Windows 10: I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take?

Discus and support I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It's 372.2 GB and it's been at 0% for some minutes now. 35470 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Digitalstardust, Dec 28, 2015.

1. I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take?

It's 372.2 GB and it's been at 0% for some minutes now.

:)

Digitalstardust, Dec 28, 2015

2. How Long to Full Format a 6TB Drive?

3.6Tb in 48 hours is way below the specs of any port on that computer. I suspect a problem. Which of these is the Hd connected to?

We need more info

I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take? [​IMG]

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 28, 2015
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    How Long to Full Format a 6TB Drive?

My question is why do a full format on new HD, you could do a scan if you are looking for defects as for the time as 24 was what it took a friend of mine to do a full format on his system, it will vary depending on what your system is.

JoeNamco, Dec 28, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take?

Are you doing a quick or full format?? A quick one should only take a few minutes at most. What you could do is go into disk manager and just delete it and format it from there. That would be much faster,

BunnyJ, Dec 28, 2015
  5. As said a quick format(you are only Formatting/deleting the directory ) should take a few mins.
    a full wipe/format can take ages as you are formatting every sector

shakennstirred, Dec 28, 2015
  6. Whatphoeb Win User
    A full format will take several hours. A quick format will take a few seconds. A full format verifies every track on the disk, so it takes about as long as writing 372.2GB of data to the disk. A quick format just writes the control records.

Whatphoeb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take?

1. I'm formatting a drive, how long will it take? - Similar Threads - I'm formatting drive

2. How long does it take Windows 10 to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long does it take Windows 10 to update: I just received my new surface pro with Windows 10. During the startup process it identified that it did not have the latest version of Windows 10. That in itself is a problem. However when it restarted it has been nothing but blue screen with little circle moving and the...
  3. Just how long is windows meant to take ?

Just how long is windows meant to take ?: Why is windows update so slow in windows 10 ? I an not even sure it is working because the same updates keep coming up but never seem to download fully if they even start at all. I have used the troubleshooter and restarted my system several times and it is still the same...
  4. How long time to format 3Tbyte HDD (not quick format)? Dead HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How long time to format 3Tbyte HDD (not quick format)? Dead HDD?: Is my HDD dead? Or can someone tell me how long time it will take to format a 3Tbyte HDD with one big partition? Right now it is trying to format via an elevated prompt and DISKPART. After about 9 minutes it says it is 1% finished .. ie it will take about 900 minutes to...
  5. Create Recovery Drive takes too long

Create Recovery Drive takes too long: The amount of time it takes to create a recovery drive is over 1 hour. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior! Microsoft needs to fix this now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-recovery-drive-takes-too-long/90b05ec7-5d62-4f78-a132-de4108102f4f
  6. How long should a windows 10 reset take?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How long should a windows 10 reset take?: I have did a remove just my files reset yesterday at 8pm and as of not its 5:07 and it looks like its stuck at 2% im scared to do a hard restart so what should i do...
  7. How long should it take to open a web page?

in Browsers and Email
    How long should it take to open a web page?: I had great hopes for Windows 10 and edge for some fast webpage loadinbg but because of several things I didn't like and problems I have gone back to 8.1. Just wondered whether it was normal for a webpage to take on average 30 seconds to open (depending on its content I...
  8. How long does "getting updates " take?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How long does "getting updates " take?: My installation is stuck on "Checking for updates 12% !!!!" I think its been like it for while. Will it get past this or has it crashed? I thought the whole point of downloading the ISO file was the updates were done directly from it. What the hell is it doing? Typical...
  9. How long does it take for a 2.5 hard drive to spin down completely?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How long does it take for a 2.5 hard drive to spin down completely?: I'd like to know approx how long does it take for a 2.5 portable hard drive to spin down completely after safely ejecting it in windows? Is 3 seconds well enough? Because I want to keep the best condition of the hard drive as long as possible. Another question: If I leave...
  10. How long should preparation for upgrade take?

How long should preparation for upgrade take?: I am upgrading from Windows 7 on a brand new computer. It has been in the "Getting your upgrade ready" stage for at least seven hours and, in fact, has been at 99 percent for at least an hour Is this normal? If not, what should I do? 56870