Windows 10: Image backup.

Discus and support Image backup. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Trying to do an image backup in W10 "The drives that are required for windows to run will be included by default." The os is on disk drive c... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jayjayuno, Mar 25, 2016.

1. jayjayuno Win User

Image backup.

Trying to do an image backup in W10

"The drives that are required for windows to run will be included by default."
    The os is on disk drive c
    Another internal disk drive, H is classified by w10 as a system disk and also has to be backed up by default.
    Both C and H are ticked and cannot be un-ticked.
    I don't wish for this disk H to be backed up ( not enough space on the ext. backup disk).
    How can I make windows stop seeing H drive as another system disk
    so that I can just do an image backup of the C disk drive?
    Cheers
    J

:)

jayjayuno, Mar 25, 2016

2. Backup image

Ive already made a system image onto my external hardrive. I am a musician and the image is about 500gb.

Now i have added new softwares. Is there anyway to update this image or should i just formate it and make a new image. If it can be updated it will be amazing and i have a lot of files and it takes for ages to it to make an image. Thanks

BharathJ63, Mar 25, 2016
  3. Image Backups

Hi Frank,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, it is a good idea to back up on a different external drive for each PC.

If you are using the same drive for all 3 PC, in case the drive gets corrupted then you will loss the back up of all 3 PC.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Mar 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Image backup.

Hi, if you're having problems with the in-built system image program - which I assume is what you are using- try Macrium Reflect (free) or Aomei Backupper (free).

These - esp. Macrium- which many here recommend- are considered more reliable and much more flexible.

They also offer incremental and in the case of Aomei differential imaging, which is faster and creates smaller images once you have a base image.

dalchina, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Are you sure it's trying to backup the entire H drive or maybe just the 500MB or so, of the System Reserve.

Edwin, Mar 25, 2016
  6. jayjayuno Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I dont wish to back up anything on drive H.
    I will try Macrium and Aomei

jayjayuno, Mar 25, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2016
  8. jayjayuno Win User

Image backup.

Attachment 71596
    NB this is taken whilst trying Reflect

jayjayuno, Mar 25, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    You probably installed some program(s) in H: and/or having a service setup to run from H: then Windows Backup will consider it as part of the System backup.

Third party software such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper Free Direct Download won't have that restriction.

topgundcp, Mar 25, 2016
  10. jayjayuno Win User
    You're quite right, there are a few programs installed on H.
    Macrium has done now done an image backup of C without any trouble.
    My only uncertainty now is whether I should be doing an image backup of cloning the disk.*Redface
    ?

jayjayuno, Mar 25, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Can you clarify what you mean by that.

12. jayjayuno Win User
    Sorry typo.
    Whether to do an Image backup OR clone the C drive?

jayjayuno, Mar 25, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Image backup.

A clone is at the physical level and often a problem. I suggest you stay with images.

14. jayjayuno Win User
    Thanks to all your advice, Have used Macrium Reflect and all is well now

jayjayuno, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Image backup.

1. Image backup. - Similar Threads - Image backup

2. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  3. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  4. Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image: This started when I was trying to migrate my windows onto a new drive, I was doing it via an image and USB flash drive. while going through the process I had to select which drive I wanted it on and which drives it was going to take windows from. one of them was a drive E...
  5. Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image

Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image: This started when I was trying to migrate my windows onto a new drive, I was doing it via an image and USB flash drive. while going through the process I had to select which drive I wanted it on and which drives it was going to take windows from. one of them was a drive E...
  6. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  7. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  8. why i am not able to restore system image backup ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i am not able to restore system image backup ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third...: why i am not able to restore sib ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third party tool and use it to restore sib. but by ms sib option not work to restore, only i can backup but not restore by ms, why ms not creating restore tool as portable so any where it can be restored....
  9. why i am not able to restore system image backup ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third...

why i am not able to restore system image backup ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third...: why i am not able to restore sib ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third party tool and use it to restore sib. but by ms sib option not work to restore, only i can backup but not restore by ms, why ms not creating restore tool as portable so any where it can be restored....
  10. Can I still access my files using Windows Image Backup due to not making a System Image...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I still access my files using Windows Image Backup due to not making a System Image...: I'm trying to recover an older version of my PC to locate some missing files. The problem is, I backed up my PC using Windows Image Backup WIB, but I didn't create a System Image. I was using Windows 11, and i reinstalled windows. When I go on Disk Management, the drive is...