Windows 10: Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren'

Discus and support Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem with the preview display on image files where some will show an image preview and others will show an icon. This error does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Diggum3, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Diggum3 Win User

Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren'

I have a problem with the preview display on image files where some will show an image preview and others will show an icon.
    This error does not happen systematically. When I open a folder with images in it some preview the image while others don’t. When I next reopen the same folder the same thing happens but with different files being affected.
    Similarly, when I try to refresh the file contents, all of the file previews flicker with the image preview for an instant before reverting to an icon.
    I have read many instances of this same issue happening to other people over the last few years but my problems have only been extant for the last few weeks.
    Reading about how other sufferers have overcome their problem I have tried the same solutions.

• I have tried opening a folder that has images in it and gone to options/change folder and search options/view/ and made sure that the check box for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked. It was.
    • In the same view I then checked the “Always show icons, never thumbnails” box, click apply and then OK. I was rewarded with nine image previews instead of one but the rest (16) remained as icons. So I then repeated the procedure with the same result. Nine files as previews and sixteen as icons.
    • I then followed the same path and clicked the ‘Restore Defaults’ option and applied with exactly the same result.
    • I then tried all of the previous on a different folder with a similar result; twelve out of eighteen remained as icons and six showed previews.
    • I then tried to reset all folders with the same result.
    • I then tried another method of the same thing by reviewing the visual effects settings in Performance options. I achieved this by pressing the Win+R keys to open Run, typing SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe, and clicking on OK to open Performance Options. Here I made sure that the check box for “Show thumbnails instead of icons” was checked. After completing this step I went back through multiple image folders and as I opened each folder the previews on each file would flash an image preview before reverting to an icon. A small (variable) number of files would have a preview but the rest remained as icons.
    • I have also noticed that for some unknown reason the default program to view and open image files had changed to the “Photos” app. So I changed the default app to “Windows Photo Viewer” and “Photo Viewer” in turn; with no effect.
    • I then went to Control Panel and opened the Ease of Access Centre. Here I firstly checked the option “Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)” and clicked Apply; to no effect. So I went back in and unchecked that box, clicked apply and OK. Similarly to no effect. There may have been a moment longer of flickering of file previews when I checked some of the folders.
    • Next I went to Settings/Ease of Access/Other Options and turned off (and on again) the “Play animations in Windows” option. Again, to no effect.
    • Some blogs suggested that the problem may be drive overcrowding all my executables are on an SSD with 150GB used and 73 GB free. I have also cleaned it up with no result. All of the images are saved to a data drive that has 450 GB free. I think that drive overcrowding is not the problem.
    • I also have tried clearing the thumbnail cache by following instructions that I found on the Windows 10 Forums site;
      • Using the disk cleanup option and selecting ‘Thumbnails”. I then rebooted to find no change.
      • Rebuild the Icon Cache using a BAT file
      • Rebuild the Icon Cache in the Command Prompt
    All of the above had the same effect; zero. I have tried every suggested solution method that I could find about this and have had no luck so far so I am hoping that someone out there has heard of this weird anomaly before.

If anyone can help I would be VERY grateful.

Thx
    Peter

:)

Diggum3, Dec 3, 2017
  2. GeorgeMQ Win User

Windows 10 preview pane does not show image previews

I have the same problem of the viewing pane not showing images most of the time, although sometimes images do appear.

The "Always show icons, never thumbnails" box has always been unchecked, and so that is the issue.

GeorgeMQ, Dec 3, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - Images not previewing in some folders, but do in others

Hello!

Recently our School Division migrated to windows 10 from 7. An odd issue has come up with the thumbnails and previews of some image files stored locally or in the cloud. For us, some images show a proper thumbnail or image preview, and yet some do not, we
    simply see the generic 'Blue Mountain' for the photos app.

We have moved through the multiple suggestions of clearing the thumbnail caches, confirming all settings direct or point to allowing thumbnails to be viewed and even looking at the registry to ensure it is also allowing thumbnails. What is very odd is in
    a folder of 10 images, 2 appear with thumbnails and 18 do not, the next folder might appear 100% correct, the next back to a portion appearing correctly. Its is consistent in the fact that it is always the same folders with the issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ChrisMacKinnon, Dec 3, 2017
Thema:

Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren'

1. Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren' - Similar Threads - Image files are

2. Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer: Hello!Yesterday I was using a newly-bought USB stick. I didn't have enough space on OneDrive to automatically transfer files to a new PC and since I have a lot of files I need to transfer I decided to simply put all the files most of which are image jpg and PNG, however there...
  3. Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer: Hello!Yesterday I was using a newly-bought USB stick. I didn't have enough space on OneDrive to automatically transfer files to a new PC and since I have a lot of files I need to transfer I decided to simply put all the files most of which are image jpg and PNG, however there...
  4. Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images: New laptop running Windows 11 with Dropbox and Carbonite only displays some image thumbnails. We scanned for malware, ran sfc /scannow, reset folder defaults, deleted thumbnail cache, and rebooted. There are no missing Windows updates. Opening the photo to view it and then...
  6. Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images: New laptop running Windows 11 with Dropbox and Carbonite only displays some image thumbnails. We scanned for malware, ran sfc /scannow, reset folder defaults, deleted thumbnail cache, and rebooted. There are no missing Windows updates. Opening the photo to view it and then...
  7. Suddenly only some image files display thumbnails while most do not

Suddenly only some image files display thumbnails while most do not: Heya, my system used to show virtually all images with a thumbnail, but for some reason most now just display as a blank file icon. I've checked my settings in File Explorer Options and cleared my thumbnail cache, and nothing has been installed recently. Even in directories...
  8. Most image thumbnails replaced by icons in file explorer

Most image thumbnails replaced by icons in file explorer: Most of my image thumbnails have recently been replaced by icons. I'm not aware of any action that precipitated this change. This only affects some files, but it affects multiple folders, sizes/ages of file and file types. There seems to be no pattern to which files...
  9. File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t: In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them. In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked. On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab,...
  10. PDF files_ Some show thumbnail image, some don't?

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF files_ Some show thumbnail image, some don't?: I am having this problem with PDF files. Some of them show the 1st page of the file(mostly books front cover) as thumbnail image on the desktop, and, inside folders, but, some don't show the thumbnail image of the first page in the file. These files that don't show the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. some are icons some are thumbnails always show icons not thumbnails unchecked in windows 10