Windows 10: If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...

Discus and support If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a normal mechanical hard drive that is failing - it gives failed on several diagnostic tests. It is in a 32 Bit Windows 10 Pro Dell D820... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JBMDenver, Jul 24, 2018.

1. JBMDenver Win User

If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...

I have a normal mechanical hard drive that is failing - it gives failed on several diagnostic tests. It is in a 32 Bit Windows 10 Pro Dell D820 laptop.

I also have a Dell D6410 which has a fully functioning mechanical 500 GB hard drive. I have done a back up and system image saved on an external hard drive for the D6410.

I just purchased a Seagate 500GB Solid State Harddrive that I would like to install in the D6410. Can I restore the system image directly onto the new drive and be up and running without doing a Windows 10 Pro install first?

Assuming I remove the old hard drive from the D 6410 and put it into the D820 - I am guessing I need to first install Windows 10 32 Bit on that used hard drive since the former system was a 64 bit WIndows Pro?

:)

JBMDenver, Jul 24, 2018
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the... :)

dhdude, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10, Occasional Error, No Hard Drive, after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi,

System corruption can cause issues detecting your computer's hard drive. For us to properly investigate on your concern, we'd like to confirm the following information:

• On which cases do you receive the startup error?
    • Aside from replacing the hard drive, have you made any significant changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • Have you tried plugging in the replaced hard drive to another computer to check if the same thing occurs?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your reply so we can move forward to resolving your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...

Formatting a dual boot system with windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can easily format a hard drive or a partition by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1. If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the... - Similar Threads - replace hard drive

2. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  3. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  4. How can I format a Hard Drive previously used as a boot drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I format a Hard Drive previously used as a boot drive?: Recently, I used System Image to restore my PC to a new and much faster M.2 SSD. It gave me quite the trouble, but that's beside the point. I want to use the old HDD as mass storage now, but both Diskpart and Disk Management will not allow me to edit the old drive. It is...
  5. How can I format a Hard Drive previously used as a boot drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I format a Hard Drive previously used as a boot drive?: Recently, I used System Image to restore my PC to a new and much faster M.2 SSD. It gave me quite the trouble, but that's beside the point. I want to use the old HDD as mass storage now, but both Diskpart and Disk Management will not allow me to edit the old drive. It is...
  6. How can I format a Hard Drive previously used as a boot drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over?: Hello, I am upgrading my primary drive from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB SSD. I want to simply replace my drive, copying over everything to the new one. I have looked into different methods like the one here, allowing me to create a system image, replace the ssd, and then restore from...
  8. can i format my hard drive and then restore windows from a system disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i format my hard drive and then restore windows from a system disk?: can i format my hard drive and then restore windows from a system disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-format-my-hard-drive-and-then-restore/5c013317-6664-4575-9c12-8a702d818895
  9. Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one...

Need to buy a bigger Hard Drive. Can I "copy" the entire system to it and use this old one...: I've been runing out of space for ages, I have 3 external Hard Drives, but now it's really time to get a new Main Hard Drive. I'm afraid to have to install everything again in the new one, including Windows, Visual Studio, SQL Server, all my dev/analyst tools, all my games...
  10. Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...

Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...: Please advise how I can replace the hard drive. I would back up the contents to a flash drive in the USB port, follow instructions in the manual to remove and replace the hard drive, reinstall,...