Windows 10: If you think Upgrading from W7 to W10 is BAD !!!!!

Discus and support If you think Upgrading from W7 to W10 is BAD !!!!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there If you think upgrading from W7 to W10 is bad - just be thankful you don't have to do a CLEAN install of W7 on a system that's never had W7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

If you think Upgrading from W7 to W10 is BAD !!!!!

Hi there

If you think upgrading from W7 to W10 is bad - just be thankful you don't have to do a CLEAN install of W7 on a system that's never had W7 on it before, apply updates and then get the free upgrade to W10. Especially if you are on reasonably modern hardware.

I decided that I needed my desktop for W10 RTM -- so I had a W7 Ultimate old TechNet system with SP1 ISO unused plus its key.

I thought I'd install that and then upgrade.

What a mess -- apart from having to run a LAN cable from router (the wireless usb receiver wouldn't work on W7 initially) it needed 199 updates (nearly 1GB) plus around nearly 1 hrs of install time before the W7 system was able to receive a prompt for the free upgrade !!!. The W10 upgrade went vey smoothly from that point though.

DON'T DO THIS unless you really have to. If you've got a W7 system already OK but going back to W7 on a modern system that's never had W7 installed is a REAL PAIN --however you do eventually get a FREE update so it saves 199 USD -- just be prepared to wait a LONG time to complete W7 install / update and update to W10.

I did the same thing on another machine using an unused W8,1 licence -- took around 25 mins !!!

Both machines now running RTM and activated --finally !!!.

Lucky it was Sunday !!!.

(BTW the desktop was running a WORK Enterprise W8.1 system so I couldn't use that to convert to private use with W10 PRO RTM. That's why I had to install W7 to get the free upgrade).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Tony 6969 Win User

DVD drive for windows 10 disappeared

I have a HP pavilion g6-2111 Notebook PC. I upgraded from W7 premium to W10 and I must say it was the worst mistake I could've made. Tried going back to W7 but half of it was missing from the upgrade. Anyway here is my problem, I was supposed a free DVD
    app with the upgrade because I had W7 premium. Its not there so when i found this out I went to the app store and they now want 14.95 for it. How do I get the free one I was supposed to get? W10 is so bad I don't want or should have to pay for it. I think
    it is criminal that Microsoft offers a free upgraded operating system but fails to mention that it takes some drivers that were there out and now you have to buy them. Free upgrade my A**!

Tony 6969, Aug 1, 2015
  3. EggPap Win User
    Mouse moves slowly and desktop refreshes every 30 sec.

Having many problems with W10, I have recovered to W7pro, but W7 has crashed in some days: when W7 displays the authentication page, mouse and keyboard are dead also in safe mode. I have happily recovered W7 from a recent system backup. So I think that
    the W10 upgrade is not for all the PCs.

Many thanks,

Emiliano

EggPap, Aug 1, 2015
  4. strollin Win User

My daughter gave me an old Acer Aspire One netbook (1.6Ghz N270 Atom processor, 1.5GB RAM) that she didn't want anymore. It had Win 7 Pro on it but I don't think she had EVER applied any updates. I wanted to try running the Win 10 upgrade on it but first had to install hundreds of updates, including SP1. I never did get the prompt for the upgrade so used the MS supplied MediaCreationTool to do the upgrade. Other then it taking 2.5 hours to complete, it was painless and the netbook is now happily running Win 10 Pro without any issues.

strollin, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. If you think Upgrading from W7 to W10 is BAD !!!!! - Similar Threads - Upgrading W10 BAD

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. I'm thinking of moving from W7 to W10 pretty soon

in Windows 10 Support
    I'm thinking of moving from W7 to W10 pretty soon: Hello ... At the moment, I'm running W7 Professional on a 32bit machine (10 years old) but I'm thinking of buying a new faster 64bit computer with a 250gig SSD and 16gig of RAM. This will be a custom-build machine and I have the option of installing my W7Pro 64bit or a new...
  9. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...