Windows 10: If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc?

Discus and support If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc? I would upgrade using a bootable USB Drive... If I do this process will all the photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WindowsLoooveer, Aug 6, 2017.

1. If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc?

If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc? I would upgrade using a bootable USB Drive... If I do this process will all the photos etc... I have right now go away or will they stay there?*Think*Redface

:)

WindowsLoooveer, Aug 6, 2017

2. would i loose everything on my laptop if i download windows 10?

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc), games and settings (ie. passwords, custom
    dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for
    Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc? [​IMG]

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 6, 2017
  3. TTEKAOS Win User
    would i loose everything on my laptop if i download windows 10?

When windows 10 installs will it create a windows.old? or will everything be as it was like with all the things i have on my desktop?

TTEKAOS, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc?

You need to backup files first as the best way is to reformat if you copy them to one drive give them time to backup then they will come back on there own on the new system

Samuria, Aug 6, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Or create a separate partition at the end of the drive for the data files you want to keep and during the clean install of 64-bit Windows only delete all the partitions in front of it and then pick the resulting unallocated space to install to.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Depending on your PC, going from 32 to 64 bit may (or may not) be an 'upgrade'. If you only have 2Gb RAM then I would stick with 32 bit, and in fact I'm currently using the 32 bit version (by choice) with 4Gb RAM even though the 32 bit version can not use it all.

Can't say in my case that I notice much if any difference in speed comparing 32 and 64 bit but a big bonus is the smaller footprint of the 32 bit, and also the correspondingly smaller and quicker backups.

Mooly, Aug 6, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    You cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, it has to be a clean install. That means you will loose all your installed apps and data.

Before you start back up all your data, photos and documents, and make sure you have the install media and keys for any apps you'll need to reinstall.

You won't need a key for Windows 10. If your 32-bit Windows is activated your PC already has a digital licence stored on Microsoft's activation servers. This is valid for both 32 and 64 bits, but you must install the same edition as you had before (Home or Pro). If asked for a key, click 'I don't have one', Windows will activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

Bree, Aug 6, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

You will loose everything on that particular partition.

If you have a data partition, do not delete it and your data will be fine.

Just delete or format your install partition.

If you are gonna use the entire drive to install windows x64 then you will loose everything on that drive.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If I upgrade from x32 to x64, Will I loose everything on my pc? - Similar Threads - upgrade x32 x64

2. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64: When I purchased an old desktop years ago, it had win7 pro x32. When I went thorough the update, I then got win10 x32. There's no reason that I know of that this machine couldn't be running the x64 version. And given it's old, I would prefer that so I can recognize more...
  3. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64: When I purchased an old desktop years ago, it had win7 pro x32. When I went thorough the update, I then got win10 x32. There's no reason that I know of that this machine couldn't be running the x64 version. And given it's old, I would prefer that so I can recognize more...
  4. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Apps are installing in x32 instead of x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps are installing in x32 instead of x64: i recently reset my computer and i tried to install all by apps and games back and for some reason they are all installing as x32 instead of x64 when my system type is 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Win7 Enterprise x32 to win10 x64

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Enterprise x32 to win10 x64: Hey guys. I was given a PC from a storage room. Got it starting and It runs windows 7 enterprise 32 bit. Since this OS is outdated, I want to install windows 10 x64 bit. The problem I'm having here is: windowsmediatool does not support Enterprise version. I want a clean...
  7. Conversion of x64 to x32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Conversion of x64 to x32: My system works slow on 64bit computer as the ram is 1.25GB so I want to convert it into 32bit.... Is there any option how I can convert x64 to x32 without using any CD or DVD Plzz help......
  8. Shortcuts confusion - x64/x32

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts confusion - x64/x32: I'd like to create a few shortcuts for a dock I'll be trying out on Windows 10 64-bit for: Notepad Task Manager On my old 32-bit Windows 7 PC, it was simple - just create a shortcut to the exe in the system32 folder. But with 64-bit, I have a system32 and a syswow64...
  9. Windows10 upgrade from x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 upgrade from x32 to x64: Dear *, I have a question regarding an upgrade from windows10 x32 to x64 So I have Acer One 10 with Windows 10 Home x32 installed (German), and the windows is activated with digital license and linked to my hotmail account. Now i downloaded the windows media creation...
  10. Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?: I've been wanting to switch to x64 to take advantage of the extra RAM I have. I figured an OS upgrade will be a good time to do that. So do I need to install Win8 x64 now to get the Win10 x64 download/upgrade? It would easier to just do a clean install of Win10 x64...