Windows 10: If you turn off Real-Time Protection how long before "it turns back on

Discus and support If you turn off Real-Time Protection how long before "it turns back on in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In the Windows Defender Security Center you can turn off Real-Time Protection, but you are told that you can do so only for a short period before it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Al Airone, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Al Airone Win User

If you turn off Real-Time Protection how long before "it turns back on

In the Windows Defender Security Center you can turn off Real-Time Protection, but you are told that you can do so only for a short period before it turns back on automatically. How long is that short period? I turned it off and after 50 minutes it was still off. I then powered off the machine, rebooted, and Real-Time Protection was still off. I can't find the length of the "short period" documented anywhere. Anyone else have any experience with this?

:)

Al Airone, Oct 27, 2017

2. Prevent windows defender from scanning during games

You could use either Option 5 or Option 6 in this guide:

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10

Those options will let you disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection without being prompted it is turned off, and without it getting automatically turned back on later by Windows.

Meaning you can disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection as long as you wish, and then easily re-enable it when you're finished with your games.

Jsssssssss, Oct 27, 2017
  3. Windows Defender Real-time protection

You could use either Option 5 or Option 6 in this guide:

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10

Those options will let you disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection without being prompted it is turned off, and without it getting automatically turned back on later by Windows.

Meaning you can disable Windows Defender Real-time Protection as long as you wish, and then easily re-enable it when you're finished with your software tests.

Jsssssssss, Oct 27, 2017
  4. If you turn off Real-Time Protection how long before "it turns back on

No, and I would not want to place my PC at risk to find out.

Josey Wales, Oct 27, 2017
  5. I have no idea how long before real-time protection is turn back on. I have batch script that will turn off Windows Defender if anyone need this script i have attached to this post.

FreeBooter, Oct 27, 2017
  6. Al Airone Win User
    The laptop I tested this on was behind a firewall on our router, and I was working on local files and one or two Microsoft sites, not browsing anywhere hazardous, so I don't think I was really in any danger.

Al Airone, Oct 27, 2017
  7. as long as you are scanning EVERYTHING you download before installing or opening it yes you can disable real time protection. i have both bitdefender total security and malwarebytes and both have all protection set to manual, and i've never had a issue as long as i do what i said above.

xXWhackerXx, Oct 27, 2017
  8. LMiller7 Win User

There was a time when I too believed that passive virus scans were good enough and that real time protection was just for people too careless or too lazy to scan all downloads. And there was a time when that was true. But that time is long past. Modern malware authors are very professional, well funded, and highly motivated. Malware authors know all about file scanners and have developed a wide variety of ways to evade them. To combat this malware scanners developed ever more sophisticated scanning methods, while malware authors developed ever more sophisticated methods of evading them. Most security experts believe that malware is winning.

There are many viruses that can not be detected by any known file scanning method and can only be detected on a running system, by real time scanning. Even that is no guarantee but it does give you another layer of protection. God security always consists of multiple layers of protection even when one layer has no known vulnerabilities. One may be developed tomorrow.

Nothing is certain with computer security. Malware has been found on highly trusted websites and even in commercial software. The popular product "CCleaner", used and recommended by many members of this forum, was recently infected and effected several million downloads. An infected computer may show no symptoms of any kind. I believe most symptoms are unintentional but due to bugs in the malware or interactions with other software or malware.

As for how long before real time scanning is turned back on: I don't think you will ever see any official documentation regarding this. Microsoft doesn't want anyone to rely on this. Being undocumented the time period is subject to change at any time without notice. It may not even be consistent in any one OS installation. Introducing a random factor would be trivially simple for the developer. You may see this mentioned in some blog but the information may be obsolete even before it was published.

LMiller7, Oct 27, 2017
  9. LMiller7 i stand by what i said. not going to debate it.

xXWhackerXx, Oct 28, 2017
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Do not EVER turn real-time protection OFF. As for the OP question: As soon as you restart the protection will be back ON.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 29, 2017
  11. Can we please get an answer to the question:
    What is the duration of a short time?
    ... as it pertains to Windows Defenders "Real-time protection" message?

Jacob Klein, Dec 22, 2017
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    All we can really know is that real time protection will turn itself back on after a short but unspecified time period. This time period has not been documented and I don't believe it ever will be, and I don't think it should be. We have no way of knowing if this time period is a fixed or a random value, or one dependent on some other factor. And the details could change at the next update. It will be enabled after a restart.

Real time protection will disable itself if a third party AV product is detected. For reasons which should be obvious the details of how this works are undocumented. Details of when and how real time protection is enabled and disabled are of considerable interest to malware authors. It is best to keep them guessing.

To a computer user this doesn't really matter. Just keep real time protection enabled and it isn't an issue.

LMiller7, Dec 22, 2017
  13. If you turn off Real-Time Protection how long before "it turns back on

Okay, I'm simple so I have a simple question.

Why would one, anyone want to turn off Real Time Protection?

I personally scan everything I download with 3 security programs.
    I try to never under estimate the bad guys.
    I also don't know how long it would take before Defender turns it's self back on.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 22, 2017
  14. Helmut Win User
    It won't be anything as simple as a set time. You can imagine certain User actions, Windows actions, Application actions etc, etc triggering it back on again.
    Details of such things are useful to the bad boys.

Helmut, Dec 22, 2017
  15. bo elam Win User
    If you turn Windows defender off via Settings, WD will turn itself back to on when you reboot the computer.

If you just wanted to know, that's the answer.

If you want to really turn off WD and keep it off for good, read the tutorial below. I used Option 2.
    Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

Bo

bo elam, Dec 22, 2017
Thema:

1. If you turn off Real-Time Protection how long before "it turns back on - Similar Threads - turn off Real

2. My real time Protection not turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My real time Protection not turning off: I try to off the setting from 2 days. it's not working. can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-real-time-protection-not-turning-off/cac0998f-f3ab-4f69-8a61-a9730b39a465
  3. Cannot turn off real time protection

Cannot turn off real time protection: I wanted to turn off real time protection so i can run a script, but when i disable it turns back on instantly. I tried removing it with local group policy but apparently i dont have it installed so i tried multiple other ways but nothing seems to work. All the other settings...
  4. Can't turn off real-time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't turn off real-time protection: I can't turn off the real-time protection or other options in Virus $ threat protection settings. I tried to use gpedit but didn't work either. I realized that I can't use some other functions like protection history still see the list of actions, but can't interact or...
  5. Can't turn off real-time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't turn off real-time protection: I can't turn off the real-time protection or other options in Virus $ threat protection settings. I tried to use gpedit but didn't work either. I realized that I can't use some other functions like protection history still see the list of actions, but can't interact or...
  6. Can't turn off real-time protection

7. Can't turn off real-time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Real time protection unable to be turned off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Real time protection unable to be turned off.: I'm trying to turn off the real time portection, when i flick the on switch to the off position, it automaticly goes back to the on switch.There are also ''this setting is managed by your administrator.'' on the other 3 security buttons....
  9. Real time protection unable to be turned off.

Real time protection unable to be turned off.: I'm trying to turn off the real time portection, when i flick the on switch to the off position, it automaticly goes back to the on switch.There are also ''this setting is managed by your administrator.'' on the other 3 security buttons....
  10. Permanently turning off Real-Time Protection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permanently turning off Real-Time Protection: I'm tired of how much it's taking for my CPU. it's slowing down my computer sometimes at the worst time. Make it BETTER TO NOT DRAIN MY CPU, or tell me how to turn it off or set it to some special setting that's helluva lot easier to manage. I can't even permanently turn it...