Windows 10: If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free?

Discus and support If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I upgrade my desktop computer now from 8.1 to 10, and in a year or so have to reformat my HDD, what will I have to do to reinstall 10? Will I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kenelder, Oct 4, 2015.

1. kenelder Win User

If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free?

If I upgrade my desktop computer now from 8.1 to 10, and in a year or so have to reformat my HDD, what will I have to do to reinstall 10? Will I have to install 8.1 and then pay to upgrade to 10? Will I be able to reformat and then reinstall 10 for free?

:)

kenelder, Oct 4, 2015

2. Can I reserve again later if I cancel now?

N need to reserve at all. Anyone with a qualifying OS (win 7 SP-1, Win 8.1) can update at any time for the first year and it will remain free for the life of the device

Reserving just gives MS an email address to spam you at.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 4, 2015
  3. paul565 Win User
    Can I reserve again later if I cancel now?

If I cancel my reservation does that permanently lock me out of the free upgrade? Or can I still choose to upgrade at a later date?

paul565, Oct 4, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Kenelder, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Yes, you will be able to clean install Windows 10 on the PC afterwards, and have it automatically activated. When you clean install, you would "Skip" entering the product key during Windows Setup.

When you upgrade to Windows 10 on your activated Windows 8.1 PC, the activation of Windows 10 on that PC is registered on Microsoft's activation servers as a digital entitlement. This digital entitlement is what activates Windows 10 on your PC.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Brink, Oct 4, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    I just upgraded to win 10 two months ago, and it activated, then yesterday I did a clean install, and then made a Macrium Image of that clean install.

I feel sure that I am able now to reformat and use my system for whatever I wish for many months, then later decide to use Win 10 again, and use my bootable dvd, to reload the image I made yesterday, and be online and OK on Win 10 again...

I believe this is correct, and would really appreciate any comments about above...

thanks

acmanten, Oct 4, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just make sure the clean install of Windows 10 was activated when you made the image. Should be OK to restore in the future on the same computer and be OK and retain activation.

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    I did re-check the activation... of system and it is fine. I captured that activation info as a screen-capture with my Snagit www.techsmith.com/Snagit program.
    all is good and thanks...

acmanten, Oct 4, 2015
  8. If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free?

The only issue I can see with images & 10 is that for example I've upgraded to 10 & made an image I call 'Final Install' I usually keep & hide that image even though I image regularly rather than a clean install I can use that image, though I've never had to it's there & is as good as installing from scratch, yet takes minutes & a couple of hours updating programs etc. & would save hours if for example a problem had gone unnoticed with Windows for many months, this has worked with every system before 10 - Obviously I would have newer Images too as I image regularly.

Though if I'm correct if a PC isn't connected to Windows Update on 10 for a year that PC becomes null & void as MS sees it - What I'm not sure about is if I were to restore an image for example that was 13 months old would that PC (install) be void or not? I'm thinking it will?

I've recently upgraded this PC with a new mainboard etc. so should now be good for a while, I'm wondering if the original install image would need connecting to WU allowing to update then re-imaging slightly under yearly as 'Final Install' though to a degree that negates the whole point of a final install image (possibly by a bad Windows Update for example) - My last install on 7 lasted 3 years or so with any problems being sorted by restoring an image of various times past with imaging saving hours of work on reinstalls on this & other PC's I maintain.

Reflections, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free? - Similar Threads - upgrade reformat update

2. Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10: Can I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-a-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/af7634b4-5345-4734-8dc1-7e60a682f974
  3. Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I get a free upgrade to windows 10: Can I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-a-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/af7634b4-5345-4734-8dc1-7e60a682f974
  4. If I decline to upgrade now, will I get a free upgrade later?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I decline to upgrade now, will I get a free upgrade later?: If I decline to upgrade now, will I get a free upgrade later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-decline-to-upgrade-now-will-i-get-a-free/36f9541d-14f2-40e5-86ed-1c09b3933dcf
  5. If I decline to upgrade now, will I get a free upgrade later?

If I decline to upgrade now, will I get a free upgrade later?: If I decline to upgrade now, will I get a free upgrade later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-decline-to-upgrade-now-will-i-get-a-free/36f9541d-14f2-40e5-86ed-1c09b3933dcf
  6. Can I upgrade to Windows 11 later if I clicked Stay on Windows 10 for now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade to Windows 11 later if I clicked Stay on Windows 10 for now: Today I have got the option to upgrade to Windows 11. But since it is my main machine and I have upcoming exams, I am a bit skeptical to upgrade right now. Under such circumstances, I am having a few queries regarding the option - Stay on Windows 10 for now.1. Can I upgrade...
  7. Can I upgrade to Windows 11 later if I clicked Stay on Windows 10 for now

Can I upgrade to Windows 11 later if I clicked Stay on Windows 10 for now: Today I have got the option to upgrade to Windows 11. But since it is my main machine and I have upcoming exams, I am a bit skeptical to upgrade right now. Under such circumstances, I am having a few queries regarding the option - Stay on Windows 10 for now.1. Can I upgrade...
  8. Can i upgrade for free for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i upgrade for free for Windows 11?: Is it free or will I need to pay for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-for-free-for-windows-11/b9109793-b09c-4753-ba53-e96e1e75b495
  9. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  10. July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?: Hello everyone, Sorry if this question is stupid. But if I upgrade today will it still be free? According to some websites the price goes up on the 30th, but microsoft itself seems to state very strongly that the price goes up on the 29th. If I update now will I have to...