Windows 10: If you return a PC to a store-FACTORY RESET IT!!!

Discus and support If you return a PC to a store-FACTORY RESET IT!!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; An informative article I found at ars technical: How Best Buy’s computer-wiping error turned me into an amateur blackhat I always get a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Cliff S, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

If you return a PC to a store-FACTORY RESET IT!!!

An informative article I found at ars technical:

How Best Buy’s computer-wiping error turned me into an amateur blackhat

Reset Windows 10

:)

Cliff S, Jun 12, 2015

2. What happens if it is necessary to do a Factory Reset

hope we will get the free upgrade even after factory reset. But I have created an ISO of Windows 10. So that I can be safe even after free upgrade was over

Akarsh.Gurikar, Jun 12, 2015
  3. What happens if it is necessary to do a Factory Reset

You can download and save/copy and install all of Windows Updates, 7, 7.1 8, 8.1, including SP1 packages.

Go to..

Microsoft Update Catalog

Also you can enter in update numbers, like KB3068708

MyPublicIdentity8, Jun 12, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Your welcome. Note on Eight forums, ARC1020 made a very good point, the this specially goes for phones.:

Cliff S, Jun 12, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    An interesting article.

One other thought I had though - in the article the suggestion is that the original buyer took the machine back to the store, presumably to get it repaired, and handed over their password.

Although I now know a couple of things about Windows from reading Eight Forums and Ten Forums, I know little about hardware, and in any case if something failed while under warranty I'd probably take it back to the store before having a go myself.

So if you took a computer back in to the store under warranty, and the store said they needed the computer's password to fix it, and the only login/password on the computer is for your Microsoft Account (which gives access to lots of information on the cloud), what would you do...?

For me, it just reinforces something I do which I've mentioned before, which is to setup a local account with Admin rights, while the computer is working.

I think the lesson is more than just resetting the computer (which in any case might not be possible if the computer had already failed in some way - suppose a power supply connector had failed for instance).

DavidY, Jun 12, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    They have absolutely no need to get into your account to repair a PC. To help with setting up you should remain there after logging yourself. Leaving you PC with ANYONE is like leaving money in your hotel room, sometimes you get lucky, and they're honest. Your personal information is $$$$ these days

Cliff S, Jun 12, 2015
  7. LittleJay Win User
    This article makes me glad that I have learned how to repair my computers.

LittleJay, Jun 12, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Same here.. plus I have a great local shop if I need to go that route.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    It feels a lot better if you build your own PC. You don't have to bring your PC anywhere else. *Smile

badrobot, Jun 13, 2015
  10. LittleJay Win User
    I actually enjoy building, or updating the hardware in my own PCs. Hardware I understand, but software...ah....not so much! *Biggrin

LittleJay, Jun 13, 2015
  11. Winuser Win User
    I haven't built my own computer since they stopped having computer shows locally. I still get the emails but I'm not going to drive to to Maryland to go to one. It was nice when they use to have the shows at the University of Delaware. I just checked my email and there's a computer show this weekend in Laurel MD.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. If you return a PC to a store-FACTORY RESET IT!!! - Similar Threads - return store FACTORY

2. PC factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC factory reset: I'm trying to factory reset my device for some time now. sfc scan won't finish because of windows resource protection. Running in safe mode won't work as well. I can't open my apps as well as the store....
  3. PC factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC factory reset: I'm trying to factory reset my device for some time now. sfc scan won't finish because of windows resource protection. Running in safe mode won't work as well. I can't open my apps as well as the store....
  4. PC factory reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC factory reset: I've been trying to factory reset my PC for a while now. I tried to run sfc scan which stop at 9% due to windows resource protection. Running it on safe mode won't work as well. I can't open my apps as well as the microsof store. What to do?...
  6. PC factory reset

PC factory reset: I've been trying to factory reset my PC for a while now. I tried to run sfc scan which stop at 9% due to windows resource protection. Running it on safe mode won't work as well. I can't open my apps as well as the microsof store. What to do?...
  7. Factory Reset PC

Factory Reset PC: I have been trying to factory reset my pc for the longest time now. I have run the sfc scan which stops at 9% due to Windows Resource Protection. I have run the sfc scan in safe mode with no difference. I have also run it from the advanced start-up to which it reaches 100%...
  8. Factory Reset PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Factory Reset PC: I have been trying to factory reset my pc for the longest time now. I have run the sfc scan which stops at 9% due to Windows Resource Protection. I have run the sfc scan in safe mode with no difference. I have also run it from the advanced start-up to which it reaches 100%...
  9. Factory Reset PC

in Cortana
    Factory Reset PC: I'm trying to factory reset one of my PCs, but settings isn't opening. Then I pulled up a tutorial to fix my issue, but I needed to use the search box. but the search box isn't working either. I know how to reset it, I just need help with my issues....
  10. Old screensaver returned after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old screensaver returned after factory reset.: After my pc had slowed down considerably I decided it was time to reset. I chose the “Remove Everything” option and everything went smoothly, and when it booted up I was met with a blank canvas. However today I restarted my laptop and after logging in I was met by my old...