Windows 10: iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off

Discus and support iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Acer Aspire 5742G with an i5-480M and a GT 540M and the Intel display driver fails whenever the computer turns the display off after 10min... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wall, Dec 3, 2016.

1. wall Win User

iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off

I have an Acer Aspire 5742G with an i5-480M and a GT 540M and the Intel display driver fails whenever the computer turns the display off after 10min afk no matter what power plan I'm on, it hapenned just now with Sleep Off in the power plan settings, it's just set to turn off the display after 10min. It's weird because I can turn off the display manually via the power button (set on the power plan) and it's fine. What's annoying is I have to restart the computer everytime it happens because it turns off my display's backlight. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

:)

wall, Dec 3, 2016

2. BSOD - UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP, CACHE_MANAGER, etc.

So, I used DDU to uninstall the current GPU drivers, I also read that it uninstalls the Mobo chipset and the iGPU, so I downloaded the latest drivers just in case. I installed the drivers in this order: 1. Chipset, 2. iGPU, and lastly 3. GPU. It'll be hard
    to tell if the issue is fixed unless I do some sort of stress test, however, yesterday I crashed about 4-5 times and since I've reinstalled the drivers and have used my computer for 3 hours, no crashes. I'll try and remember to post an update in a few days
    or so (longest I've gone without a crash is only a few days). Thanks for all the help! At first glance, the issue seems to be resolved.

Edit: It's worth noting that I downloaded the December driver (due to the supposed January driver issues) however, upon trying to install that driver, there was a compatibility issue. I tried manually installing the drivers from the Device Manager and even
    turned off my anti-virus but no luck, so I resorted to installing the latest driver (late January or February). Thought that was worth noting.

KyleDavis1, Dec 3, 2016
  3. Games are so choppy and ridiculously slow after Windows 10 upgrade

This is what I did when I had this problem.

I download display driver for intel, and then installed the driver, and when it asked for restart the computer, I chose later. My game is finally fine, I can run most of my games the way they were. But of course, I have to do it every time I reboot my computer,
    just installed the display driver, and don't restart after installing the driver. Or, just don't turn off the computer, and it will be just fine. Well, there's another problem that Windows will turn off automatically (crashed), so I run a video to make it
    turn on all the time. iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off :D

ElmoKenthOS, Dec 3, 2016
  4. wall Win User

Actually, both GPUs fail.

iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off [​IMG]

wall, Dec 3, 2016
  5. wall Win User
    And since yesterday GPU-Z does not show more than 64MB of memory being used while gaming, although games are running fine, could be I updated the drivers to 376.09.

wall, Dec 4, 2016
  6. wall Win User
    I was running a modified bios on my laptop, flashed the same unmodified version and the code 43 is gone, the computer can now sleep.

wall, Dec 4, 2016
  7. wall Win User
    It has nothing to do with the bios, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
    I found that after the error occurs if I disable to nvidia gpu first, enable it back, disable the intel gpu and enable it back fixes the issue without having to reboot, downside is I have to poke a flashlight onto the screen to see anything.
    If I disable the intel gpu first the backlight turns back on, correct resolution, but only a black screen with the mouse cursor.
    I'm fairly sure the Intel driver is to blame.
    And the gpu-z incorrect readings are related to the nvidia drivers, it was actually displaying the iGPU memory usage when it should be displaying the gGPU memory usage.

8. Helmut Win User

You need to install the Intel HD Graphics driver first, and then the Nvidia driver. Windows Updates does it right automatically.

Helmut, Dec 27, 2016
  9. wall Win User
    You're telling me that I need to uninstall both drivers and then install the intel first?

wall, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off - Similar Threads - iGPU driver crashes

2. Crashing after display has turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing after display has turned off: Hi! Over the last couple days I've had an issue where I'll leave my computer alone and if I come back after my display shutoff timeout it completely crashes. I couldn't find anything in Event Log so I ran Driver Verifier. This caused the system to crash at startup with System...
  3. Crashing after display has turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crashing after display has turned off: Hi! Over the last couple days I've had an issue where I'll leave my computer alone and if I come back after my display shutoff timeout it completely crashes. I couldn't find anything in Event Log so I ran Driver Verifier. This caused the system to crash at startup with System...
  4. GPU turning off randomly, PC on iGPU running fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU turning off randomly, PC on iGPU running fine.: Specs at the bottomEdit: My PC is about 40 days old, this problem has been occurring for the past 30.My GPU turns off randomly while gaming or simply browsingmostly while gaming, while the rest of the PC keeps on running. The monitor shows 'No signal'. The power button also...
  5. GPU turning off randomly, PC on iGPU running fine.

GPU turning off randomly, PC on iGPU running fine.: Specs at the bottomEdit: My PC is about 40 days old, this problem has been occurring for the past 30.My GPU turns off randomly while gaming or simply browsingmostly while gaming, while the rest of the PC keeps on running. The monitor shows 'No signal'. The power button also...
  6. Computer will randomly turn off and when it does it crashes on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer will randomly turn off and when it does it crashes on boot: So last week my pc just randomly turned off and then wouldn't fully boot and this has been a problem for a while. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-will-randomly-turn-off-and-when-it-does/b4f24315-6c55-4eee-accb-744594bed853
  7. Computer will randomly turn off and when it does it crashes on boot

Computer will randomly turn off and when it does it crashes on boot: So last week my pc just randomly turned off and then wouldn't fully boot and this has been a problem for a while. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-will-randomly-turn-off-and-when-it-does/b4f24315-6c55-4eee-accb-744594bed853
  8. BSOD when turning computer off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when turning computer off: Whenever i click "shut down" on my computer, it restarts and creates a minidump file. Here is the file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ssv5TbnazH33sZ69wbnsIOhFxo7TPHwc/view?usp=sharingAny idea on whats causing this? This is the second day in a row it has happened, i have...
  9. Fan running when display turns off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fan running when display turns off: This specifically happens when I leave my laptop open and it locks itself automatically. The display is off but some resource usage is very high because the fans start spinning at very high speeds. If I open task manager to check what it is, things just go back to normal and...
  10. turn off display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    turn off display: Hi, I have a screen and a tv plugged in my GC. When the TV is off, I would like the corresponding display to be turned off si my mouse don't get lost on a second screen that is not turned on. Normally I would go in the display setting page and turn it off from the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. whenever install drivers it bluescreen and defaultes to turn off display