Windows 10: If I pin emacs to the taskbar, I get duplicate.

Discus and support If I pin emacs to the taskbar, I get duplicate. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How to get rid of one and still have emacs pinned to the taskbar ? [img] 23436 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Marron, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

If I pin emacs to the taskbar, I get duplicate.

How to get rid of one and still have emacs pinned to the taskbar ?

If I pin emacs to the taskbar, I get duplicate. [​IMG]

:)

Marron, Sep 20, 2015

2. Unable to add searchable commands to start menu

When I press the Windows key to open up the Start menu, I can type "notepad" and press Enter, and Notepad will open up. However, this isn't very useful to me, because Notepad is terrible. I would like to be able to do the same thing with Emacs, which is
    not. So I downloaded Emacs, unzipped it into C:\Program Files\emacs, navigated to C:\Program Files\emacs\bin, right-clicked on runemacs.exe, and selected Pin to Start Menu. Now I have a big, ugly tile with a shortcut to runemacs in my start menu. That's okay,
    because I always ignore the tiles and just type my commands.

So I press the Windows key, type "runemacs" into the search box, press Enter, and...an Edge window opens up showing me a Bing search for "runemacs." That would have been great about five minutes ago when I wanted to download a copy of emacs, but that's not
    what I want now. Now I want to run emacs. Now, I could always click on the aforementioned big, ugly tile, but if I wanted to operate a computing device that way, I'd be using a tablet. I want to type "runemacs," or even better, just "emacs," and execute runemacs.exe.

I've also tried pinning it to the taskbar and copying shortcuts to c:\Users\MyUserName\Start Menu\Programs and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, with similarly disappointing results. Deeply, deeply disappointing.

Why isn't this working? Third-party applications that I've installed are showing up in the search. So why can't I add something to it myself?

Brandon Berg - MS, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Pin Folder to Taskbar

I'm not having any luck in pinning a folder to the taskbar. I have one folder pinned there but can't seem to duplicate it.

I select the folder in file explorer, right click and select "pin to start". Then, I should be able to go to start, right click the folder and select "pin to taskbar" but that isn't an option. I get unpin, resize and open as three choices.

I tried dragging the folder but that didn't work. The taskbar is unlocked if that matters. Was this removed as an option?

MichaelGerbasio, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Lomai Win User

Have you tried right-click and unpin this program from the taskbar?

Regards

Lomai, Sep 20, 2015
  5. joon Win User
    joon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. If I pin emacs to the taskbar, I get duplicate. - Similar Threads - pin emacs taskbar

2. Right clicking pinned Notepad on taskbar shows duplicate items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right clicking pinned Notepad on taskbar shows duplicate items: Have been looking for a way to fix this and coming up empty. I keep Notepad Not notepad++ pinned to my taskbar. When I Right click I get the context menu and I have pinned items that I used often. However, most of the items are duplicated. If I unpin an item both listings go...
  3. Right clicking pinned Notepad on taskbar shows duplicate items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right clicking pinned Notepad on taskbar shows duplicate items: Have been looking for a way to fix this and coming up empty. I keep Notepad Not notepad++ pinned to my taskbar. When I Right click I get the context menu and I have pinned items that I used often. However, most of the items are duplicated. If I unpin an item both listings go...
  4. Right clicking pinned Notepad on taskbar shows duplicate items

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Pinned Taskbar Duplicates - My Fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned Taskbar Duplicates - My Fix: Hey everyone,Wanted to share a quick fix to duplicate pinned apps in the taskbar.User Story: One day, I was playing some games. I have multiple monitors and had a game on one screen and some class work on another. I love to use Quizlet, so I used the "Install App" function on...
  6. Pinned Taskbar Duplicates - My Fix

Pinned Taskbar Duplicates - My Fix: Hey everyone,Wanted to share a quick fix to duplicate pinned apps in the taskbar.User Story: One day, I was playing some games. I have multiple monitors and had a game on one screen and some class work on another. I love to use Quizlet, so I used the "Install App" function on...
  7. how can I duplicate opened folders on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    how can I duplicate opened folders on taskbar?: after using chrome/firefox, especially firefox where I can rightclick on a tab and click duplicate, I can't see how window is efficient here lacking this feature. say I have folder A, B, C and D on taskbar (not combined). currently If I wish to have another explorer window...
  8. I can't pin items on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't pin items on taskbar: Hi guys. After the newest update all the items that I had pinned on my taskbar aren't there anymore. Also I can't create new desktop icons. I also did the shift+shutdown thing but that didn't work either. Any help is appreciated....
  9. Windows 10 Pro - Duplicate Pinned Taskbar Icons

Windows 10 Pro - Duplicate Pinned Taskbar Icons: I've searched the forums and I couldn't find any similar posts for this topic. I'm running Windows 10 Pro (1809) on a MSI GE-70 2PE Laptop. I've installed / uninstalled and maintained all my software on the laptop very seamleassly. However one software that I recently...
  10. "Duplicate" shortcuts on the taskbar get deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    "Duplicate" shortcuts on the taskbar get deleted: I have a weirdly specific but (to me) very annoying problem. I have two shortcuts to Chrome on my Taskbar, or at least I used to. The first is the default shortcut. The second opens up a specific page in Incognito mode using some command line stuff. I use it about 10 times...