Windows 10: Image restore on larger SSD

Discus and support Image restore on larger SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to restore a Windows 10 system image taken from a 60Gb SSD to a new 240gb SSD on the same computer? I am thinking of using the windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x86intel, Jan 27, 2016.

1. x86intel Win User

Image restore on larger SSD

Is it possible to restore a Windows 10 system image taken from a 60Gb SSD to a new 240gb SSD on the same computer?
    I am thinking of using the windows 10 installation USB to boot then repair to recover the image onto the 240Gb SSD.
    Would this work? Does partition size affect the new 240Gb SSD?
    The system is already licenced for Windows 10 and nothing has changed other than the SSD volume size..

Any clues, tips or guidance on this..

The VERY last resort is to install over again with all programs, tweaks, etc..but, I'd rather not. *cry

:)

x86intel, Jan 27, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 27, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Switching to Larger C: Drive & Windows 10

The easiest way to do this is to make an image of the smaller SSD and restore it to the larger SSD. If you know how to make and restore a disk image, this is practically effortless.

You'll end up with an exact copy of the smaller SSD on the larger SSD. Then you can use Windows Disk Management to increase the size of your volume.

Most retail hard drives come with an abridged version of disk imaging software and instructions on how to use it. Follow the instructions carefully and you should do fine.

Once you realize the power of disk imaging - the ability to make an exact copy of an entire hard disk or an individual partition - you'll understand why this is an excellent way to backup. Imagine never needing to reinstall Windows or your software ever
    again (unless you want to.)

BulldogXX, Jan 27, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

There should be no difficulty doing that. You will end up with 180GB of unallocated space. That you can use to extend the C partition or make another partition. Just make sure the bootmgr is also transferred. If nothing else, first copy the bootmgr to C.

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Help Forums

5. x86intel Win User
    Cool, thanks. <great news>
    So I could then just use Windows 10 disk manager to modify the size of the unallocated/ allocated space to my choosing once the Bootmgr is in place then?

new download location for EasyBCD
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

x86intel, Jan 27, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Yes, extend the C partition with disk management.

7. x86intel Win User
    Excellent, many thanks whs!
    Rep updated for you sir.

x86intel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Image restore on larger SSD - Similar Threads - Image restore larger

2. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  3. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  4. Restore Image to SSD using a second computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Image to SSD using a second computer: My desktop computer failed to boot. Windows was an SSD drive. I have a System Image on an external HDD, in a subfolder. Can I use a second windows computer to restore the the image from the external HDD to the SSD drive I can connect the SDD to this PC also as an external...
  5. reactivate win 10 with a larger SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reactivate win 10 with a larger SSD: Hi. I nowhere find this answer in a specific way. I do have a digital license from win 10 and I am upgrading my ssd from 240gb to 500gb. That is the only change I am making. Will the activation cause problems? Thank you....
  6. Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium: Hi, I wanted to upgrade my pc replacing a 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD. So I followed this guide (Upgrading laptop SSD to larger SSD using Macrium and external HDD): Capture an IMAGE of the ENTIRE original drive to a file on your external drive. Swap out the SSD. Boot into...
  7. 2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd: hi I have a pc with 1 m2 ssd drive on which win 10 is active how do I transfer everything including win 10 on it to the newer bigger drive and use the bigger one as a replacement c drive I don't have the product key as win was pre installed...
  8. Restoring HDD image to SSD

Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  9. Upgrade to larger ssd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to larger ssd problem: I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop. Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot? 100888
  10. Back and restore M.2 SSD using an image

Back and restore M.2 SSD using an image: Hello Masters! I just bought a new notebook which is an inspiron 746, its a dual drive notebook with a normal SATA drive and an M.2 Slot. It uses the M.2 Slot for the primary disk which it boots on. I have a spare M.2 (256GB) which is bigger than the one that came with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to use a image restore to transfer your ssd to a larger ssd

2. transfer system image backup to new already installed larger ssd

3. backup and retores win 10 to a larger ssd

4. restore windows to bigger ssd,
  5. can i install larger SSD in HP laptop doing a restore,
  6. restore from recovery image windows 10 to new ssd,
  7. how to restore windows image to bigger ssd,
  8. system recovery on a larger new ssd,
  9. use system image to put win 10 on larger ssd,
  10. windows image recovery to a bigger ssd,
  11. backup and restore windows on a larger HDD,