Windows 10: If I plug in my D hard drive, I lose my network?!?!

Discus and support If I plug in my D hard drive, I lose my network?!?! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Folks, Here's the background: Computer has an Asus M5A88-M motherboard, with an AMD FX-8350 cpu. It had been running Win7/64. It has two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iamc3k, Apr 6, 2016.

1. iamc3k Win User

If I plug in my D hard drive, I lose my network?!?!

Folks,

Here's the background:

Computer has an Asus M5A88-M motherboard, with an AMD FX-8350 cpu. It had been running Win7/64. It has two harddrives, an SSD Samsung 850 evo (C drive) and a WD Black spinner (D drive). In Win7 I was unable to get the SSD into AHCI mode. (The mobo has Sata ports 1-4 as either IDE or AHCI or RAID, and ports 5-6 as IDE. I have Bluray ODD in port 6.)

I decided to upgrade to Win 10. Prior to the upgrade, I disconnected the D drive, which shouldn't have anything on it but games and some personal docs and pics. I performed the upgrade with just C connected.

All was good.

I successfully changed my C drive to AHCI mode. Rebooted several times. All was still good.

By "all is good", I mean EVERYTHING seemed good, and the internet/networking worked.

This morning, I decided to plug in the D drive back into SATA port 2. Upon booting, there was a yellow exclamation symbol over the network connection near the task tray and I had no network at all. I used a usb stick to upload the latest Win10 Network driver for the mobo's Realtek 8111E network interface. The yellow error symbol remained.

I tried various troubleshooting techniques (safe boot with network, limited services, etc.) and nothing changed.

The network switch shows connectivity and the port on the rear of the computer shows a solid green light and flashing yellow light. That indicates Gigabit speed connection and data input/output. This is with the yellow exclamation symbol and no network functionality

I did notice that the network symbol seems good at first during bootup. Then, as the Win10 bootup music fades, the yellow icon appears.

If I disconnect the D drive from Sata 2, I regain full network functionality.

(D has been on Sata 2 (in IDE not the current AHCI) for about 3 years with no issues.)

- Is there a SATA/NIC interference issue?
    - Is there some file on D which interferes with Win10's networking?
    - Is it a problem because D had been IDE and is now being accessed as AHCI (through BIOS setting)?

Thanks,

Ken

:)

iamc3k, Apr 6, 2016

2. The Recycle Bin on E:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?

I get this Message every time I plug in my external hard drive into my laptop, if I hit yes will I lose all the files on the hard drive?

TheGodFaller, Apr 6, 2016
  3. can I just plug my external hard drive from my windows 7 back up to my windows 10 laptop? Thank You

Please help. My Windows 7 laptop died and I have a external hard drive backup. Can I just plug it into this Windows 10 laptop or do I have to do something else. I'm lost with 10 and want my old settings. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Moved from:
    Windows
    /
    Windows 7
    /
    Windows update, recovery, & backup

CherylCarvalho-Case, Apr 6, 2016
  4. iamc3k Win User

Additional information:

- I've just powered down, disconnected the D drive, booted and again all is good...

- Powered down again and connected D drive to Sata port 5 (an IDE drive). Booted up...and all is good.

The problem seems to be using D drive (which is PURELY a data drive as far as I know) in the AHCI mode. Looking at Disk Management, the D drive seems to be an MBR style.

Note that the D drive is totally accessible when it is in the Sata 2 port (AHCI port). There is nothing wrong with accessing or using D drive. The only symptom is total network dysfunctionality. (Sata port 5 allows networking and D drive access.)

I'd like to use it in one of the AHCI sata ports (1-4).

Still stumped...

Ken

iamc3k, Apr 6, 2016
  5. iamc3k Win User
    Update...
    - plugged the D drive into Sata port 3 (AHCI port). Networking worked.
    - plugged the D drive into Sata port 2 (AHCI port, which originally seemed to be the cause of the issues). Networking worked.

WTH???

I guess it fixed itself. Marking this as solved. Do I gain points? *Wink

iamc3k, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. If I plug in my D hard drive, I lose my network?!?! - Similar Threads - plug hard drive

2. Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?: So, I'm trying to install Forza 5 as seen from the pictures above, but it's not allowing me to change to my secondary hard drive D:. I've tried using command prompt to check the disk and delete WindowsApps on said drive, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried deleting and...
  3. Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can I not install games on my D Hard Drive?: So, I'm trying to install Forza 5 as seen from the pictures above, but it's not allowing me to change to my secondary hard drive D:. I've tried using command prompt to check the disk and delete WindowsApps on said drive, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried deleting and...
  4. i lost my d drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i lost my d drive: my laptop come with a C: and D: but when i shutdown my pc my D: was missing pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-d-drive/b2aa63e0-8424-418c-980a-80a54c5d98bf
  5. I merged my D drive and my Desktop :

I merged my D drive and my Desktop :: I was downloading Steam VR and it kept trying to download in my C drive, so looked up how to fix it and some YouTube video told me to do some thing I can't remember but I did it wrong and instead of putting Steam VR in my D drive, it put my Desktop in my D drive and now they...
  6. Will I lose my product key if I wipe my hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will I lose my product key if I wipe my hard drives?: I am currently download Windows 10 media from the media creator onto my USB and I am planning to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. And I'm very sure once you boot into the Windows 10 Installer you get the option to format your hard drives. So, my question is: Will I lose my...
  7. Did I lose A External Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did I lose A External Hard Drive?: Okay so basically I just bought an external USB hardrive so I can have more space for my PS4/Desktop. I first used it a little on my PC [worked fine] Then used it on my PS4. It told me I had to Format it [which I did] But now I can’t use it on my PC anymore, the plugged in...
  8. if I change the hard drive I lose my windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    if I change the hard drive I lose my windows?: I bought a new hard drive for my computer with more capacity, my problem is, if I change the hard drive I lose my windows? Do I have to buy the windows again? Is there any way to use the same license that I have on the old hard drive?...
  9. change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?: I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter: In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z My...
  10. As Soon As I Plug In My Ethernet I Lose All Connection

As Soon As I Plug In My Ethernet I Lose All Connection: Hello This has just recently started to happen, and I've never had any problems with it before. However when I plug in my Ethernet cable, I lose all connections and I can't connect to the internet. I have no idea why its started to do this. I have tried to diagnose the...