Windows 10: If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool..

Discus and support If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool, will I have to do a clean install? So I'm having problems with installing Windows 10 using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Elishere, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Elishere Win User

If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool..

If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool, will I have to do a clean install?
    So I'm having problems with installing Windows 10 using Windows Updates, so I'm going to use the media installation tool with the option to install on this PC now. Will I have to do a clean install? Can't I keep my files?

:)

Elishere, Jul 29, 2015

2. If download Win 10 using the media creation tool will I need a product key?

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

If you have a qualifying version you will not need a product key, you Windows 7 product key should work fine. Please check the

article
    for more information. Check the note section on How to Perform a Clean installation of Windows 10.

Thank you.

Rohit Chettri, Jul 29, 2015
  3. If download Win 10 using the media creation tool will I need a product key?

I'm trying to download Windows 10 Home to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium PC from this link:

Download Windows 10

The only issue is once I'm done with running the setup will I be required to have a product key or will it still count as a free upgrade?

Windows10XboxOne, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

You have to do an upgrade, not a clean install to get the free Win 10.

I used the MediaCreationTool to create a ISO then I mounted the ISO from my booted Win 8.1 system and ran setup.exe from it. It did a upgrade install and so far all is well.

Waiting now for it to activate aas so far it keeps saying try again later.

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Elishere Win User
    So it won't delete all of my files?

Elishere, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Corelogik Win User
    I used the Media Creation tool to create a bootable DVD. THat said, during the install, you're given the choice of an upgrade or a clean install. It asks you if you want to keep all of your files and apps or not. Checking yes to keep them, performs an upgrade leaving your data and programs installed and intact, checking no, wipes the drive and does a clean install.

By the time you get to the point of the install where it asks that, you've already gone way past confirming you have a previous, qualifying, version of windows and therefore the free copy of Windows 10 is authorized and usable.

Corelogik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool.. - Similar Threads - install using media

2. installing windows 10 media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing windows 10 media creation tool: My son gave me an older Dell laptop. It is stripped down but has windows 7 professional on it. The laptop is stuck on Administrator then asks for password. He can't remember the password. I have tried everything to get out of it. I downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool,...
  3. installing windows 10 media creation tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installing windows 10 media creation tool: My son gave me an older Dell laptop. It is stripped down but has windows 7 professional on it. The laptop is stuck on Administrator then asks for password. He can't remember the password. I have tried everything to get out of it. I downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool,...
  4. Using the media creation tool to install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the media creation tool to install windows 11: If I use the media creation tool to install windows 11, will all my data be wiped? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-the-media-creation-tool-to-install-windows/31fc4d15-0c37-4f0a-b5f1-16f406485633
  5. Using the media creation tool to install windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using the media creation tool to install windows 11: If I use the media creation tool to install windows 11, will all my data be wiped? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-the-media-creation-tool-to-install-windows/31fc4d15-0c37-4f0a-b5f1-16f406485633
  6. Installing Windows 10 from installation media tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 from installation media tool: I am planning to install windows 10 from the tool in a completely new hard drive.Will it ask for any activation after installation and cut down any features for me or will it install the complete version of windowsnote that this is again a completely new hard drive.Thanks for...
  7. Blue Screen Using Windows 10 Installation Media Tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Using Windows 10 Installation Media Tool: Greetings, I am attempting to create a USB installation drive so I can reinstall a friend's machine. Yes...I know I can reset his machine. Please bear with me. Every time I run the media creation tool, the data downloads, and then my machine freezes and I get a Blue Screen....
  8. Windows not activated after installing windows on ssd using windows 10 installation media tool.

Windows not activated after installing windows on ssd using windows 10 installation media tool.: I created an windows installer on an USB stick with the windows media creation tool. Then I installed windows on my SSD. I skipped the steps which ask for a product key and selected the option 'I am reinstalling windows 10 on this pc. Now I have the error 'Windows reported...
  9. Install Windows10 using Media Creation Tools

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows10 using Media Creation Tools: Hi! My hard disk is damaged so i need to replace it. I need to reinstall Windows10 for my laptop. I have downloaded Windows10 Media Creation Tools and make installer in my flash disk. Can anyone tell me the instruction for install windows10 using media creation tools? I...
  10. Clean install issue of 'windows 10 pro edu' using installation media tool

Clean install issue of 'windows 10 pro edu' using installation media tool: I want to clean install windows 10 using creation tool but the problem is that 'pro edu' edition of windows 10 is not an option to select. I have digital licensed window. Would installing windows 10 edu only edition be digitally activated?...