Windows 10: If I format my C drive for clean installation.......

Discus and support If I format my C drive for clean installation....... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to clean install my Desktop PC having Windows 10 Pro 10586 OS upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to OS 10240 and from 10240 to 10586. If I format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 16, 2015.

1. If I format my C drive for clean installation.......

I would like to clean install my Desktop PC having Windows 10 Pro 10586 OS upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to OS 10240 and from 10240 to 10586. If I format my C drive and use my bootable Recovery USB, will it be possible to install OS with it. Please note that this was created a few days ago with the OS version Windows 10 Pro 10586. I do not have as yet full setup file with me. Also I have not taken the full image backup of OS as yet.
    Please advise.
    Thanks in advance
    Ashok

:)

Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 16, 2015
  2. Om _Kumar Win User

Windows 10 complete format.

I was trying to format 'C' drive (completely) since 3 days. I had tried recovery option with full clean option but didn't work. Actually I want to format full hard disk including 'C' drive which contains system files/folders. Through recovery
    option only the other drives get formatted but not the 'C' drive and after formatting the 'C' drive i got a folders in ' C' drive
    'windows.old'. And don't want this folder to be there. My windows 10 is pre-installed.

Is there anybody who can help?

Om _Kumar, Nov 16, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Installing Windows 10 Pro from a USB version

Windows 10 needs to be installed on the System (CIf I format my C drive for clean installation....... :) drive.

When you start you need to do a custom install and pick the system drive and click on Format and wait a couple seconds for it to format the drive.

If you are doing a clean install you may want to pick the other drives and format them also. Then install on the (CIf I format my C drive for clean installation....... :) drive.

lacrumb, Nov 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If I format my C drive for clean installation.......

Probably not. You need to make a full Windows 10 installation USB with the Media Creation Tool:
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    The Recovery media - should give you the option to remove existing partition and format the drive....
    The Recovery media - should reinstall windows 10 10586 (assume that is the OS Build you created the recovery media from)

YOU SHOULD - create Windows 10 10586 Setup media - as per the advice and link above...

Either method should give you same results - as far as a clean install...

But it has been reported several times that the Recovery Media (Reset Feature) has failed..
    So having the actual setup media on hand - makes for a reliable fallback option...

The main difference between recovery media and setup media - is recovery media also includes any downloaded windows updates up until the point of media creation..

6. But when we create a recovery drive, we read somewhere during creation that we can reinstall full OS if required. Moreover the recovery drive's size is 3.67 GB which is almost similar to the Original setup file.
    What do you say?
    Ashok

7. But when we create a recovery drive, we read somewhere during creation that we can reinstall full OS if required. Moreover the recovery drive's size is 3.67 GB which is almost similar to the Original setup file.
    What do you say?
    Ashok

8. If I format my C drive for clean installation.......

I have a very slow connection of internet. Therefore never been able to create Full Setup Media through Media Creation Tool. MCT does not support "Resume" feature. I am at a loss. If i get the link to download the full setup file on a slow connection spanning 4 to 5 days. Such link will help me.
    Ashok

9. Kyhi Win User
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like it is good for a clean install then. It all depends on if the box is checked for "Back up system files to the recovery drive" or not. If that box is checked when you make the recovery drive, then you should be able to clean install from it. If that box is not checked, then the recovery drive is only good for booting into troubleshooting options. Since you have 3.67 GB on the recovery drive then you probably did have the box checked, and it is probably good for a clean install.

If I format my C drive for clean installation....... [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  11. Yes I had checked it while creating the bootable Recovery Media.

12. Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 16, 2015
  13. Kyhi Win User

The download is through your browser - Internet explorer downloads

14. That means one will have to download at one go or try thru Download Managers if supported by Microsoft site.
    Ashok

15. Ztruker Win User
    First: Back up, Back up, Back up, Back up ......

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If I format my C drive for clean installation....... - Similar Threads - format drive clean

2. my drive c: got formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my drive c: got formatted: please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-drive-c-got-formatted/6e23008b-6bd4-4170-9d3a-ee884c6df4ab
  3. my drive c: got formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my drive c: got formatted: please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-drive-c-got-formatted/6e23008b-6bd4-4170-9d3a-ee884c6df4ab
  4. Clean C drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean C drive: Hello all, I want to clean my C disk to factory windows 10, but if i choose remove everything > Only the drive where windows is installed C drive > Just remove my files; it needs 3.46Gb more to clean up, i'm afraid to choose the other option, because i think it could remove...
  5. I cloned my C: drive to my E: drive and i want to Format My C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cloned my C: drive to my E: drive and i want to Format My C: drive: [ATTACH] I have already prioritized my PC to boot from my E: drive which has a copy of my windows 10. I used Samsung's Data Migration tool since both my C: and E: are both from Samsung to avoid any hiccups or discrepancies. I'm worried that formatting my C: drive may mess...
  6. C: Drive Formatting.

C: Drive Formatting.: I have had Windows 10 for a while but now ive installed on another Drive called D drive on to my new SSD D: drive and it's been running fine on D drive for months and I want to format all of the c drive to use for new storage item whatever they me. Will that be ok to go...
  7. How to format my C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to format my C Drive: I'm having issue with my main drive the C drive and just backed it up and thought I would do a full format then run my backup. But after upgrading to windows 10 I haven't done a format and not having a physical disc I was wondering how to do it. I know I used to format during...
  8. How to format my C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to format my C Drive: I'm having issue with my main drive the C drive and just backed it up and thought I would do a full format then run my backup. But after upgrading to windows 10 I haven't done a format and not having a physical disc I was wondering how to do it. I know I used to format during...
  9. C Drive Formatted and no OS installed

C Drive Formatted and no OS installed: I have a problem. I accidentally formatted my C drive when I was going to install windows 10. So the condition now is I don't have any os installed. The worst thing is the C drive is formatted too. Please help. I want to install windows 10 using bootable disk but it says...
  10. Full format of my 'C' Drive

Full format of my 'C' Drive: I am just about to do a re-install of Windows 10 and am wondering if I can first do a very thorough clean-up of my 'C' drive first by doing a full format before carrying our the reinstall. I am just about to look for the USB stick with Windows 10 on it, I think that it...