Windows 10: Image Windows 10 laptops with DISM (or other free tool)

Discus and support Image Windows 10 laptops with DISM (or other free tool) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All I'm about to rollout about 100 Lenovo Carbon X1 laptops with Windows 10 Pro on them and I wanted to find out how I can create an image of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by xy677, Feb 28, 2017.

1. xy677 Win User

Image Windows 10 laptops with DISM (or other free tool)

Hi All

I'm about to rollout about 100 Lenovo Carbon X1 laptops with Windows 10 Pro on them and I wanted to find out how I can create an image of a fully patched Windows 10 install. From what I have read ImageX is no longer so I assume I have to use DISM.

Can DISM be used to do this? What I would like to do is install all the latest Windows 10 updates for build 1607 and install the apps (Office, Adobe Reader, Java etc) and then capture the image to a bootable USB3 external hard drive that I can use to image all the laptops.

Can this be done and if it can, what are the steps to follow? I'm open to using free tools that don't require a license and can be used in a company. Windows activation is one thing I have also been wondering about so need to keep the machine activated after imaging it. All the laptops are identical.

If I've left anything out please ask *Tongue

:)

xy677, Feb 28, 2017
  2. Argel Obm Win User

November 2017 (4048955) Update Breaks Some Functionality

Since the System File Checker (SFC) tool did not find any corruptions in the system files, kindly run the Deployment Image Servicing Management (DISM) tool to check if the image of Windows 10 is fine. The link that we've provided also has the steps on
    how to run the Deployment Image Servicing Management tool. We recommend that you run the DISM tool first before running the SFC tool so that we can be sure that there is no issue with the image and system files of Windows 10.

Kindly share with us the outcome of the tools.

Argel Obm, Feb 28, 2017
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Can't open jpgs

Since the System File Checker tool didn't find anything, let's run another tool that can also check for corruption just to ensure that the entire system is free of corruption. The Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) can check the corrupted
    files then download and replace the files through Windows Update.

For more information about the DISM tool and how to run it on your device, see

Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool

Rey Bel1, Feb 28, 2017
  4. Kyhi Win User

5. xy677 Win User
    Thanks for that!

I was just thinking, can I use the "Back up and Restore" in Windows 10 to create a System Image to an external HDD that I can use to deploy to the other laptops?

xy677, Feb 28, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    It would be MUCH slower. Several times longer in my experience (comparing Windows system Image to Macrium)

You would be better off saving and restoring the image using almost any other method depending what you have or can get a license for.

7. Kari Win User
    The tutorial Kyhi mentioned is using Macrium Reflect to capture and deploy the image. Two weeks ago I explained why Macrium in another reply in that tutorial thread, here's an extract of that post:

Last week another member posted quite similar question as yours in which Macrium as deployment method was further discussed:

Read the whole thread, it's relatively short and might give you some ideas: Customised Windows 10 deployment on multiple desktops and laptops.

8. xy677 Win User

Thanks for the terrific replies. I watched all the Youtube videos posted by Kari and they are fantastic!

Just wanted to check that I am doing this correctly. I am doing this in a test VM but the steps should be the same for a physical machine:

• Installed Win10 Pro and when I got to the customise screen I hit Ctrl+Shift F3 to enter audit mode after it rebooted
    • I then installed all my WinUpdates (and rebooted) as well as my apps
    • Installed the Windows System Manager and saved the unattend.xml file to the Sysprep folder
    • I then ran sysprep /generalize /oobe and the VM shutdown
    • SInce I am using DISM only (and not any 3rd party tool) I captured the image as follows
    Dism /capture-image /imagefile:d:\install.wim /capturedir:d:\ /name:C-Drive

6. I then created a new VM and booted from the media and applied the image with:
    Dism /apply-image /imagefile:d:\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:c:\
    bcdboot c:\windows /l en-EN

This seemed to work fine and after the VM rebooted I could see my customisation.

The questions I have are:

1) Will this captured/applied image keep the Windows Activation across all the laptops that have the same hardware?

2) Will a new unique SID be created for each machine that has the image applied? (these laptops will be joined to the domain)

Thanks again for all the feedback!

xy677, Mar 1, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Thanks *Smile

Windows image made and deployed as per these instructions is not activated and will not be activated when deployed if the machine in question has no digital license for that specific edition.

Licensing is always per machine image will be deployed to. For private users, if the machine has had the same Windows edition previously activated, the new installation / deployment will also be activated. Users should in these case select I don't have a product key option when key is asked in OOBE, digital license based on machine's hardware signature will be automatically applied when installation / deployment is done.

In corporation / organisation environment other activation methods like volume activation can and may be used.

Yes. Each machine the image will be deployed to gets a unique SID (GUID). It will be generated when machine / Windows setup enters OOBE phase.

Kari, Mar 1, 2017
  10. xy677 Win User
    So is it possible for me to use DISM and keep the Windows Activation? These laptops come preactivated and don't have any product keys on them anywhere so what are my options here? We won't/can't use KMS to activate these machines so I need to keep/use the existing Activation that comes with the laptop out the box. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to be prompted to enter a machine name after the machine is imaged using DISM?

xy677, Mar 1, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    I am not sure what you mean with "preactivation"?

Using pre-installed Windows 10, the digital license will be granted first when OOBE has been done and initial user boots to desktop and Windows can contact activation servers. If the digital license exists, Windows 10 will be automatically activated regardless of installation and deployment method as long as installed / deployed edition is the same than existing digital license.

OOBE will generate computer name, it needs to be manually changed when installed / deployed.

12. xy677 Win User
    By preactivate I mean, when I unbox the new laptop, it has Windows 10 already activated (OEM install). That's what I am asking, how can I keep this activation for all laptops once they get imaged using DISM?

xy677, Mar 1, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

@Kari will correct me if I am mistaken, but Windows 10 should read the product key that is stored in the computer's UEFI placed there by the manufacturer and use that product key to activate Windows 10 with assuming the same edition of Winodws 10 is placed on the computer that was there from the manufacturer (Home or Pro). In this situation, the user should not even be asked to enter a product key.

At least that is what happens on a clean install - from the sound of it, that is also what should happen with the installation by image method, as long as no product key is provided in the answer file.

NavyLCDR, Mar 1, 2017
  14. Kari Win User
    It should work just fine, although I have to mention I have a few times had issues with this, forcing me to restore factory image when clean install on brand new laptop failed to activate when clean install was done on first boot, before laptop had never been booted to its pre-installed OS.

After factory reset, booting once to desktop in pre-installed Windows and checking it was activated, clean install could be done with automatic activation.

Not wanting to tell any horror stories, just telling what I have experienced.

15. xy677 Win User
    Thanks Kari but keeping the Windows Activated is key for rolling out these machines. I can't even enter a product key as there is none (I assume its one of these new UEFI, keys in the BIOS machines). I'll have to test this to see how it behaves.

So far the steps I mentioned earlier have been working well in my test VM!

The one extra item I did add (since it annoys me so much and is such a time waster) is to disable that silly animation when you first sign into Windows after installation. You can disable it as follows in the local group policy:

Computer - Admin Templates - System - Logon - Show first sign-in animation (set to disable)

xy677, Mar 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Image Windows 10 laptops with DISM (or other free tool) - Similar Threads - Image laptops DISM

2. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dism / Imaging question: Hello,Personally been a fun year so far, heart surgery, but on the job side I'm FINALLY somewhere where I'm loved and I love the people I'm with, plus I'm learning a crapton of stuff!Ok, a lot of that has delved into dism / imaging and powershell scripting. It really has been...
  3. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dism / Imaging question: Hello,Personally been a fun year so far, heart surgery, but on the job side I'm FINALLY somewhere where I'm loved and I love the people I'm with, plus I'm learning a crapton of stuff!Ok, a lot of that has delved into dism / imaging and powershell scripting. It really has been...
  4. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Mount image with dism

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mount image with dism: Keep getting this errorC:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /mount-image "/imagefile:C:\iso_files\sources\install.wim /index:6 /MountDir:C:\test\offline Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844 Error: 87 The command-line is missing the /mountdir option. For...
  6. Mount image with dism

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount image with dism: Keep getting this errorC:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /mount-image "/imagefile:C:\iso_files\sources\install.wim /index:6 /MountDir:C:\test\offline Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844 Error: 87 The command-line is missing the /mountdir option. For...
  7. Mount image with dism

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 DISM Tool Version 10.0.19041.329 is different than the Image Version 10.0.19041.546.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 DISM Tool Version 10.0.19041.329 is different than the Image Version 10.0.19041.546.: I ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and the Windows 10 DISM Tool Version 10.0.19041.329 is different than the Image Version 10.0.19041.546. How do I fix or update DISM Tool Version? Here are my computer specs in case that matters: OS Name Microsoft Windows...
  9. Free Imaging Apps - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Free Imaging Apps - Windows 10: I currently have Macrium (Free) - I say 'have' rather than 'use' because it's too complicated & Macrium have refused to let me have a User Guide. To make matters worse, every hour they send me a notification that an update is available; when I click on their link, no update...
  10. Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image: How to: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image How to Repair Windows 10 Image using DISM If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem. For example, you would...