used in Windows, namely, during the setup of new email accounts in the Mail and Calendar app AND in the Settings app. To replicate -...
  5. possible security issue with IE11 and Edge WebView

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Ms edge - ie11 emulation???

in Browsers and Email
    Ms edge - ie11 emulation???: I have a software package, an installation .exe file, that needs IE to work. Is there any way for MS Edge to emulate IE since my version W10 Build 21390.2025 does not include IE and will not permit it to be installed. Any thoughts appreciated. 181784
  7. Printing PDF's from Edge differing from IE11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printing PDF's from Edge differing from IE11: When printing a certain PDF document through a vendor's website in IE11 by pressing the print button, the status bar shows "downloading files" and then the print dialogue box appears and allows you to choose a printer. This document has 5 different PDF files 15 pages in it....
  8. Keep Safe Search OFF in IE11 & Chromium Edge Permanently

in Browsers and Email
    Keep Safe Search OFF in IE11 & Chromium Edge Permanently: Windows 10 V. 20H2 Build 19043.804 I have never been able to find a way to keep "Safe Search" turned off in Bing on Internet Explorer 11 or Chromium Edge. I have it set to Off in Windows 10 settings but still have to set it to Off every time I want to use my computer. Surely...
  9. Attempting to view an Outlook.com email in my default browser MS Edge new ONLY opens IE11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attempting to view an Outlook.com email in my default browser MS Edge new ONLY opens IE11: I cannot view an Outlook.com email in my default browser, Edge, because it only opens IE11. I have used a laptops using 18363.628 for Public Release and Release Preview, towers using Insider 19559.1000 for fast and slow rings, all using versions of MS Office Professional...
  10. answers.microsoft not responding in windows 10 IE11 or edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    answers.microsoft not responding in windows 10 IE11 or edge: This pc has not been working correctly since all updates following incomplete update to v. 1909 on 1/13/2020. HP tech supposedly fixed all problems yesterday via remote control yet this morning I cannot get any response from Micros/Windows apps, programs etc. Will be amazed...