Windows 10: [IMAGE]Can't put items on the bottom row of desktop

Discus and support [IMAGE]Can't put items on the bottom row of desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I try to place my recycle bin on the bottom row it just moves one row up. I didn't had this issue before. I did a system restore and it was on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ruud, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Ruud Win User

[IMAGE]Can't put items on the bottom row of desktop

When I try to place my recycle bin on the bottom row it just moves one row up.
    I didn't had this issue before.
    I did a system restore and it was on the bottom row for a couple of seconds and sudddenly it moved up ;(
    I can place it on the bottom row if I change the text size to 100%, but that's too small. Is there any other way?

[IMAGE]Can't put items on the bottom row of desktop [​IMG]

:)

2. cant put icons on bottom row of screen....could before, started out of nowhere on windows 10

had windows 10 now since release and now its clearly messed up

i ran the system file checker tool and its clean

i wish i never upgraded....soooooo annoying

ericb......., Dec 30, 2015
  3. Vijay B Win User
    cant put icons on bottom row of screen....could before, started out of nowhere on windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

The issue could be due to some third-party programs causing the issue. The issue could be due to some third party programs. I would suggest you to boot the computer into clean boot and Check if the issue persists.
    Clean boot will eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is
    causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Follow How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot from article KB929135 to reset the computer to normal mode.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Dec 30, 2015
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Check to see if Auto arrange icons is enabled. Right click desktop, left click view, is auto arrange checked?

wyldman68, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Private Win User
    Try calibrate the display. Press Win + R > type in -> colorcpl <- press Enter > Advanced tab > Calibrate display.

Private, Jan 6, 2016
  6. Ruud Win User
    this isn't checked.

I still can't put things on the bottom row.

Ruud, Jan 6, 2016
  7. wyldman68 Win User
    Looks like the bottom row is reserved. Just tried to move an icon there and it jumps back up a row on my laptop. So it is a feature, for some reason.

wyldman68, Jan 6, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

This is a 'feature' of Windows 10 which MS need to fix. Depending on what screen resolution and vertical icon spacing you have, you may be unable to use the bottom row. You can change the vertical icon spacing which may help - see https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...cons-grid.html

I could place icons on the lower row with a reduced icon spacing but icons titles with 2 rows then overlapped! Beware of using the utility DesktopOK in the above thread since it caused addition problems on my PC.

Steve C, Jan 7, 2016
  9. Ruud Win User
    Okay

Okay, Thank you.
    I found something out btw.
    If you have the row full till the gap then you can place icons in the gap.
    Not possible to put the "ny map" folder on the bottom row:

This is what I did:

Possible to put the "ny map" folder on the bottom row:

Ruud, Jan 9, 2016
  10. AndreyT Win User
    I observed the same issue when display scaling was set to 110%. If prevented me from putting icons in bottom row and it also made icons in notification area to disappear. A funny workaround for the bottom row was to put some other icons into the second-from-bottom row temporarily and then put the desired icon under them. The temporary icons would "block" the bottom icon from jumping up. After that it is OK to remove the temporary icons - the bottom icon will stay in place. (This is essential the same workaround that you discovered)

Both the jumping bottom row icons and disappearing notification icons is a bug in Windows 10 triggered by rounding errors in 110% scaling mode. Switching to 109% scaling caused these issues to go away in my case.

Apparently the issue is there in 100% scaling mode as well for some display resolutions and icon spacing values.

AndreyT, Jan 9, 2016
  11. Ruud Win User
    Thank you, I'll use that work around for my recycle bin. That was the only icon I really wanted on the bottom row.

12. Steve C Win User
    Do MS ever test common features such as this?

Steve C, Jan 9, 2016
  13. AndreyT Win User

Testing has not been their strong point lately.

I almost jumped with joy when I saw that they finally replaced their old miniscule environment variable editor with a large and significantly more advanced/convenient one. But the number of frustrating bugs in the new editor is just appaling.

AndreyT, Jan 9, 2016
  14. Chaz Win User
    This worked for me, too, after wasting time fiddling with icon spacing in the registry. I wanted the recycle bin in the bottom row, so moved it as low as I could (second row from bottom), the filled the space above it with icons, then moved an icon between recycle bin and the icon above it. Recycle bin promptly moved to the bottom!

15. caperjack Win User
    am I missing something ,I seem to be able to put icons where ever I want

caperjack, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

1. [IMAGE]Can't put items on the bottom row of desktop - Similar Threads - IMAGE Can't put

2. Can't select bottom part of desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select bottom part of desktop: I have a Surface Pro 8 on Windows 11. As you can see in the image, I can't left click + drag to select everything on the desktop. It stops slightly above the taskbar.It happens when I'm using the device by itself, and it happens if I'm displaying to a second monitor only....
  3. Can't select bottom part of desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't select bottom part of desktop: I have a Surface Pro 8 on Windows 11. As you can see in the image, I can't left click + drag to select everything on the desktop. It stops slightly above the taskbar.It happens when I'm using the device by itself, and it happens if I'm displaying to a second monitor only....
  4. Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...: When you have icons added to the desktop, they add vertically from top left down column by column moving right. When you select an icon, and hold shift, and select another icon, it highlights all the icons by row first, starting where selected and going right then down, row...
  5. Mousepad and bottom row of function buttons disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mousepad and bottom row of function buttons disabled: Hi I was hoping somebody could help me. I don't know what has happened but my bottom row of function buttons and my mousepad is not working. The pointer circle between the g and h in the middle of the keyboard works and the top row of function buttons work. I`ve tried...
  6. Spades continually on bottom row in Freecell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spades continually on bottom row in Freecell: I've been noticing lately that for some reason, often almost all the spades are on the bottom row in Freecell games, and usually in some kind of order. Here are screen shots of the last three games I've played. This has been going on for a few days, and even though I only...
  7. I can't click on anything in the bottom row.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't click on anything in the bottom row.: I can't click on that bottom row and this makes it harder to navigate, I have to keep all apps in different locations and I'm wondering how do I fix it? I can't add a screenshot but I can explain where it is, it's at the bottom of a windows 10 screen, it has cortana and it...
  8. Can't put an image on a folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't put an image on a folder in File Explorer: In File Explorer I right-click a folder and select Properties. In the Customise tab, under Choose a file to show on this folder icon, I select Choose file. I navigate to my Pictures folder and select an image and then click on Apply and OK. And nothing happens, the folder is...
  9. Put image on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Put image on desktop: I'd like to place an image on the desktop. Not an Icon, not the background, just an image. Like a gadget but inactive. Maybe in a window if the window has no header or borders. Oversized icon? 77984
  10. any way to fix windows 10 desktop bottom row bug without dpi change?

in Windows 10 Support
    any way to fix windows 10 desktop bottom row bug without dpi change?: as the title says, ever since windows 10 i am not able to place items on my bottom row of my desktop. its very annoying and the only way to work around this is a dpi change, but not messing with dpi causes other issues with windows, and the new chrome update is now a issue....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. borderpane cant put items on bottom