Windows 10: Imaging Question (Macruim & AOMEI)

Discus and support Imaging Question (Macruim & AOMEI) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi and thanks for taking the time to look over my question. I was hoping to solicit some opinions in reference to whether or not defragging a HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by b1rd, Mar 1, 2016.

1. b1rd Win User

Imaging Question (Macruim & AOMEI)

Hi and thanks for taking the time to look over my question.

I was hoping to solicit some opinions in reference to whether or not defragging a HDD can cause a system image to become corrupted.

When I create image back ups using both Macrium and AOMEI, I store them on a second internal HDD. I have wondered for years whether or not defragging that same drive poses any 'real' risk to those images?

I am aware that I can go back and re-check the integrity, but I was curious to see if this is something to even be concerned about.

Regards,

:)

b1rd, Mar 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 backup

Will Macruim Reflect copy bit by bit?

Wafflelamp, Mar 1, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    How to rebuild hard drive

Sounds like a System Image program is what you would want. Automatically update that image every week or month,, or daily.. lots of options for how often.

AOMEI Backupper

Macrium Reflect

EaseUs Todo

there are lots... those above are popular & respected by most.

'Mike P, Mar 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Defragging the hard drive always involves some risk. Lose power and the file being written at the exact moment of the power loss might get corrupted. Since the image files are huge single files there is more chance of them getting corrupted than a little 1MB file. For really important "cannot lose" data it's always good to have two backups - with only one in use (connected to the computer) at a time and preferably one of those stored or networked off-site to protect against fire/other physical disasters.

I just ordered one of these for my backup use:
    KINGWIN KF-255-BK Stainless steel Black SATA Internal Tray-Less Hot Swap Rack for SATA HDD - Newegg.com

I have not received it yet, though, so can't comment on it's actual performance. My images are stored on internal hard drives (which will become removable with the hot swap rack) and a second copy on a NAS in my basement.

NavyLCDR, Mar 1, 2016
  5. b1rd Win User
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Yes, I am aware of the more common risks of defragging drive such as you described, but I guess I was curious about what, if any, relationship that might have on the image itself.

The reason that I ask is that I create images pretty much daily. I also like to create them weekly, after I've updated everything, scans, etc. (My pre-image tune-ups).

The weekly ones are the ones I want to make sure are more secure as far as their integrity. I normally run a defrag the night before on the second drive for those back ups, however there are times that I forget to. So, I've often delayed the back ups until after a complete defrag has been completed on the receiving drive, just in case it does matter.

Years ago I was a user of TrueImage, which I liked. However, one time when I needed it, I learned that the back up was corrupted. This was before we were able to verify the images through the program. TrueImage had a small separate utility that they sent to me after I complained about the image not working.

After that experience I became a but hypersensitive with keeping my back ups safe, so I use a few different programs. I do back them up to an external HDD, as well as a USB 3.0 drive too, however those are only monthly.

Anyhow, thanks again. This was more out of curiosity then anything else.

b1rd, Mar 1, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just curious, why run defrag so often on a hard drive that appears to only be used for backups? It's just creating extra wear and tear on the hard drive. Defragging provides a performance boost for a hard drive that is providing files for the operating system and I just don't see the benefit to running it on a hard drive that is only storing backup images.

What difference does it make if the image file is fragmented on the hard drive when it is only going to be written once and maybe read once?

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2016
  7. b1rd Win User
    With 20-25 GB of data per image file, and perhaps 3-5 image files deleted and replaced with newer files each week, I thought the drive might have become pretty fragmented. I was also hoping to keep the image files more continuous, rather than have them scattered. I was also under the impression that a drive with less fragmentation is easier to recover data from if there's big problems.

However, I think some (most) of it is out of habit, as I made the leap to Win-10 from XP. Yeah, perhaps I need to step away from old way of thinking.

Thanks,

b1rd, Mar 2, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I suppose that would probably be true, but that would be for forensic recovery when the hard drive fails. Personally, I would rather pay less than $100 for a second drive for a second backup than waiting for the single backup drive to fail at the same time my operating primary drive failed and hoping forensic recovery could get my backup image back.

But really, I think defragging the backup drive at least weekly would be contributing more towards it's earlier failure than contributing to the chances of retrieving that backup image when it does fail.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2016
  9. b1rd Win User
    I agree, thanks. I just need to ween myself off of the old habits.

I remember when doing defrags was all the rage. I was always in search of the best (free) one.

The comparison studies, which made me wonder and even think, that if I switched to their band of program, then I would notice a vast improvement in performance. I never did. I even remember the defrag programs that would run continuously in the background, however I never used them myself.

Anyhow, thanks again. At this point I do plan on reducing the defrags.

b1rd, Mar 2, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Oh yeah, I remember those days too! All those little squares on the Windows 3.1 screen that would turn from red to green Imaging Question (Macruim & AOMEI) :)

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Imaging Question (Macruim & AOMEI) - Similar Threads - Imaging Question Macruim

2. AOMEI Backupper

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    AOMEI Backupper: I am a long time user of Image For Windows and Macrium Reflect, but in the past few months, I have been testing AOMEI Backupper. I think the main reasons that I started exploring other backup options are: I am a data security freak, and love imaging applications. *Smile Since...
  3. BSOD when AOMEI Backupper starts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when AOMEI Backupper starts: Have had two occurrences of this BSOD but since the AOMEI product has previously been running for quite some time with no problem I think this was triggered by something else. I suspect that it has something to do with the "sleep" facility used by aVast Clean Up. 112535
  4. Is AOMEI BackUpperFull.exe safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is AOMEI BackUpperFull.exe safe?: I recently had my PC technician over to try to backup my pc. He went and got a program called Aomei Backupper. On the site it strangely had the option to download from Cnet so he did. In the end it wasn't to our liking cause it was limited in what it could do so we...
  5. Help needed with AOMEI Backupper

Help needed with AOMEI Backupper: I have just got up the momentum to do a system backup only to find Backupper (Standard) is not showing the C drive. It shows other drives, including the target USB. But it says the program cannot find the system partition. If I try another option it displays all the connected...
  6. Free - AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.5

Free - AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.5: AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.5 is free today. Key features: System, disk, partition, files and folders backup and restore; Restore a system backup image to dissimilar hardware; Support full, incremental, differential, and automatic backups; System and disk clone for OS...
  7. Aomei Backupper Pro free

Aomei Backupper Pro free: You can get Aomei Backupper Pro on giveaway. The key given at the link also works for the just released Backupper Pro v4.0.2 Seems to be going to the 8th January. AOMEI Backupper Professional Giveaway 73717
  8. AOMEI Backerupper

AOMEI Backerupper: Just did a clean install of the latest Win10 and tried to install Backerupper but with the latest (1607) of Win 10 the OS is really tightened up on installing any software with un-signed drivers......... My motherboard will not allow turning off of Secure Boot so there is...
  9. Aomei Comand Line Functions questions

Aomei Comand Line Functions questions: I know that most everybody here uses Macrium Reflect and so do I, but I'm a disaster recovery freak and also use Aomei for a secondary backup. I was using the free backerupper for couple of years now. When I first purchased M.R., I set up several backup command line backups...
  10. Aomei backup

Aomei backup: I am trying Aomei backup. When I click on the disc backup it appears that both MBR and C:\ are included but the next step, even after adding the word add, seems to include only C:\. Does anyone know if this invisible MBR is included in the back up? I also would like to ask...