Windows 10: Image folder preview stopped working

Discus and support Image folder preview stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since I have updated to Fall Creators Update, folder image preview no longer works I just get an image placeholder (see screen shot). Any way to fix?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by banger, Nov 9, 2017.

1. banger Win User

Image folder preview stopped working

Since I have updated to Fall Creators Update, folder image preview no longer works I just get an image placeholder (see screen shot). Any way to fix?

Image folder preview stopped working [​IMG]

Tried deleting the thumbnails database from command prompt but did not make any difference. In some folders pic thumbnails show some icons show.

:)

banger, Nov 9, 2017
  2. Airyu Win User

Right-Click preview option missing after Win 10 install

This option is not in any way like the previous mentioned "Preview" option other than the obvious. Files are always alphabetical and it does not roll over back to the first image. It works with "collections" and the old preview was folder specific and
    dynamic (it rebuilds a list every time you open a folder so selecting one image and selecting "Preview" in the context menu lets you view every file in the folder in FOLDER sort order).

Airyu, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Banger696 Win User
    Image thumbnails in folders stopped working after fall creators update

Also while looking for fixes for this I discovered the preview pane isn't working. I enable the preview pane in an image folder and highlight an image and the preview pane stays blank. Can we have a fix for that as well? See attached screenshot.

Banger696, Nov 9, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Did you go into File and Folder options and make sure that you did not change the setting for icons to not show images. Along with enabling check marks.

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  5. banger Win User
    Yes have checked that but here is the funny thing in some folders some pictures display some display as an icon, its all screwed up which makes picking screenshots difficult.

banger, Nov 9, 2017
  6. Maybe the app you have associated picture files with causing the problem.

Associate picture files with Windows Photo Viewer and see this will resolve the issue.

FreeBooter, Nov 9, 2017
  7. banger Win User
    Checked default apps and pictures are set to "Photos" so looks like that app is playing up. See screenie

banger, Nov 9, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  9. banger Win User
    @bro67 if you look at the screenshot shown above your post some pictures are displayed some are not. Trying to run the store troubleshooter and it is asking for a passphrase. Grrrr

banger, Nov 9, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Forget about the troubleshooter, you are going to have to go and do it the old school way. This is because for some reason the thumbnail cache is messed up, which requires going in and doing a cleanup, along with following the tutorial. It is really straightforward, that if all else fails, you do a rollback in system restore.

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  11. banger Win User
    I have already deleted the databases and that hasn't helped a rollback is not an option.

banger, Nov 9, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    A System Restore or non-volatile rollback, are your only two options. Something that you were doing, caused this. If in Files and Folders in the Control Panel does not work under the Themes section, you are going to have to try and show in detail, when it started, where you doing something and caused this, are you running any kind of third party software.

I have gotten to the point that I do not carry any documents and such on my MacBook Air, same as the Lenovo in our back room for doing somethings on windows. All of my stuff is kept on a NAS and in icloud.

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  13. banger Win User

Unfortunately I didn't notice when it started happening but it seems to have coincided with windows fall update. Hmm not much to go on I know.

Looking at the feedback hub it is a known problem with 27 upvotes and has been around since a year ago with win 10 so just need MS to fix it!

banger, Nov 9, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    There is nothing for Microsoft to fix. It is caused by a human makit changes. The Rubbon and the Files and Folders in the Control Panel are the fix.

bro67, Nov 10, 2017
  15. banger Win User
    I had a MS remote session with a tech last night and she changed the default app to paint which made more of the icons turn to thumbnails but didn't fix all of them. She also checked the File settings in folder options by control panel and the ribbon setting. Neither of these fixed it.

banger, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Image folder preview stopped working - Similar Threads - Image folder preview

2. File image preview on folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File image preview on folders: About a week ago or so, I noticed that the folders in Windows 11 was not showing the file image preview on the folder icon like it has in the past. I've read articles/questions here and on other sites and have tried so many things i.e. uncheck 'always show icons, never...
  3. File image preview on folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File image preview on folders: About a week ago or so, I noticed that there the folders in Windows 11 was not showing the file image preview on the folder icon like it has in the past. I've read articles/questions here and on other sites and have tried so many things i.e. uncheck 'always show icons, never...
  4. Preview pane stopped working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview pane stopped working.: Preview pane stopped working. Suddenly.Basic settings have been checked. Is there something I can check in the registry, or reload Explorer completely, or reinstall windows 10 again, over this one?...
  5. Preview pane stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview pane stopped working.: Preview pane stopped working. Suddenly.Basic settings have been checked. Is there something I can check in the registry, or reload Explorer completely, or reinstall windows 10 again, over this one?...
  6. Preview pane stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Image Previews Not Working on File Explorer

Image Previews Not Working on File Explorer: After turning on my PC lately, I've noticed that the image previews in file explorer for all my images were not visible/present. Clearing and rebuilding the icon cache doesn't work. Would it have had anything to do with me installing the experimental new Segoe MDL2 font on a...
  8. Image Previews Not Working on File Explorer

Image Previews Not Working on File Explorer: After turning on my PC this morning, I noticed that the image previews in file explorer for all my images were not visible/present. Is this easily fixable, or is this just an issue with the May 2021 verion of Windows 10 20H2?...
  9. Image Preview Hover not working?

Image Preview Hover not working?: Hello, I am trying to set up a quick and accessible folder that also shows large previews of the images inside. At the moment I currently have to click on each image to load them up which is time consuming and a bit annoying. Is there a way I can do this? [ATTACH]...
  10. Image Preview not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Image Preview not working.: So I've been having an issue for a while now, and none of my image files will preview. The Icons are just the generic jpg icon, so I can't just make the icons bigger and look either. PDFs, .ai, .eps, those all preview just fine. Only image files; jpgs, pngs, tiffs, none of...