Windows 10: If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone?

Discus and support If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've only been a PC user since 14 or so months ago and I got my first virus activity. [img] It's weird that only a full scan picked it up. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by The Pool Man, Dec 20, 2016.

1. If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone?

I've only been a PC user since 14 or so months ago and I got my first virus activity.

If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone? [​IMG]

It's weird that only a full scan picked it up. I say weird because why would Windows say I'm always protected if it didn't protect me from these viruses?

Anyway I used WD to erase them. They haven't been back since -- and I now run DAILY full scans. Twice a day even.

Are they really gone?

:)

The Pool Man, Dec 20, 2016

2. I think i deleted i windows file...

So opening windows updates makes my computer run like crap.

is there a way to find the history of windows defender to see which file/virus i deleted so i can see what the problem was?

ebolaseverywhere, Dec 20, 2016
  3. CoraMT Win User
    unable to uninstall Avira Anti-virus

I have been working for hours trying to uninstall Avira completely from a Windows 10 laptop. (My daughter installed it.) I want to turn on Windows Defender and the system always says that Windows Defender real-time protection is turned off because another
    AV program is running. I've run Avira's regedit removal tool, I've searched all the directories and deleted all the "Avira" files. The Avira AntiVir removal tool is a joke because it doesn't remove it's only software (which I'm beginning to think of as malware
    because I can't get rid of it!). Also, it's slow as molasses in January.

I want to clean this system so I can really test Windows Defender. It would be REALLY NICE if the next Windows 10 update included an app to clean out the crap left behind by these sticky, malicious anti-virus systems.

I could really use some more clues as to how I can get Avira cleaned out sufficiently so that Windows Defender will turn on.

Thanks!

CoraMT, Dec 20, 2016
  4. torre Win User

If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone?

Please clarify:

All of the malware was identified by one scan on 12/17 ?

None were previously identified and automatically placed in quarantine ?

Is this list from the History tab on WD ?

Many scan with a free secondary scan like Malwarebytes, ESET, etc.as a check.

torre, Dec 20, 2016
  5. Yes. But I had had weird network activity for weeks. Basically if I had my laptop on (versus my Mac or phones) and started streaming video or music (Hulu or iTunes) the network would severely crash within minutes.

None were previously identified. I believe this was the quarantine section, yes.

6. marsmimar Win User
    Generally speaking, no anti-virus or anti-malware product will be 100% effective 100% of the time against 100% of the bad stuff out there. If there was such a product we'd all be using it. *Wink

Having said that I use Windows Defender and I've been satisfied with it. And on my Windows 7 machines I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials which is what WD is based on. To answer your question, "Are they really gone?", I'd have to say "probably". Many people feel that once a computer becomes infected the only sure way to cleanse it is to format the hard drive and reinstall everything. Or use a system image that was made when the computer was known to be malware free.

There are several free products that can be used for additional on demand scans. The more scans you run that come back "no malware found" the more likely your computer is OK. Some of the recommended products are: Malwarebytes Free, ESET Online Scanner, SUPERAntispyware, and Sophos Virus Removal Tool.

marsmimar, Dec 20, 2016
  7. torre Win User
    Just to be clear, you had not received any previous notifications of infection from WD ? And when you did the full scan, those were identified and placed in the quarantine section ?

FYI, normally when WD blocks malware, a notification will pop up and the malware will be automatically placed in quarantine. Recommend a full scan at least weekly and to check quarantine frequently. It seems unusual for that many viruses to be identified at one time. It is possible they were already in quarantine.

As stated, use an additional scan tool for extra security as listed by marsmimar.

torre, Dec 20, 2016
  8. If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone?

Thanks EVERYONE for all your help.

I've been doing daily FULL SCANS and even used some Windows Malware Removal tools. Whatever those were they're all gonzo.

But I'll keep you posted if they show up in 2017.

I installed a software called MIGHTY TEXT. It allows SMS text sharing with Android. I suspect this could have been a culprit.

9. Here's an update -- it's pushing two months and that virus stuff is still gone. So YAY me.

I have a theory to share for what it's worth. I bought a little teeny Chinese PC and had to reinstall Windows on it. Immediately after the reinstall the EXACT same group of virus stuff showed up on this PC as well. Methinks there's a moment of vulnerability during the reinstall process that 'something' exploits.

The Pool Man, Feb 11, 2017
  10. Their are rumors that some PC's from China come with infection installed at the factory. If I remember correctly the infection are installed in the hardware.
    Using Defender Off Line might be of some help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-protect-my-pc

Jack

Layback Bear, Feb 11, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    WD like most other AVs update their virus data base often, some times even few times a day so it's possible that some malware missed one day will be recognized later on. If one has multiple disks/partitions full scan can reveal malware not recognized before. There's also possibility of hidden malware with time or other trigger that could be missed by AV on earlier scans.
    Those reasons are good enough to do regular, periodical full scans and/or scans with other AVs/malware fighters.

CountMike, Feb 11, 2017
  12. Thanks all. The Chinese Mini PC is from a company called Voyo -- which could be a likely suspect. Unfortunately the other PC with same viral infection was from Asus.

The Pool Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone?

1. If Defender erases some virus crap -- is it really gone? - Similar Threads - Defender erases virus

2. Is The Virus Gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is The Virus Gone?: Hello everyone, yesterday I faced a problem, I downloaded an infected file, and as soon as I opened that file, Microsoft Defender detected a virus called trojan, and it couldn't deal with it so I searched for solutions and found a list of possible solutions, one of them was...
  3. Is The Virus Gone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is The Virus Gone?: Hello everyone, yesterday I faced a problem, I downloaded an infected file, and as soon as I opened that file, Microsoft Defender detected a virus called trojan, and it couldn't deal with it so I searched for solutions and found a list of possible solutions, one of them was...
  4. Is The Virus Gone?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Is this really a virus?

Is this really a virus?: I bought an ASUS laptop three days ago with Windows 11 Home S which I changed to Windows 11 Home.I installed only a few programs, which I can list: 7-zip, Adobe Acrobat DC, AnyDesk, Chrome, LibreOffice, Remote Utilities - Viewer.I only went online to download these programs...
  6. Windows Defender found a virus, but the affected file is gone

Windows Defender found a virus, but the affected file is gone: I recently ran a full scan and my antivirus found a virus called Obfuscator.XZ, and I wanted to put it in quarantine. The problem is that I could not, because I panicked and removed several files, one of them being the origin file of the malware., so I cannot remove it...
  7. Microsoft defender cant remove some virus

Microsoft defender cant remove some virus: microsoft defender can't remove Trojan:Win32/Vigorf.A , Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-cant-remove-some-virus/68a7b72c-1821-4751-8cc4-b7e8e8ee74d2
  8. Some virus deleted Windows Defender

Some virus deleted Windows Defender: Some virus deleted Windows Defender and i cant update my PC it says 0x80070424. And i go to services and it deleted system or what it is Windows Update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/some-virus-deleted-windows-defender/41dc4436-73a9-4548-8eb3-7635e914a038
  9. Crap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Crap: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/user_1312_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k5xmd2/crap/
  10. Is Virus Eraser a Scam

Is Virus Eraser a Scam: I paid Virus Eraser $399 10 months ago. Today I received a text message telling me my contract would be automatically renewed for 3 years for $2000. I called them back to tell them I do not want anything from them. They claim they will refund me the $399 but they need access...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defender erases download