Windows 10: If erasing Windows of existing machine and put to new one, what to do?

Discus and support If erasing Windows of existing machine and put to new one, what to do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have another Windows 7 installed on another Mac via bootcamp. If I am going to erase the Windows partition of this machine and install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by petercohen8877, Jan 26, 2016.

1. If erasing Windows of existing machine and put to new one, what to do?

Hello,

I have another Windows 7 installed on another Mac via bootcamp. If I am going to erase the Windows partition of this machine and install Windows 7 on another computer, do I need to contact MS to break the tie between Windows 7 and existing hardware before I can install Win7 on a new Mac with authentication?

What are the procedure? As far as I recall, in XP time, we needed to call MS when we changed machine.

:)

petercohen8877, Jan 26, 2016

2. New to Lumia. Screen display question

Could someone tell me what the displays at the top left corner of the phone mean. I get the celular network and wifi signals. Right next to the WiFi indicator, there is a square display that looks like a message. Does anyone know what it is meant to
    display?

New to Lumia, Jan 26, 2016
  3. If I use an existing email address to create a NEW hotmail address, can I THEN use this address as my Windows Live ID for the phone?

I guess I'm missing something here. Why don't you just add you @comcast address to the list of email accounts on the phone?

I created my live account just for my phone, it don't use it for email at all, just for Marketplace, SkyDrive, all those services that need the live account. For email I have an Exchange account (work) and a POP account (home) and a gmail account.

So what am I missing here?

Jan Roelof

JR de Pijper, Jan 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If erasing Windows of existing machine and put to new one, what to do?

One thread on this same subject wasn't good enough? See my reply to your original thread. You can't call Microsoft and have them remove the Windows 7 activation associated with the old computer. The safest thing to do is attempt to install and activate Windows 7 on the new computer (assuming a retail version of Windows 7). If it doesn't activate automatically over the internet, then you can call the activation line and tell the computerized voice that it is installed on one computer when it asks you. If you wait until you install Windows 10 and attempt to activate Windows 10 by entering the Windows 7 product key, and it is blocked from automatic internet activation, then you are stuck until you go back and install Windows 7 and use the phone activation.

NavyLCDR, Jan 26, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    If it is a retail W7 key, I believe you can run an administrative command prompt and type Code: slmgr /upk[/quote] to de-register/uninstall the product key, before wiping the partition. The W7 retail key should then be used with the W10 install, to activate.

You can also activate in an administrative command prompt by typing
    Code: slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx[/quote]

simrick, Jan 26, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    to de-register/uninstall the product key, before wiping the partition. The W7 retail key should then be used with the W10 install, to activate.

You can also activate in an administrative command prompt by typing
    Code: slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx[/quote] [/quote] Those commands only affect the local machine and do nothing to alter the information stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

If erasing Windows of existing machine and put to new one, what to do?

1. If erasing Windows of existing machine and put to new one, what to do? - Similar Threads - erasing existing machine

2. Authenticator erase new password with old one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Authenticator erase new password with old one: Hi Microsoft Community,I have an odd situation that I do not know how to resolve.I started using the password manager add-on for Chrome as well as the password generator to strengthen my security.Unfortunately I ended up having to remake multiple passwords because each time I...
  3. Authenticator erase new password with old one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Authenticator erase new password with old one: Hi Microsoft Community,I have an odd situation that I do not know how to resolve.I started using the password manager add-on for Chrome as well as the password generator to strengthen my security.Unfortunately I ended up having to remake multiple passwords because each time I...
  4. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.: Hello,I have always assumed that if I took a drive with the operating system and installed software from one machine and placed it in another, this would not work.Clearly the hardware would be different to start with.Setting up a PC can of course take many days to configure...
  5. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.: Hello,I have always assumed that if I took a drive with the operating system and installed software from one machine and placed it in another, this would not work.Clearly the hardware would be different to start with.Setting up a PC can of course take many days to configure...
  6. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Existing Desktop Replaced with new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing Desktop Replaced with new one: after a reboot, my laptop opened to a Desktop missing all my normal Icons about a dozen and now only contains a Recycle Bin. I have looked in the Recycle to see if a Desktop had been put there - no luck.I have gone to File Expl and found the executables for a couple of the...
  8. 2004 new machine where do I put startup shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Support
    2004 new machine where do I put startup shortcuts ?: New machine with 2004 Pro, I got the \Program Data to show. Where do I put startup shortcuts now ? always something ! Thanks - - - Updated - - - No way to use besides under \User 163913
  9. Using existing hard drive in new machine

Using existing hard drive in new machine: Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it....
  10. New Install - What to do about existing applications

New Install - What to do about existing applications: I'm planning on moving from Win 7 to Win 10 via a new install (although it seems I should upgrade first - I'll read about that). My questions have to do with my Win 7 applications... #1) Is there a list someplace of applications that need to be "de-registered" so they...