Windows 10: Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point

Discus and support Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today from 8.1 Pro. Trying to do an image backup (Windows 7 style) in case my disk crashes. I keep getting this error. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rmk9785e, Jun 21, 2016.

1. rmk9785e Win User

Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today from 8.1 Pro. Trying to do an image backup (Windows 7 style) in case my disk crashes. I keep getting this error. I have both Volume Shadow Copy service and the Windows Backup service running with automatic start.
    Digging a little more into this, seems like the underlying problem is with the inability to create a restore point. System protection was turned off which I have turned on but now the Volume Shadow Copy service has disappeared.
    Already ran CHKDSK and SFC /SCANNOW but neither found any errors with the disk which happens to be SSD.
    Will appreciate any ideas about solving this problem. Thank you.

:)

rmk9785e, Jun 21, 2016

2. How to backup OS and drivers on windows 10 laptop(Lenovo) ?

cyb/pc/backup/recovery drive/failure:

. I tried this but it failed a test:

when you go to recover using the recovery drive,

win10 claims it can't find the drive.

. a search revealed this has been the case for years;

you need a 3rd party imaging app.

I did find how to set a restore point

(search "system restore" or "create a restore point").

PhilipTorrance, Jun 21, 2016
  3. JMac6CT Win User
    Create a system image fails

I have Windows 10 Home 64-bit - running on an ASUS machine with 16 GB of RAM.

I can successfully create a "restore point" (System - System Protection - Create)

When I attempt to create a system image (Backup and Restore - Create a System Image) on an external USB drive, it fails. I get the following message:

"Create a system image

The backup failed.

Windows Backup encountered an error when writing data to the backup target. (0x80780166)

Additional Information:

Incorrect function (0x80070001)"

I have successfully done this in the past with no problems.

How do I fix this?

JMac6CT, Jun 21, 2016
  4. rmk9785e Win User

Been working with Microsoft Tech Support on this issue. I'm told that while Windows 8.1 worked fine with 200MB GPT Protection Partition (Mac's EFF partition), Windows 10 requires 300MB so I need to figure out a way to reduce the size of my MacBook's EFF partition and free up some storage to increase the size of the Protection Partition before I can perform an Image backup on Windows 10. Apple support forum says you can't change EFF partition size.
    The two sides are providing conflicting information. Who should I trust?

rmk9785e, Jun 22, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I guess you know system restore is off by default in Win 10.. so have you actually enabled it?

Some senior members here have commented that Backup and Restore isn't so reliable. Try Macrium Reflect (free) - so much more reliable and flexible. You should aim to use a backup medium at least twice the size of what you're backing up, so you can add several incremental (smaller) or differential (larger) images to your base image as you update your backup.

dalchina, Jun 24, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    ...and make sure to make the usb and/or dvd Macrium Reflect boot -- before a restore is needed.

RolandJS, Jun 24, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    You can also add a Macrium Reflect recovery option to the boot screen.

Steve C, Jun 25, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

Thanks for reminding me, I actually have that on all three of my computers. What I sometimes run into is: end-user, today, simply wants Windows to come up yesterday -- meaning the less boot/startup screens, the better.
    Steve, you aok, man [if you have any more Macrium ideas, please toss 'em my way, I want to learn more!].

RolandJS, Jun 25, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Ideas:
    • Create a Macrium Reflect recovery Flash Drive
    • Schedule automatic full and differential backups - I do a monthly full backup and weekly differential backup
    • Note you can mount a backup imaged disk as a disk drive and explore it to extract files / folder you may need to recover without doing a full restore

All for free!

Steve C, Jun 25, 2016
  10. rmk9785e Win User
    I assume you mean System Protection to be turned on. Yes, it is turned on.
    Since upgrade to Windows 10, the system fails to create a Restore point. The error message is:
    "The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. (0x80042306)"

Does Macrium Reflect also work for creating and restoring a BootCamp based Windows image?

rmk9785e, Jun 26, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 26, 2016
  12. rmk9785e Win User
    Tried it but it didn't fix my error issue. I see this TAPI2 error in event log every time before VSS error:

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
    AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
    Access is denied.

I found this old thread about TAPI error..
    Event ID 513 — Shadow Copy System Writer Functionality
    When I ran the Verify step, with VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command, System Writer, WMI Writer and MSSearch Service Writer all failed with Time Out error.
    Spoke to Microsoft Tech support again today. They keep telling me that the EFI partition has to be larger than 300MB. First, I didn't create this partition, the system did and I have no control over changing it. If Windows 10 required a larger partition, shouldn't it have fixed it or at least complained when the upgrade was being installed? Why can't they find any Microsoft document that states this requirement?
    As it stands, I do not have the ability to create a Restore Point since this upgrade and Microsoft tech support is of no help.

rmk9785e, Jun 30, 2016
  13. rmk9785e Win User

Finally, I found a solution which involves multiple steps. Elsewhere in this forum are some of the steps required. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1bda112?page=3
    Following that, another step is required to disable applehfs.sys which is described in details at Apple Archives - Ed Andersen

Thank you all for your help in solving a problem that Microsoft Tech Support could not.

Now, I can create a restore point. Of course, I also learned that creating an image of a BootCamp Windows installation is useless for restoration purposes. I purchased Winclone for creating an image in that environment.

rmk9785e, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point - Similar Threads - Image backup keeps

2. backup and restore system image fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  3. Can't Create System Restore Point

Can't Create System Restore Point: When I try to create a system restore point using System Properties, sometimes it just sits there forever "searching" for available drives, not allowing me to create one.Other times, it shows the drives but when I go to create one it starts and just continues eternally, never...
  4. Can't create restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't create restore point: When trying to manually create a restore point from System Properties/System Protection tab, the process runs without ever completing. I've let it go 20 minutes and still nothing. Have to go to Task Manager to get it to stop. Based on info I had read online, I deleted all...
  5. Can't create system image for backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't create system image for backup: Hello, I want to create a system image to back up my files, except when I click "On a hard disk", it automatically says "backed up data cannot be securely protected for a network target" and wants me to choose the "On a network location". What can I do to the backup?...
  6. Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?

Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?: In case I get a virus, I want to create a backup which can make the computer exactly as it was before the virus with all files, programs, and disk drives (C and D) exactly as they were. Something like Apple's Time Machine. Windows has three different options and I don't which...
  7. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  8. "Create a system image" "The backup failed"

"Create a system image" "The backup failed": Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 fully updated Trying to create a system image. Steps followed: File History - System Image Backup New windows opens - "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Click "Create a system image" Browse to external USB drive Process commences then this...
  9. can't create restore point

can't create restore point: I get error message: the restore point could not be created... insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy... (0x8004231F) I have 4 gb allotted for restore points on this partition, which is my C partition, and there are no existing restore points ....
  10. Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup

Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup: Hi, I'm on Win 10 Pro. I recently made a system image backup to a NETWORK drive using the powershell command admin start backup -backuptarget:\\pc\a\tsb-image-file -include:C: -exclude:c:\users\3\box*,c:\users\3\onedrive,c:\users\3\music -allCritical -vsscopy...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error 80080005 server execution failed win 10 back up and restore