Windows 10: If system restored BEFORE a Windows Update, then ... ?

Discus and support If system restored BEFORE a Windows Update, then ... ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi All A System Restore seems needed on my wife's computer (Lenovo 300-15ISK laptop). It's a new computer and we are both learners when it comes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ausgumbie, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ausgumbie Win User

If system restored BEFORE a Windows Update, then ... ?

Hi All

A System Restore seems needed on my wife's computer (Lenovo 300-15ISK laptop).

It's a new computer and we are both learners when it comes to Windows 10. Hence, I don't imagine System Protection is turned on yet (haven't looked yet), and so no System Restore Points may exist. Although, I'm hoping SRPs are created automatically with Windows Updates which brings me to my question:

What if a SRP exists - perhaps the only one or the only suitable one at any rate - and it is a Windows Update - perhaps a Critical Update? If a System Restore is successfully done (i.e., to before that SRP), does Win. 10's Windows Update download the "lost" update again or do you have to manually look for it and download it from Microsoft's website?

Ta

:)

ausgumbie, Jul 15, 2016

2. auto restore point

Hi Bryan,

System Restore automatically creates a restore point before the following events:

• Application installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation of the application.
    • AutoUpdate installation. AutoUpdate provides an easy way for users to download critical Windows updates. After the update is downloaded, the user can install the update on the system. If the user chooses to install the update, System Restore creates a restore
      point before the installation of the update begins.
    • System restore. For example, if a user accidentally chooses the wrong restore point, the user can undo the restore operation by choosing a restore point before the system restore took place. The user can then choose the correct restore point.

Hope the information helps.

Ronald San, Jul 15, 2016
  3. stur2009 Win User
    System Restore not creating automatic restore points before Windows updates

Hi Cefizelj

I believe this is now the new 'norm'! We have several devices with 'Home" & "Home Pro ', and all on devices, unlike Windows 7/8.1 PRO ...Windows does not automatically create a "Restore Point" prior to installing any updates. So we manually create restore
    points before the monthly 'updates' arrives.

stur2009, Jul 15, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

If it's restored to a point before an update was downloaded , the system will re-download them itself when it 'notices' you don't have them.

Wullail, Jul 15, 2016
  5. ausgumbie Win User
    Hi Wullail

Thanks for replying! I just re-edited my original post which I thought wasn't as clear as it could have been and your answer came as I was doing that. But you obviously understood what I meant.

Many thanks

ausgumbie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If system restored BEFORE a Windows Update, then ... ? - Similar Threads - system restored BEFORE

2. How to open an encrypted file that was made before system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open an encrypted file that was made before system restore: I encrypted my txt document and lost some important data. Is there any way that I can open the file after the computer that I had it on has been system restored? I have saved the file to an extended storage, so the file is safe, however it is encrypted now with data from my...
  3. Go Back In Time Using System Restore Before Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Go Back In Time Using System Restore Before Windows Update: The next update is 25th march right? And 25th march update requires early installation. Can i go back in time using system restore before new windows update comes or few days before windows update comes?...
  4. Go Back In Time Using System Restore Before Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Go Back In Time Using System Restore Before Windows Update: The next update is 25th march right? And 25th march update requires early installation. Can i go back in time using system restore before new windows update comes or few days before windows update comes?...
  5. Go Back In Time Using System Restore Before Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Does System create a restore point before uninstalling an app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does System create a restore point before uninstalling an app?: Does System create a restore point before uninstalling 3D Paint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-system-create-a-restore-point-before/443468f9-dcfe-431e-8497-166f4e9de2b1
  7. Windows update and system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update and system restore: As typical the latest Windows 10 update messed up the touch screen on my HP. When I go into System restore it only gives me todays updates, but no previous update / restore points. I've had W10 updates for the past several days and now the touch screen is not working...
  8. View system restore points before deleting

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View system restore points before deleting: Is there any way or software (GUI no cmd) to view system restore points name, time, details before deleting? 112292
  9. automatic restore points before update install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    automatic restore points before update install?: I am wondering if Windows 10 will automatically create restore points before installing forced updates. If not, will we be notified about these updates before hand so we can make restore points manually? In previous editions of Windows, we were often offered optional or...
  10. System Restore not making restore point before updates.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore not making restore point before updates.: So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore point. I had one last night...