Windows 10: Image previews screwed on new images

Discus and support Image previews screwed on new images in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, This has been bugging me for ages! For some reason, new images I have in a folder don't get a preview image: [img] The frustrating part,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by youradds, Nov 19, 2017.

1. youradds Win User

Image previews screwed on new images

Hi,

This has been bugging me for ages! For some reason, new images I have in a folder don't get a preview image:

Image previews screwed on new images [​IMG]

The frustrating part, is that it works fine for old images that have been viewed - but not new ones!

Once I have opened the image, it then shows correctly (and also the "surrounding" images that were missing as well);

Am I missing something? I know it used to work fine (only seems to be an issue since the last update, or maybe 2nd to last update)

Cheers

Andy

:)

youradds, Nov 19, 2017

2. Explorer Preview Pane Displays Some Images and Not Othes

I've noticed some additional "behavior." An image I selected showed a preview, I moved to the next one and got the white square, moved back to the one that worked and it was replaced with a white square. Also, an image was taken with iPhone and then cropped
    and posted in Instagram. The cropped version that was automatically saved to the camera roll shows up consistently in the preview pane but not the original. The same happens if I open the image with Photoshop, make changes and save as a new file, but not if
    i save without changes. Images are uploaded to my laptop with Dropbox.

Is there an alternate windows app I can use to preview images?

Driftless Roots, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Ramzh Win User
    Solid Colour background preview

When I select/assign a new picture as background, the preview just shows the solid colour I picked instead of the image.

Example: image

How do I solve this to show the preview of the selected picture?

Thanks

Ramzh, Nov 19, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are not getting previews, you need to check the File & Folder options in Control Panel. Also make sure that the Preview agent is still installed under Default programs.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  5. youradds Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, I *do* get the thumbnails , but only once I have opened the image and then reload the folder. Here are my settings for folders:

I'm not sure what you mean about the "preview agent". Is this in the normal Programs section of CP?

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Nov 19, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Preview agent as in the default program that is supposed to allow you to view the file from a folder and open it. Something happened to cause this behavior. Best way to cheat is to just roll back to a System Restore point before it occured.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  7. youradds Win User
    Hi,

Where would I find out about the "Preview agent"? I'm not too sure I want to restore back 2 versions - as they appear to be critical updates:

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Nov 19, 2017
  8. Winuser Win User

Not sure this will work but may be worth trying. Go to default apps and change the default app to view photos. Restart your computer. Go back to default apps and change the default app to view photos to the app you want to use. Restart the computer again and check to see if the image preview works.

Winuser, Nov 19, 2017
  9. youradds Win User
    Thanks for having a go - but no joy I'm afraid *Sad

youradds, Nov 19, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    You may have to do a repair on it to fix it. You can boot into the repair option and choose to not reset the computer.

bro67, Nov 20, 2017
  11. youradds Win User
    Thanks for the reply. What does a "Repair" do ? This is my work computer, so I'm always wary of doing anything that could break it *Smile

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Nov 20, 2017
  12. youradds Win User
    Wahoo - got it going!

As suggested earlier, I had to change the "Default App" for photos. I came across this page: How to bring back missing preview of photos in windows 10

The instructions are not quite right - as the way to get there is:

Windows Key + i

Then "Apps" > "Default Apps"

Then once in there, look for "Photo Viewer". Mine was set to the default (recommended, apparently!) version of "Photos". I changed this to "Windows Photo Viewer", and now it works!!!

Thanks everyone for having a go at this. At least it got me on the right track. Hopefully it helps someone else in the future too

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Image previews screwed on new images - Similar Threads - Image previews screwed

2. Issue with Image previews

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Image previews: Hello allI had recently migrated my OS to a new SSD drive, but now I'm suffering from an issue which is irritating me to no end, that being that image previews are not popping up and only being shown as generic icons, that even includes brand new images I've created and even...
  3. Issue with Image previews

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with Image previews: Hello allI had recently migrated my OS to a new SSD drive, but now I'm suffering from an issue which is irritating me to no end, that being that image previews are not popping up and only being shown as generic icons, that even includes brand new images I've created and even...
  4. Image Preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image Preview: SVG and PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-preview/139ae225-5d9b-42bf-b0b1-03d1a8f0bd90
  5. Image Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image Preview: SVG and PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-preview/139ae225-5d9b-42bf-b0b1-03d1a8f0bd90
  6. Image Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Image previewing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Image previewing: can anyone explain the crosses on the image previews and how to remove them please?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-previewing/182b8550-22f9-4198-a569-823471de2216
  8. image preview

in Windows 10 Support
    image preview: i used to be able to hover my curser over a jpeg and it automatically gave me a preview of the picture. why does it no longer work? I now have to right click to get the preview. im using windows 10 home edition 155558
  9. image previewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    image previewer: where is the right click image viewer in 10? can it be turned on? (Wait, beware of scammers! Seriously? What happened to product support and quality? - Rhetorical, don't answer the questions in parentheses)...
  10. Image Preview ..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image Preview ..?: Hi All After CU1803 update , all my pictures on desktop or picture folder don't show "Preview" real image like before .. Is there any setting i need to do ..? Thanks [img] 110114