Windows 10: Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot.

Discus and support Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been swapping out Windows 10 and Windows 7 on my desktop using Macrium Reflect (free version) image backups and restores to the same disk for more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lee101, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Lee101 Win User

Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot.

I've been swapping out Windows 10 and Windows 7 on my desktop using Macrium Reflect (free version) image backups and restores to the same disk for more than a year without any problem. However, today I restored the last saved Windows 10 backup image to a newly acquired disk (same model and size as the old one - Samsung 1TB) using a hot swap rack. The restore ran normally and completed but hung during the boot up process. NO error message, just the spinning dots display. I tried earlier backup images and Media Rescue disks to no avail. I'm now suspecting that the disk might have a problem, but curious as to how the restore process appears to work ok - any ideas as to why the restore cannot boot ?

:)

Lee101, Jul 7, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Restore points were deleted

The whole idea of backing up is to copy your data to somewhere that's not on your computer. That way, if your computer gets damaged, you won't lose your data. A USB drive is inexpensive and easy to use: Just plug it into a USB port and you're ready
    to go. After you've made your image, you can remove the USB drive and store it somewhere safe.

You can certainly use Windows' own disk image creator if you want. I'm only saying that third party software is easier to understand and has many more features than the built-in utility.

An image is an exact copy of a hard disk, so if you make an image of a boot-able hard disk, and you restore that image to a hard disk that won't boot, you will again have a boot-able hard disk.

But you should know that hard disks can fail to boot for many reasons that an image can't fix. For example, if your hard disk is physically damaged, or if your BIOS or UEFI is corrupted, restoring an image won't fix that.

BulldogXX, Jul 7, 2017
  3. NeetB Win User
    Have trouble/s restoring an System Image Backup of Windows 10

The WindowsImageBackup folder doesn't show up in the restore, despite moving it to the root or even at the different partition of local hard disk.

NeetB, Jul 7, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

A possibility is that you modified some physical hardware on the computer that Windows is having a hard time being able to recognize, since it wasn't there before. Does this apply?

pepanee, Jul 7, 2017
  5. Lee101 Win User
    No mods to the computer other than adding the removable disk rack and switching SATA data & power cables from my old disk to the rack. The old disk boots and works fine in the rack. When I get another set of cables, I can put the old disk with Windows 7 on it back in its original fixed location - allowing me to run diagnostics on the new disk.

Lee101, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Image restore to different hard disk doesn't boot. - Similar Threads - Image restore different

2. Boot image doesn't change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot image doesn't change: For the past couple months, the boot image won't change. I've checked settings and Lock Screen Background is set to "Windows spotlight" but I keep seeing the same image one I don't care for. How can I get the boot image to go back to changing?Thanks...
  3. Boot image doesn't change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot image doesn't change: For the past couple months, the boot image won't change. I've checked settings and Lock Screen Background is set to "Windows spotlight" but I keep seeing the same image one I don't care for. How can I get the boot image to go back to changing?Thanks...
  4. Define hard disk for different profiles?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Define hard disk for different profiles?: Hi. Can hard disks be set to a Windows profile? For example my girlfriend wants to use the pc but should not delete the data from the SSD and my HDD or be able to access these hard drives. She would then get her own hard drive where she could store her pictures and etc....
  5. Restore Windows Image Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Windows Image Doesn't Work: I am trying to use RESET MY PC feature. It is a captured 1703 image. I have winre.wim in the C:\Windows\System32\Recovery folder. I have used the command "reagentc.exe /setreimage /path C:\windows\system32\recovery and 'reagentc.exe /enable'. I used this command to try to...
  6. Restored image will not boot

Restored image will not boot: Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running great through many Windows 10 upgrades. I'm currently running the latest 1903 version. I'm starting to run out of room on the C...
  7. Create / restore disk image in windows7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create / restore disk image in windows7: I have an issue when i was trying to restore a previous disk image mage by windows 10 os. As i have a dual booted partition on my 240gb ssd drive with the other one being Windows 7 os. I was expecting the other one being restored as well. Instead i got a blank partition where...
  8. Ηow to restore the capacity of a hard disk after image recovery

Ηow to restore the capacity of a hard disk after image recovery: Let me explain my problem. I have 3 HDD's (2 internals (1 SSD 120 GB and 1 HDD-Sata 200 GB) and 1 external USB HDD (2 TB)). I have installed Windows 10 Pro x64 final οn the SSD 120 GB without problems and i have installed the extra programs that i use, also without problems....
  9. Restore a windows 10 disk image

Restore a windows 10 disk image: Hello, I made a windows 10 disk image with the built in tool as i had to send my surface pro back to CS. Now that it it bask I want to restore it. The problem is when I want to do recover it it finds correclty my backup on my external hard drive but after selecting it it...
  10. Restore with disk image

Restore with disk image: How do I reinstall Windows 10 from a USB Disk Image 17737