Windows 10: I'm confused about "Administrator"

Discus and support I'm confused about "Administrator" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I got my new laptop with Win 10, I took my Local account as an Administrator. I thought it gave me full rights to do everything. However, every... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kashka D, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Kashka D Win User

I'm confused about "Administrator"

When I got my new laptop with Win 10, I took my Local account as an Administrator. I thought it gave me full rights to do everything. However, every so often, a pop-up tells me i need to be an Administrator. And I must bypass it by pressing Enter, or something like that. ( I just checked and I'm still set up as Admin).

This morning, I had a problem where Outlook disabled an Add-In. I don't take those. So, I googled and learned that iTunes puts it there. It really slows things down. The writer also gave instructions on how to remove it. And warned that need to be Administrator. But it rejected me. He advised can click on RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. I did that, and was able to remove the Add-in.

Puzzled by this, I looked at MS for explanation of Administrator, but I can't understand it. Then I googled some more and found site that says not to stay on as an Administrator. Use only when really must, as it's a Security concern. Good thing I have Norton.

I need help in how to create a STANDARD account for myself:

1) Do I go to Settings and add a "family" member, or a non-family?

2) May I use the same name as for the Admin account?

3) May I select which one to use at StartUp?

4) So I'll have 2 accounts. Or, is it even necessary to retain the Admin account?

5) Back to my first paragraph, why doesn't Windows usually not honor my Administrator role?

6) I've never had any Security problem, having Norton. Is this overblown and I shouldn't even bother to create a second account?

thank you

Kashka

:)

Kashka D, Jul 11, 2018
  2. raywood Win User

Built-In Administrator Account Confusion

So I guess it's a bug: I'm not actually running the built-in administrator account, but Windows acts as if I were. And when I make the changes you suggest, I think I'm enabling User Account Control, but I see now that the slider in Control Panel > User Accounts is still set to Never Notify. Even more confusing! But you've resolved the problem, and I appreciate that.

raywood, Jul 11, 2018
  3. ddelo Win User
    Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    • Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    • Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    • In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    • Select the the XML tab.
    • Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    • Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    • Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    • In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    • To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code: Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force[/quote]
    • In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    • When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. I'm confused about "Administrator" :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Jul 11, 2018
  4. I'm confused about "Administrator"

Pentium M

Not sure what I'm looking at. Though when I do go to Options and then CPU it lists my CPU
    as Intel Pentium M processor 1.73 GHz, and then under that it lists speed: 799.9 MHz
    and then features and cache size.I ran the benchmark test and don't understand all
    those numbers, but while testing I checked CPUZ and it still says it is running at 800 MHz.

boise49ers, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

I'm confused about "Administrator"

1. I'm confused about "Administrator" - Similar Threads - I'm confused Administrator

2. I'm confused

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm confused: Updates are available. We'll download them when you are not using a metered connection, or you can download 775.37 MB using your current data connection charges might apply. You might still need to connect to unmetered Wi-Fi for some updates. The phrase charges might apply...
  3. I'm confused

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm confused: Updates are available. We'll download them when you are not using a metered connection, or you can download 775.37 MB using your current data connection charges might apply. You might still need to connect to unmetered Wi-Fi for some updates. The phrase charges might apply...
  4. I'm confused

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I'm a little confused about the display port connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm a little confused about the display port connection.: LS27BG402ENXG0 Odessey Monitor - My Graphic Card 3070 supports up to four displays via one 2.1 HDMI and three DisplayPort 1.4a ports ----My new monitor cables are 1 x DisplayPort 1.2, --- 2 x HDMI 2.0. The HDMI cable works fine, and I understand that HDMI port only supports...
  6. I'm, confused?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm, confused?: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10.This computer, is fine. I have another, Dell computer.And it has, problems. You know when you, download a file.Then you click on, save.You go to the download folder, and run it.My other, Dell computer. Does not have a download...
  7. I'm, confused?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm, confused?: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10.This computer, is fine. I have another, Dell computer.And it has, problems. You know when you, download a file.Then you click on, save.You go to the download folder, and run it.My other, Dell computer. Does not have a download...
  8. I'm, confused?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. I'm confused about windows license here

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I'm confused about windows license here: I have a question, is it legal to use non-activated windows? because I found different answers about this in a Microsoft thread like this I'm sorry if my English is bad, coz I'm not English...
  10. I'm confused about this, please help, and I'm not sure what's wrong

in Windows 10 Support
    I'm confused about this, please help, and I'm not sure what's wrong: [img] My window is maximized, but it won't fill up the entire screen, and I can't put anything at the top of the screen either. I don't know what's wrong, but please help. I don't think that it's showing up in the screen shot, but please help. 84097