Windows 10: Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?

Discus and support Image or clone the hard drive? Best option? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Would appreciate your help! *Confused Have a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop (one morning the laptop with Windows 7 upgraded itself to Windows 10).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cottonball, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?

Would appreciate your help! *Confused

Have a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop (one morning the laptop with Windows 7 upgraded itself to Windows 10). Would like to use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of its hard drive. Have no clue whether I need an image or whether I need to clone the hard drive. It all depends on what could happen to the laptop??? This is unpredictable.

It is my understanding, that with Macrium Reflect Free you can make a single, full image of the hard drive. (However, creating scheduled images, whether incremental or differential, require the paid plan.)If data is corrupted, or, the PC becomes infected with malware, you can restore from the drive image, if the PC still boots properly and takes you to a blue screen with an option to restore your PC from an image backup.

However, if the hard drive is failing, can one use a drive image to set Windows up on a brand new hard drive?Will this involve a secondary process that is normally saved on a separate flash drive?

Prefer to do either an image or a clone, but not both. Which one would be the best to do?

Thanks for your assistance !! *Smile

:)

cottonball, Sep 18, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Sep 18, 2017
  3. System Image Recovery

What drive is the image stored on?

What boot media are you using to restore the image?

What do you mean by cloning? Cloning is done by a different process with both disks attached, transferring the install from one to the other using an installed program like Macrium or it's rescue disk:

The best way to clone a hard drive (least time-consuming, error-prone)

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Restore a System Image Backup in Windows 7, 8 and 10

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?

Macrium Reflect includes an option to make a rescue drive either on a USB flash drive or a DVD. When your hard drive fails, and the computer will not boot at all, you would boot it from the USB rescue flash drive or DVD and it will load directly into Macrium Reflect. Then you would restore the image to a new hard drive or SSD from the external drive or network location where the image was stored when you created the image.

NavyLCDR, Sep 18, 2017
  5. Thanks for the info, NavyLCDR!

Does the USB flash drive need to be formatted as FAT 32, or NTFS?

cottonball, Sep 18, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Sep 18, 2017
  7. Thanks!!

The USB was already FAT32, so all is good.

Have a great week!! *Smile

cottonball, Sep 18, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

As another alternative, @cottonball, you can partition an external hard drive as GPT partitioning - create a FAT32 partition at the front of it, copy the Macrium Reflect rescue drive or Kyhi's recovery tools to the FAT32 partition. Make an NTFS partition following it to hold the image. You can then boot the computer from the FAT32 partition and restore the image from the NTFS partition, all in one, with no need for a rescue USB flash drive. That would be for a UEFI computer.

I think you can do the same for a legacy BIOS computer, but the hard drive must be in MBR type partitioning, and the boot partition would be marked as active.

NavyLCDR, Sep 18, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Cloning's primary function is to make a copy of hard drive, so disks can be swapped.

Image Backups primary function is to recover system to SAME drive. It can also be used to indirectly clone a new drive.

For backup purposes, system image backup is what you need as more flexible and backups are compressed taking less soace, and you can have multiple backups at differnt stages to suit (full or differential).

cereberus, Sep 18, 2017
  10. Thanks for the info cereberus!

Just want to make a single, full image of the hard drive.

To create scheduled images, incremental or differential, it is my understanding, would have to upgrade to a paid plan.

cottonball, Sep 18, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    The free version has schedules and differential backups. Diffs are slightly less space efficient but for most domestic users this is barely noticeable.

cereberus, Sep 18, 2017
  12. Thanks cereberus,

Will keep that in mind.

Have a great week!!

cottonball, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Image or clone the hard drive? Best option? - Similar Threads - Image clone hard

2. Imaging/Cloning hard drive from Desktop to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Imaging/Cloning hard drive from Desktop to laptop: Hey there,Just curious about the best procedure when it comes to cloning/imaging a hard drive from a desktop to a laptop. I am aware that desktops can have OEM or retail license keys and laptops would come with an OEM license key. How would I go about cloning/imaging the...
  3. Imaging/Cloning hard drive from Desktop to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imaging/Cloning hard drive from Desktop to laptop: Hey there,Just curious about the best procedure when it comes to cloning/imaging a hard drive from a desktop to a laptop. I am aware that desktops can have OEM or retail license keys and laptops would come with an OEM license key. How would I go about cloning/imaging the...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  5. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  6. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  8. Hard drive cloning question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive cloning question: Basically my desktop has an old intel p600 256gb nvme drive, clearly not enough for gaming or anything. id like to clone it to a 1tb nvme drive, i understand i can just get an nvme to usb adapter to do this and use some cloning software but here is where im getting confused,i...
  9. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  10. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...