Windows 10: I'm truly amazed

Discus and support I'm truly amazed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a SSD drive running Win 10 on a AMD CPU and decided to move it to a Intel laptop. I installed it, got everything ready for a clean install and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HilltopHarry, Nov 5, 2017.

1. I'm truly amazed

I had a SSD drive running Win 10 on a AMD CPU and decided to move it to a Intel laptop. I installed it, got everything ready for a clean install and powered up the laptop. NOT what I expected. The darn thing booted up, changed some device drivers and I was good to go. I know that Windows 10 was written to be able to run on different platform but I didn't think it would do it automatically without a re-install.

:)

HilltopHarry, Nov 5, 2017
  2. Yumpin Win User

The Little Update Feller Is Truly Amazing...........

I tried Cleaning the Boot as described at the link.......

Without 'Cleaning the Boot' the downloaded package KB4041691 would quickly terminate with the message 'Server Execution Failed.....' I gather the Server did escape with its life intact.......

After 'Cleaning the Boot,' the same downloaded package KB4041691 would grind away for about 10 minutes; and finally ended with the message 'Failed to Install.....' but this message did appear within a pretty 'pop-up' which did add to the excitement of all
    this.....

Reckon I'll put the Boots to rest in Boot Hill for the evening and see what tomorrow brings........

I'm not holding out much hope however and figure maybe que serra que serra on all this for awhile.......

I really did prefer the stability and predictability of XP and Windows 7........ they actually seemed to work quite well for me.....

Windows 10 is quite a glorious piece of rubbish IMHO.........

But such is life anymore.....

Yumpin, Nov 5, 2017
  3. John Fer Win User
    The Little Update Feller Is Truly Amazing...........

Thank you for the update. Were you able to do a clean boot then download the update manually? If not, we suggest doing a
    clean boot first then try downloading the update manually via
    Microsoft Update Catalog.

Get back to us and give us an update.

John Fer, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I'm truly amazed

Hello Harry, welcome to ten Forums.

Windows 10 is really good in adapting to hardware changes. You are not the first user to be positively surprised to *Smile.

However, significant hardware changes like in your case new CPU and motherboard might cause activation being removed. If the Intel based laptop where the SSD is now did not have an existing digital license for Windows 10, it is most probable that Windows 10 is not activated on it.

In that case see this tutorial about using Activation troubleshooter: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Kari, Nov 6, 2017
  5. I had the license key but just used my hotmail account to activate.

HilltopHarry, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    My earlier post was only a "better safe than sorry" post, good to know you didn't need Activation troubleshooter.

Kari, Nov 6, 2017
  7. Just for fun I took the hard drive that was in my laptop and put in an old AMD athlon chassis I had laying around. Powered it up and it BOOTED. It complained about a couple of things because I didn't have it on the network, but it works just fine. Probably a good thing to know if your motherboard dies. Just move your drive to another chassis and keep on working.

HilltopHarry, Nov 7, 2017
  8. I'm truly amazed

I noticed that in the system properties it displays the old processor, but I can live with that.

HilltopHarry, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I'm truly amazed

1. I'm truly amazed - Similar Threads - I'm truly amazed

2. Windows 11 is amazing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is amazing: If you have the specs I really recommend getting Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-is-amazing/7bcd0d65-82c2-4b21-b356-57e9f179c5eb
  3. Windows 11 is amazing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 is amazing: If you have the specs I really recommend getting Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-is-amazing/7bcd0d65-82c2-4b21-b356-57e9f179c5eb
  4. So I'm learning python and was wondering if professional programmers truly memories all the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I'm learning python and was wondering if professional programmers truly memories all the...: So I'm learning python and was wondering if professional programmers truly memories all the code they use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-im-learning-python-and-was-wondering-if/28fa24e3-2ab9-4774-b2e1-52dc52352348
  5. So I'm learning python and was wondering if professional programmers truly memories all the...

So I'm learning python and was wondering if professional programmers truly memories all the...: So I'm learning python and was wondering if professional programmers truly memories all the code they use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-im-learning-python-and-was-wondering-if/28fa24e3-2ab9-4774-b2e1-52dc52352348
  6. Truly Transparent GIFs?

Truly Transparent GIFs?: Hi, I'm a streamer who would like to create a gif of a 3D model in Paint 3D which will rotate in the top corner of the screen. I have been able to make the gif but it comes with the horrible grey background. I'd like the background to be completely removable like when...
  7. Is Solitaire truly random

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Solitaire truly random: I have been playing Solitaire at Grandmaster level for FIVE days, and many, many hours a day, and it has become apparent to me that this game is not truly random. There is NO way statistically that I have not won this game in this amount of time. I have therefore reached the...
  8. Amazing Karaoke Not Launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Amazing Karaoke Not Launching: How do launch my installed Amazing Karaoke Windows smartphone app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amazing-karaoke-not-launching/b379b94d-be03-41b1-a576-9119e7aed685"
  9. Truly random screen savers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Truly random screen savers: I use the Firehand Ember screen saver (company no longer exists sadly as it still my favourite photo viewer so I can't ask them) and it draw images from my database of photos - thousands of them! It means that we occasionally get treated to slide shows of photos we haven't...
  10. Truly virtual

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Truly virtual: Since there is nothing to virtualize right now, this is a truly virtual topic. Anyone care to theorize on how easy it will be to virtualize 9? *Smile 1801