Windows 10: If you clone a disk with no errors

Discus and support If you clone a disk with no errors in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; If you clone a disk with no errors. And you buy a better computer faster hard drive etc. Would that actually make the size of the new disk you cloned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Apr 28, 2017.

1. If you clone a disk with no errors

If you clone a disk with no errors. And you buy a better computer faster hard drive etc. Would that actually make the size of the new disk you cloned go at the same speed as your old one? Is cloning just for moving it onto Windows 11 for example.

:)

hollyoaks777, Apr 28, 2017
  2. chompy33 Win User

Windows 10 has a black screen with cursor (cursor with loading symbol) after cloning

How did you reslove it please? Im facing the exact same problem and i cant find anything helpful

Initially, I used Acronis to clone my disk using the program from Windows; Acronis was installed on the source disk. That is what resulted in the black screen error. To fix it, I made an Acronis Boot Disk, booted into the disk, and started the cloning process
    there.

chompy33, Apr 28, 2017
  3. I brought a new hard disk for clone, but "you do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission setting"

I got a Seagate barracuda hdd and connected it via a USB dock

I was not able to clone my old harddisk to this new one.

"you do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission setting".

I was able to partition using "Disk Management" But I want to clone my disk

Please please please help *I am the administrator account

If you clone a disk with no errors [​IMG]

TimothyTsui, Apr 28, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If you clone a disk with no errors

cloning has nothing to do with the speed it just does an exact copy of the drive. The speed is controlled by the version of SATA, disk speed and cache

Samuria, Apr 28, 2017
  5. What's it for?

6. Cloning a disk moves the data from one storage device to another bit by bit, mapped exactly as original.

It really does not impact the speed of the computer but it can impact the rate at which the data is read and we interpret that as computer speed.

If you clone your data, say from an SSD to a 5400 rpm HDD, and the data that was cloned is highly fragmented then the new computer will appear slower as it takes longer for the data to be read from the drive.

Of course the opposite is also true. If you clone data from an old 5400 to an SSD, data retrieval will be significant faster and we feel the computer is faster.

If you are thinking of buying a new computer, and plan to add this cloned drive to your storage pool it should not impact things like boot speed, browsing. Where you may notice a slow down is when you ask for the data.

The key with spinning drives and speed, see how fast it rotates, (5400 or 7200 for retail drives), how much cache does it have (computer sends data to drive memory, allowing computer to move on while the drive puts it away) and don't let them get to fragmented.

Others may have differing opinions.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 28, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is what for? Cloning? Cloning just transfers files from one drive to another. When you boot Windows in the new computer it will load the drivers for the new computer and adapt to it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2017
  8. If you clone a disk with no errors

Hi and thank you for the detailed information. I have never cloned a drive in my life . Always image file backup but I am going to do one now as it would save me having to install everything again correct? No not planning in buying one yet hard drive went on this one so I bought a Toshiba Hybrid SSD. And it is faster, but I haven't a clue how you make a hard drive that is part ssd. I think it will just be an HDD with faster speeds.

9. Oh I thought it installed your programmes to your new computer. If this one packs it in I'll just have to do it from scratch as per usual. I thought cloning might save me that hassle. Thanks mate

10. I think I may have gotten us off your topic as I read you were thinking of buying new computer.

Indeed if you clone your drive you should be able to plug it in and away you go. I believe Macrium has this capability. Test your cloned drive before declaring success.

As to your hybrid drive, I'm very sure it will handle the organization based on a usage algorithm. Data that is used a lot will be placed on the SSD portion. This will likely be dynamic, that is a file may live there for a period of time and then it will move to spinning storage as your usage of said file drops. I think it just shows as one drive to you. Of course I could be wrong so if a hybrid drive owner is following please correct me.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 28, 2017
  11. RolandJS Win User
    This analogy may work: if you take your well-used, well-maintained, GPS (a Garmin for example) device from your old car and place into your new car -- all the GPS settings, all the saved places, your maps, all the icons, buttons, etc., are now at your fingertips in the new car.

RolandJS, Apr 28, 2017
  12. Thanks again mate

13. cereberus Win User

Modern cloning software is much cleverer than just doing straight bitmap copies i.e. defragmentation gets sorted out as well.

cereberus, Apr 28, 2017
  14. Samuria Win User
    If you are planning to clone your disk to another drive then put it into another PC it may not work as the drivers will all be wrong and it may not activate as you need to buy a new version of Windows and try running two PC's with same licence it won't work and is illegal

Samuria, Apr 28, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    For moving say an OS to a different HDD / SSD especially if the TARGET device is bigger it makes sense to IMAGE the HDD rather than clone it -- for example if you were cloning a 320 GB HDD to a 1TB one you'd have approx. 700 GB of unallocated space. Imaging also does essentially "defragging" automatically so files are optimised decently --no long chains etc. With an SSD this doesn't matter a lot but it does on Spinners.

Imaging means you copy the partition(s) and you can resize them on the target disk. Note though it's more complicated than a simple clone as you will need to backup and restore the image to / from another device i.e not the device being "imaged" or the target device (unless to a different partition).

Provided you obey the rules most backup / restore software WILL restore to different hardware -- these days there's enough generic stuff in Windows that the new computer WILL boot - it can then usually get any special drivers from the Internet etc. - It's perfectly legal to move various flavours of Windows from one machine to another one -- see the EULA for the specific allowable conditions. You can't though legally use the same copy of Windows in more than one machine unless you have a VL type licence.

If it's a valid machine move and the Windows version is of a type that CAN be moved (e.g Retail) and it fails on activation Ms will almost certainly activate by phone -- it's a fairly simple automatic painless process these days -- no more long waiting at call centres -- you will get some type of Robot (a real one - not a Human Robot call centre worker !!) which will ask a question or two and then you will be asked to enter some numbers -- then All done !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 3, 2017
Thema:

1. If you clone a disk with no errors - Similar Threads - clone disk errors

2. Disk Cloning Nightmare

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cloning Nightmare: I just got a new 1TB SSD so I can replace my absolutely terrible 1TB HDD. Completely starting over on a fresh install of Windows is kind of my last resort, so I’ve been trying to clone everything over. However, because my HDD is 3-4 years old and has done more than enough of...
  3. Disk cloning and backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning and backup: I have a Windows 10 PC with a 250 gb SSD. I also have an external 250 SSD. Is there software that will allow me to clone the internal drive to the external for disaster recovery and then have all future disk writes go to both drives so that they are always identical?...
  4. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning: I have an SSD128gb drive that is almost full and ordered 1tb SDD. I also have a 2nd HDD 1tb drive in the pc and although I haven't used Disk Cloning I am attempting to clone the 128gb SSD onto the HDDin pc and when I receive the new 1tb SDD I am thinking to clone from the...
  5. Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  6. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk cloning: How to transfer information from Computer 1 to Computer 2? My understanding how to do this is outlined as follows but I am not entirely sure this process would work. Existing Computer 1: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; have USB flash drive 1 with Windows 10 installation media...
  7. Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and Linux Disks cloning: Hi folks just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need o use rthe stand alone program). Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows...
  8. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  9. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  10. Cloned Disk will not boot !!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned Disk will not boot !!: Hi everyone I have been given two brand new SATA 2TB disks. One I have used in a hard disk dock - and have used this for additional data back up etc. Works OK The other I decided to use to replace my noisy C Drive. I cloned the disk to the new one, only to find that the...