Windows 10: I'm running 8 pc's: how to install W10 and keep my programs???

Discus and support I'm running 8 pc's: how to install W10 and keep my programs??? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Folks, As my title indicates, I've got a few machines. They're all running nicely. (Well, except for the Surface, but that's just the way the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamc3k, Feb 2, 2015.

1. iamc3k Win User

I'm running 8 pc's: how to install W10 and keep my programs???

Folks,

As my title indicates, I've got a few machines. They're all running nicely. (Well, except for the Surface, but that's just the way the surface is...).

I'm VERY interested in upgrading to Windows 10 when it is released, especially since MS states it'll be free. (I understand the benefit of a uniform user base, so MS wins if we all upgrade.) From what I hear, W10 should be an improvement over W7.

My question: with all my machines, the idea of clean installs and having to relicense and reinstall the huge number of 3rd party programs I have is daunting. In fact, I probably will not upgrade just to avoid that hassle.

Is there ANY way to perform an in-place OS upgrade? Meaning, all the installed programs stay installed?

Thanks.

Ken

:)

iamc3k, Feb 2, 2015

2. Window 10 - game keep crashing

Same issue here,

DOTA 2 Keeps crashing. I'm running it on STEAM launcher. My Witcher 3 freezes then crashes also. Basically 80% of my software is incompatible with W10 Ent. My PC is running SLI GTX 580 GFX cards. 4GHZ CPU AMD 8350 etc.... point is I didn't have this issue
    on Windows 7. Please fix this fast, we gamers dislike Windows 8, prefer 10 but it's software incompatibility is unacceptable! Repair all the .NET issues please, also having DX issues and various DLL's that aren't on W10.

AbelOrtega559, Feb 2, 2015
  3. Event ID 129 - storahci resetting raidport0

Hi,

I have two PC's, one running a standard version of W10 Pro and another running W10 Pro Insider Preview. The generic freeze only occured on the W10 Pro Insider Preview PC, where restoring the Intel drivers finally fixed it.

Unfortunately, "out of nowhere" the generic freeze problem started on my standard W10 Pro PC as of september 8. It only occurs (until now) during the first 20 minutes after start-up. Re-installing the Intel drivers on this PC does NOT solve the problem.

It appears the generic freeze problem is expanding...

LargoWinkler, Feb 2, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Dude, Feb 2, 2015
  5. iamc3k Win User
    LOL! How did I miss that?

Excellent news. By "most apps", I hope it means "all MY apps". *Wink

iamc3k, Feb 2, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Good luck. It seems to work good so far. I have tried it and lost nothing.

Dude, Feb 2, 2015
  7. Yes -- but personally, I would recommend AGAINST doing that at this time. Main reason is that the "upgrade" is not reversible; that is, once you do the upgrade, you are stuck with it. To go back to your previous OS, you would then have to do a complete reinstall from scratch. That's not something I would want to tackle with 8 pcs.

Second reason is that Win10 is still very much work in progress, with changes (some of them not positive) coming with each new build. And, in some cases, new build introduce new problems which may then take some time to get fixed.

It's a "preview" for a reason -- we're all "beta testing" MS's new OS.

As to carrying everything over from an upgrade, no one can guarantee that. I did an in-place upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10TP and DID lose some apps in the process. The only way to know for sure is to do the upgrade -- and as I said, that's a one-way process.

Mark Phelps, Feb 3, 2015
  8. I'm running 8 pc's: how to install W10 and keep my programs???

I did it straight through Windows Update. I had registered for the preview beforehand though.

FuturDreamz, Feb 3, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Yes -- but personally, I would recommend AGAINST doing that at this time. Main reason is that the "upgrade" is not reversible; that is, once you do the upgrade, you are stuck with it. To go back to your previous OS, you would then have to do a complete reinstall from scratch. That's not something I would want to tackle with 8 pcs.

Second reason is that Win10 is still very much work in progress, with changes (some of them not positive) coming with each new build. And, in some cases, new build introduce new problems which may then take some time to get fixed.

As to carrying everything over from an upgrade, no one can guarantee that. I did an in-place upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10TP and DID lose some apps in the process. The only way to know for sure is to do the upgrade -- and as I said, that's a one-way process. Hi there

CAPS AND BOLD DELIBERATE HERE.

YOU CAN ALWAYS REVERT BACK TO AN EARLIER OS -- TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE STARTING -- AGAIN TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE STARTING.

I'm not having a go at you -- just want to underline the importance OF ALWAYS TAKING A BACKUP before doing anything serious with a computer. Then if stuff doesn't work or you want to go back for any reason simply RESTORE your OS from the backup.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2015
  10. Yes -- but personally, I would recommend AGAINST doing that at this time. Main reason is that the "upgrade" is not reversible; that is, once you do the upgrade, you are stuck with it. To go back to your previous OS, you would then have to do a complete reinstall from scratch. That's not something I would want to tackle with 8 pcs.

As to carrying everything over from an upgrade, no one can guarantee that. I did an in-place upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10TP and DID lose some apps in the process. The only way to know for sure is to do the upgrade -- and as I said, that's a one-way process. Hi there

CAPS AND BOLD DELIBERATE HERE.

YOU CAN ALWAYS REVERT BACK TO AN EARLIER OS -- TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE STARTING -- AGAIN TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE STARTING.

I'm not having a go at you -- just want to underline the importance OF ALWAYS TAKING A BACKUP before doing anything serious with a computer. Then if stuff doesn't work or you want to go back for any reason simply RESTORE your OS from the backup.

Cheers
    jimbo ...but if you forget, the Windows 10 TP makes a backup of your old OS anyways and you can revert back through recovery settings easily. Heck, on my PC system restore showed up as a boot option everytime I started my computer. Works pretty flawless, but you will problably need to reinstall Microsoft's first-party Modern apps.

FuturDreamz, Feb 3, 2015
  11. azasadny Win User
    I think the original poster wanted to know about installing the final release of Windows 10, not the technical preview.As the date for the Windows 10 launch gets closer, I'm sure we will all get this question more and more frequently. I walys advise a full backup prior to beginning the "in place upgrade" in case something goes wrong. I prefer a clean install, so I'll be sure I have all of my licenses, info, etc... to re-install all of my applications after the clean install of Windows 10.

azasadny, Feb 3, 2015
  12. Oh. In that case, In-place upgrading is easy as pie, especially if Microsoft offers it directly through Windows Update like they do for the Preview.

FuturDreamz, Feb 3, 2015
  13. LMiller7 Win User

An in place upgrade is possible, at least in the preview version and likely in the final version as well. Windows 10 is compatible with most software that runs on Windows 7. Of course their exceptions. The only way that Microsoft could guarantee absolute 100% compatibility is to make no changes in the OS at all. Obviously that is not an option. Even the most trivial changes in the OS can and has caused compatibility issues Note that an upgrade must be 32 bit to 32 bit or 64 bit to 64 bit. An upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit or the reverse has never been possible.

A clean install is usually more trouble free but an in place upgrade may be more convenient. Your best option is to make an image backup and do a trial upgrade with 1 computer that has all applications in use. Be sure to do a thorough test with all applications after the upgrade. Depending on how that goes you can decide how to proceed with the others.

Previous versions of Windows have had an upgrade advisor that would warn about most compatibility issues and this will likely be available for Windows 10 as well. You would be well advised to use this before either an upgrade or clean install. This should be available when Windows 10 is released.

LMiller7, Feb 3, 2015
  14. Robinb9 Win User
    where is the beta offered through windows update in 8.1?

Robinb9, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I'm running 8 pc's: how to install W10 and keep my programs??? - Similar Threads - I'm running pc's

2. How should I correctly install W10 on a PC that was previously running W7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How should I correctly install W10 on a PC that was previously running W7?: I'm trying to install W10 Enterprise on a PC of my work, the PC runs correctly with a HDD with W7, but when I install a SSD, W10 the PC doesn't boot. I have tried to use a USB with the W10 Enterprise and with the HDD installed. I first thought that it was just a thing of...
  3. How should I correctly install W10 on a PC that was previously running W7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How should I correctly install W10 on a PC that was previously running W7?: I'm trying to install W10 Enterprise on a PC of my work, the PC runs correctly with a HDD with W7, but when I install a SSD, W10 the PC doesn't boot. I have tried to use a USB with the W10 Enterprise and with the HDD installed. I first thought that it was just a thing of...
  4. How should I correctly install W10 on a PC that was previously running W7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My PC keeps blue screening and I'm not sure how to fix it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC keeps blue screening and I'm not sure how to fix it: My PC has been blue screening on me repeatedly, while playing games, while streaming, while watching YouTube, or while I'm away from the computer. Recently its been happening while downloading games if I were to leave my PC and it goes into sleep mode. I think it might be a...
  6. W10 Install not my pc

W10 Install not my pc: I am replacing a HDD for a friend of a friend is there anyway to install it without creating an account? I suppose kind of like when you buy one new.. It would be ready for the new info. Tia 165703
  7. Programs keep being installed to my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs keep being installed to my PC?: I swear that everyday, I keep uninstalling these programs (because I have no idea where they came from in the first place): Alertus desktop, airmedia, nitroplus, and solstice client. No matter what, they keep reinstalling after I've uninstalled them, usually the next day. Is...
  8. Is there any way to re-install W10 and keep programs without updating?

Is there any way to re-install W10 and keep programs without updating?: I am on 1803 and every single update has failed, it butchers the system and makes it largely inoperable. I have a hell of a lot installed and configured and really don't want to spend days getting it all set up again, is there any way to re-install without losing what I have...
  9. Program runs OK in W10 Pro but not in Home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program runs OK in W10 Pro but not in Home: I created a few programs using gfortran in Windows 10 Pro, where they work well, but when I transferred the .exe files to my W10 Home laptop they all failed to start. I've tried a few ideas, such as compatibility with earlier Windows versions, but no success. Where should I...
  10. make dvd auto-run / manual run in my w10 pc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    make dvd auto-run / manual run in my w10 pc.: Hello I wanted to run a dvd today but it will not run at all in my Windows Media Player.. I then tried the CyberLink DVD suite and that also wouldn't auto run but I could get it to run from a manual start. What do I need to do to make WMP work please. Also the dvd has a...